ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 200T Driven on track

Trophy #267
Today I attended the Brands Hatch RS trackday at which 3 x new LHD Clio 200 Turbo's were in attendance, with a flame red available to drive which I did at 3pm when the track had dried out.

I managed to have a play in the 200T when it was dry and had and interesting time.
Coming from the 5 gear Clio Trophy to the 6 speeed flapy paddle DSG box I did seem to struggle with no end of things being 'different'.
Also LHD meant A pillar was in the way for the 2 left handers which I seemed to struggle with a touch all day.

On the other hand
Noise
It sounds almost silent when watching it go around but inside the cab sounds no different to any other car !
Engine
Pulls like a train ! Was most noticably quicker from the off than any Clio I have driven before
Handling
Absolutely fine. Ride isnt harsh, balance is good, turn in good and is certainly well balanced and fun.
My main comparison is to my Trophy and it isnt as twitchy as that which is personal as the whether that is good or bad.

Gearbox and flappy paddle are somewhat subjective. In a 5 speed box my gear changes were spot on for Brands Indy, yet in the 6 speed box they had moved completely (When i drove the megane later the points matched my Trophy though curiously).
Also, I struggled to often pick which gear I was in which is shown via number in the middle of the speedo.

I am also not overly struck on the interior of the dashboard. The enhanced monitor / screen seems to be an afterthought which is attached on top of the main panel. This appeared the same to the non RS models too.

Summary is plus points are very good, negative points are very subjective as ultimately 'different'
The fact is the F4R is dead, but it has evolved and we may need to adapt too.
In many aspects it is better, in others it is differnet characteristics, some of which will be hated when different opinions will love them !!!
End route is go book a test drive and choose for yourself as going what anyone else says may not match your tastes and driving style !

wpid-20130410_135908.jpgwpid-20130410_120817.jpgwpid-20130410_120752.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very surprised that this thread has generated such little interest.

Probably the very first 'personal experience' of the new car, and now everyone has gone quiet.

Evo
I for one expect this car to be quite special despite being written off before its release by enthusiasts everywhere. Really looking forward to a test drive!

RB 182 195bhp
Very interesting review. Although you say most things are just different, I think going down the 1.6 turbo route means it has no real difference to the competition. Before being a 2 litre N/A it was on its own within the class giving it individuality. Especially bearing in mind the Mini Cooper s and fiesta st are both 3 door and manual. I think this will be the killing of the new r.s. All IMO of course