ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 128GT '59' owner - advice and help needed please

Clio 128 GT '59'
A quick introduction, i'm a motorbike man at heart, an active member of some bike forums, i love anything with an engine that goes fast (where legally possible) and love track days, that's where i get my speed kicks now. Yet i also love the 4 wheel fun arena too, and although now living up in London from home in Cornwall, i still like to enjoy a spirited run in a car when possible. I'm based down near Walton-on-Thames for reference.

Well it's taken a while, yet i managed to find a 59' plate Clio 128GT in blue to satisfy my small, yet nimble fast car wish list, yes budget was a consideration, however what a cracking little car.

I bought it 'up north' and drove home some 350 miles without a gripe or issue, knowing it was a CAT D, the chap i bought it from didn't really know too much about the car (don't worry HPI and VIN numbers all checked out OK), it had a little bit of wear on it, it has the odd thing that needs doing, i was surprised with what a cracking long journey car it was!

Whatever vehicle i have i love to bring them up to full standard spec (maybe the odd new addition) so its 100% correct and looking great, hence a few jobs to do. I wondered if you helpful chaps can offer some advice how to sort them, quickly and cheaply please:-
  1. Locking wheel nut is missing
    • I've found some guys locally (recommended by ATS) who can cut them off for £10 a wheel
    • Who should i approach for a new set of locking nuts? Renault main dealer or Halfords or someone from the forum even...?
  2. I only have one spare key and want another for spare of course
    • I phoned the main dealer and they want £180 for a new one and coded into the car - any alternative suggestions?
  3. Service Book and Car Manual
    • The seller cannot find them at all, i know what you're thinking yet its had a service as the service indicator popped up saying ones due in 13.4k miles
    • Renault weren't that helpful, so where can i get the Service Manual and Owners Manual from as i will be having it serviced regularly and want to keep a record
  4. New floor mats to fit 59' model Clio
    • Wow, there are a lot of options out there, (as mine is Electric Blue so be nice to reflect this in the mats) so any advice on which to go for guys or girls?
  5. MOT Certificate missing - yet one has been done as i checked with Gov. website
    • They say you can get another for £10 from an MOT station with the V5 doc. (currently being sent off to register me as the new owner)
    • Any Clio friendly garages you'd recommend?
  6. Front fog lights don't seem to work when dipped beams are active
    • I know it's weird they work when turning at night with main lights on (yet clever they work when lights on to help with where you're turning at night)
    • The dashboard light works fine showing green for fronts when the stick switch is turned to on, yet no fog lights at the front
    • The Rear works fine!
  7. The Front Grill is there (Black) yet the engine guard/cover/screen behind the front spoiler is missing (i think there should be one) so the radiator is a straight through from the front grill
    • Should there be one? Who would you suggest i approach to get one?
  8. Passenger Door seal is split by the rear window where it meets the body
    • How easy is it to change? Any advice to follow would be great? I suppose a main dealer is good place for this part?
  9. Tools and Jack Plastic Ring Holder in the bought is split and rattles
    • I presume a Renault main dealer is best for a replacement?
    • Also, who/where would you recommend for a replacement set of tools (towing hook, spanners etc.)
  10. Rear left passenger seat belt roof hook - i presume there should be one as the seat belt currently just hangs from the roof
    • Again any advice otherwise its Renault main dealer again
I appreciate that's a massive list guys, yet any advice, help or pointing in the right direction would be very welcome indeed!

Thanks, Cornish

AG 200 CUP
Welcome nice too see another GT :) lot of stuff there but i got Renault sport mats from ebay they 197 mats fit the GT. My door seals on both sides have gone i think it's a common problem i have looked online and it's £20for a pair of the seals but I'm not sure about fitting them the part number is 8200341503 gets some pics up :)

Clio 128 GT '59'
Rossi1989, awesome, thanks for the code for the seals, ordered! Get in their Cliosport.net - excellent response Rossi1989!

Any chance you know the code for the hub locking nuts and wheel locking nuts too? I need to order those and appreciate they're model specific. Cheers.

