ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clio in auto express

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 15 September 2004

this week.

Good shots.
Good shots maybe, but not a good looking car! :cry:

Bushwhacked! Next Clio Falls Into Our Trap

Exclusive first pictures in this weeks mag reveal Renaults next-generation Clio. And our spies caught it undisguised from a secret hide-out in the roadside bushes!
This is the third evolution of the popular hatch, and in terms of sales it will be the most important model in the line-up. Every part of the car has been revised, and its clear to see from the mags pictures that inspiration has come from the Mégane, Modus and Vel Satis. The most striking design feature is at the back, with a vertical crease running down the centre of the tailgate.
The new model goes on sale late next year - and according to insiders, it cant arrive in showrooms soon enough. Thats because the current machine is based on a platform that can be traced back to 1998. While the Clio remains a force to be reckoned with, a new line-up of superminis is being readied by Renaults competitors that looks sure to increase the pressure on the existing model. These include the forthcoming Peugeot 207 and next-generation

Vauxhall Corsa, both due in 2005.
To ensure the newcomer has what it takes to tempt buyers, it will not only be larger than the current car, but also offer greater refinement and luxury. It will share its platform and some technology with the Nissan Micra, so customers can expect keyless entry and starting, as well as rain-sensing wipers and automatic headlights. Options will include air-con and satellite-navigation.
Both three and five-door versions will be offered at launch. Renault is also expected to develop a saloon and a five-seater mini-MPV based on the Ellypse concept from 2002s Paris Motor Show.
A new engine line-up is being developed, too, including 75bhp 1.2, 98bhp 1.4 and 115bhp 1.6-litre petrol powerplants. Diesel fans will have a choice of 68bhp, 82bhp and 100bhp evolutions of the companys 1.5-litre dCi unit.
Safety is likely to be a top priority on the Clio; anything less than a five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating would be seen as a failure by Renault bosses.

Dan Strong

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Its a lot more subtle than it looks.

I like the rear, not so keen on the front.

At least the sport model will differ looks wise!

Meg on pistonheads £6995

larger than the current car, but also offer greater refinement and luxury.

did we buy Clios for this reason?

so customers can expect keyless entry and starting, as well as rain-sensing wipers and automatic headlights. Options will include air-con and satellite-navigation.

have got or can get underlined ones already!

Diesel fans will have a choice of 68bhp, 82bhp and 100bhp evolutions of the companys 1.5-litre dCi unit.

But heavier, larger and more refined, so will be (and feel cos refinement) slower and probably LESS economical! Ring me back to trade-in when it has a 6speed 120HP dCi

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 15 September 2004

Bless auto express.

some of that article is a bit tosh

i was thinking that, with the saloon bit they make it look as if its a 1st for the clio.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

If they dont make a PROPER D-Sport...........

......... Im buying a crashed Fab VRS to cannibalise with a Clio shell

170BHP 6 speed chipped turbo D pulling only 980kg instead of 1280! :D

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by paddymph on 15 September 2004

wheres the pics then??
Buy the Auto Express and youll see them!

Second thoughts - dont bother as it doesnt look very nice. :cry:

The backs not as bad as I though but the front is worse.

68hp and 82hp dci. I bet these are the present 65 and 80dci engine with absolutly no change as there renounded to make more power than they claim so maybe Renault has had to come clean.

The NEW engine line up looks the same as the present one.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Snufty on 15 September 2004

That is dog ugly
EXACTLY!! But dont insult dogs!

I would never ever buy another Clio if that was the only model - YUK!!

its just plain wrong full stop, and if thats wot the shape of clios to come is like, then im gonna get a hot rod, at least i know they cant change the shape of that

Aint too bad! :eek:

I quite like the back even if it is a cross with Fiesta/Pug307/Astra.

I agree that the front looks a bit sh*te but this defo looks like bottom of the range. Imagine it lowered ... a LOT ... and it isnt *that* bad!

[hides]

Octavia VRS

looks worse than the artist pictures posted on this b4!

HATE IT

- too high

- wheels look tiny

- looks S**T!!!

will look better when it is lowered on low 16inch low profiles and a few spoilers thrown in I am sure.

I am sure we will all look long and hard at the Clio Sport version when it is available.

New Golf Gti looks good though

7.6cc :D

Im not overly offended by it, im sure it will look better when we see pics of the 2 door version.

Remember you all hated the current shaped clio when it was released too.

Its probably a prototype. It does say spy shots after-all, its not as if its been fully released by the press office at Renault. Ill be buying the old shape 182 if it looks anything like that.

I agree with JillyB ... I *hated* the current Clio shape when I first saw it and was totally convinced it would flop.

I now own one!

This one doesnt look nearly as shocking in my opinion ... and I actually like the back (from the crappy photo anyway)

Looks like a Reno 14 to me (if you cant remember it was like a fat b**tard version of a 5). Perhaps the Clio is reaching middle age and letting itself go a bit...?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Ive got the original pics from when it was first reviewed by a french mag a year ago. Ive posted them before somewhere. They are the final design as far as im aware.