ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Exhaust, Which one?

I'm looking for a new exhaust in the next couple of weeks.

Been looking on the Ktec Website mainly. Seems at the minute it's between the Ktr Sports Cat and Cat Back or the Milltek equivalent.

I was leading towards the Ktr products. But a friend who also owns a 182 told me at the weekend that the Ktec products are very loud and on the verge of being more 'boy racer' ish??

My main aim is for a system that is more free flowing and improves performance etc, I don't really care about the sound too much, I definitely don't want it to sound like a 1L Corsa with a huge exhaust though! The car will be used on a lot of track days so it needs to be below the maximum noise level of 95-100 DB.

So from your experiences, what are the options available? Are Ktr products 'too' loud? Are Milltek the best? What do you own?

Thanks, Martin

Seat Ibiza
JP exhausts seem to get a few votes as I've been reading up myself! Which Ktec also sell. Look at a few videos on here, if not there's plenty on YouTube!

But everyone is awaiting an decent set up from Fred @ BTM.

Listerine & Poledo
Exhaust will give you no real improvement in output, but it will make more noise.

If you're going to remap etc, then fair enough, but if it's just to replace a dieing exhaust, I'd just still with an OEM exhaust.

I know it wont give any real improvement, but yeah the old one is dying and I've heard the standard back boxes etc are very restrictive. I do want it to sound a bit nicer and louder too, just not excessively loud like its a chav car if you know what I mean.

Listerine & Poledo
Might be a tough call then, as from what I've seen (heard) aftermarket boxes all seem to be about making the car sound like an embarassment.

my 172 has OEM back box but when I replaced the centre section with a pattern part it definaltey changed the tone of the exhaust.

The only thing with OEM is that, from what everyone says, they're not the hardest wearing bits of kit. Might be better on 182 boxes though.

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Ive got a piper system on mine and when the cat was one it wasnt noticable until you put your foot down but it still wasnt very loud but now ive decatted its only just noticable with normal driving and its louder when you put your foot down but it dosent drone and you can still talk to passengers or listen to radio

I would highly reccomend the piper sytem to anyone from my own experiance

Listerine & Poledo
noticeable from inside the car, or outside?

That's the rub. It could be nearly silent from the drivers seat, but it's the noise it makes to everyone else that can be the embarassment

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Both realy with the cat in it sounds as if its a standard fit exhaust but just gives off enough sound to know it isnt

Not got any videos i need to get one sorted though

PB Clio 172
I went from Full stainless to a OEM exhaust

never looked back and so glad I did it ! Cause its OEM I get no knocks and it sits perfect !

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
If you don't want noisy, you want the Janspeed sport system, and leave the standard cat alone. I supply and fit a lot of these as they're very sensible systems which are not noisy

I'm a strong advocate of the piper 182 exhaust, but it is a bit noisier than it sounds like you want. Beautifully made and the best you'll buy for performance (as a supporting mod to a high output engine)

I don't mind some noise, I've looked at many videos online for Milltek back boxes and think these sound good!! So would be after something similar to that level.

Surely if the standard cat is on its way out though, it's better to replace it with a sports cat rather than just another OEM one. Especially if its similar money...

Clio Sport 182
what's a cat back involve? i too need a new exhaust, but id like to get something with a deeper tone and give a bit of a power gain.

Also what's legal and what's not? On my bike i just have a removable baffle for when it goes in for the MOT?