Cornish

Welcome nice too see another GT :) lot of stuff there but i got Renault sport mats from ebay they 197 mats fit the GT. My door seals on both sides have gone i think it's a common problem i have looked online and it's £20for a pair of the seals but I'm not sure about fitting them the part number is 8200341503 gets some pics up :)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
You should be able to order another locking wheel nut from Renault via your chassis number ( if the clownshoe @ Renault knows what they are doing)
Keys are expensive, £140 ish coded if you can find a coder -

You can buy a new service book from Renault- If its been to Renault it should be on the system.
Handbook try Ebay.
S

Clio 128 GT '59'
R-Sport Cars LTD thanks for the advice!!
im off to the dealer on Saturday to so source some more bits so will most probably order the key from them too.

​Cheers. Cornish

You should be able to order another locking wheel nut from Renault via your chassis number ( if the clownshoe @ Renault knows what they are doing)
Keys are expensive, £140 ish coded if you can find a coder -

You can buy a new service book from Renault- If its been to Renault it should be on the system.
Handbook try Ebay.
S

Clio 128 GT '59'
Hi guys and girls, well I've been a busy bunny and sported quite a lot on the list because of the great help on the forum already, thanks!!!

I've only go the below now to sort so any help or guidance would be most appreciated:-
  1. I only have one spare key and want another for spare of course
    • I phoned the main dealer and they want £180 for a new one and coded into the car - any alternative suggestions?
  2. MOT Certificate missing - yet one has been done as i checked with Gov. website
    • They say you can get another for £10 from an MOT station with the V5 doc. (currently being sent off to register me as the new owner)
    • Any Clio friendly garages you'd recommend?
  3. Front fog lights don't seem to work when dipped beams are active
    • I know it's weird they work when turning at night with main lights on (yet clever they work when lights on to help with where you're turning at night)
    • The dashboard light works fine showing green for fronts when the stick switch is turned to on, yet no fog lights at the front
    • The Rear works fine!
  4. The Front Grill is there (Black) yet the engine guard/cover/screen behind the front spoiler is missing (i think there should be one) so the radiator is a straight through from the front grill
    • Should there be one? Who would you suggest i approach to get one?

Thanks in advance again guys, Cornish

Clio 128 GT '59'
OK any update for you...

No1.
Well I've now got a blank key fob and then a separate working pre-owned key fob for the car all from eBay, so I'm hoping i can get the key cut at somewhere like Stimpsons on the high street and then go to Renault to programme it. What do you guys and girls reckon? or is there anyone else based in Surrey

No. 2
OK, having now sent off the V5 for a registration transfer i'll have to wait for this to do, yet Renault said they'd be able to sort it.

No3.
No further forward on this, can anyone suggest some actions? I did reckon there was a 'sensor' that only allowed them to come on when it is foggy, yet i experienced that over the weekend and it didn't happen. Any suggestion on how to get the front ones working when i turn them on?

No4.
Sorry to say no further forward with this either, again any suggestions on what should be behind it? I was thinking of getting some very thin mesh, spray and cut it to fit and place it on the back just to protect the radiator from stones and damage whilst driving, what do you reckon to this as a solution?

Finally, I've updated my other thread as the guy who has just finished off refurbishing my rims was AMAZING!!!! highly recommend them via this thread...http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...l-Nut-size-for-59-model&p=9755439#post9755439

I have to say i'm really, really, really enjoying driving the Clio GT, it's a solid, comfortable, focused and reliable motor, so glad i went for this as my little run around, as it covered a trip home to Cornwall, fast A and B road driving (with the misses saying "my god this things is a go-cart")and then back with no problems at all!!!!

Looking forward to the helpful comments please, thanks, Cornish

Clio 128 GT '59'
no 3... maybe just a knackered stalk?

Fair point! They're defo working yet not at the stalk. Is there a test I or a dealer could do?

By the way I was travelling up the M40 yesterday in the outside lane when the van in front of me broke hard and a ladder appeared from underneath it which hit the front of my car!!! So Renault reckon £2.5k damage. Just my luck eh. I'm fine and the car is drivable yet what a bloody pain it will be to sort it!