ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Daily Beater

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I wasn’t going to make a thread on this but what the hell.

There was nothing wrong with the T5, it was lovely, comfortable, fast, smooth but also only did 20mpg on my commute. I knew they weren’t good on juice but it really did start to get on my nerves the amount of times I was stopping at the petrol station.

So, I went on the lookout for something a little more economical for the rest of the year and came across this on Facebook.

Behold, the Peugeot 405 td

4ECF109B-8CC2-454E-8D58-C05F05795776.jpeg

It’s a bit rough - was on a farm so was covered in cow s**t but the seller was a funny guy so I thought I’d have a punt at £450.

Got it back and gave it a clean. It’s not too bad for an old bus and drives really nice. Have done the oil and air filter change and got some other bits coming.

4AD33E26-0D72-412A-BF9E-62FE78EEE599.jpeg

727ACF99-F51B-4782-909A-D6AFB6CF251C.jpeg

BAD608B1-4A95-4C26-8772-792A3B997A24.jpeg

C6313990-569F-4A23-A3B2-1A08324EFD30.jpeg

With having the Bosch pump I can apparently run veg. So, I’ve stuck a 50% mix of veg in to see how it goes. It’s £16 for 20 litres from farm foods so works out at 80p a litre which is a fair saving.

C827F078-A127-4176-B3C5-B4396D5F6394.jpeg

So, that’s about it. Will be running for a few months and hopefully when my mortgage is renewed I’ll be able to plunge myself back into debt and get something a bit more tasty!!

535d / t5 caravelle
your where definitely born in the wrong era, bet its nice a comfy though, im getting something comfortable next.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If there was ever an advert to show police don’t get paid enough!

I’m joking, fair play for being mad and enjoying older cars.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Good cars, engines are bulletproof. My x had one that had been a taxi, had 300thou on the clock and still run mint. Rest of the car was fucked lol.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
These must be getting pretty rare now.

Proper engine though, is it the same 1.9 lump that was in the 306? They used to make some nice turbo noises with a decat.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I’m sure you can turn up the boost on these with an Allen key of something daft.

Nice to see something different! I ran veg oil a few years ago on a Citroen zx volcane, bulletproof engines. I carried a spare filter and associated tools in the boot for a fuel filter change incase I got caught out which I did once.

Not sure if you're aware but veg oil does a great job of cleaning the tank, so that filter clogs up eventually.

arChi69

ClioSport Club Member
Good cars, friend used to have one about 14 years ago. Was bulletproof and economical.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice to see something different! I ran veg oil a few years ago on a Citroen zx volcane, bulletproof engines. I carried a spare filter and associated tools in the boot for a fuel filter change incase I got caught out which I did once.

Not sure if you're aware but veg oil does a great job of cleaning the tank, so that filter clogs up eventually.

Yeah, got told that the other day so have ordered a couple off Euro. It’s only 4 Allen bolts and it’s done.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, got told that the other day so have ordered a couple off Euro. It’s only 4 Allen bolts and it’s done.

After it's cleaned the system out you're usually pretty sorted.

Be aware the fuel filter housing/lid has a weird habit of warping, and the seals at the bottom perish and leak.
If it does liberal amounts of silicone sort it out, you'll need to decrease the thing before obviously for the silicone to stick.

IIRC you can mod the filter housing to increase coolant flow and get the veg warmer, which helps in the winter.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
It’s always interesting seeing what you’ll buy. Genuinely doesn’t even surprise me what you’ll drive around in?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
This the same XUD engine that's in the 306 D Turbo's? I had a phase 1, there was 3 different turbo variants and 2 fuel pump, Bosch and Lucas.

Bosch is the pump to have because it's easier to adjust the fuelling and can run on veg oil. There's the max fuel screw which has a little metal tag on it to stop you adjusting, it just pops off with a screw driver though. Then you have the "UFO" which is the boost compensator. The one I had meant I could adjust the actuator from inside the wheel arch kind of area with an allen key and a small spanner. It was running about 23psi of boost during my ownership. Hilarious bags of s**t they are.