ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New French Car

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
It will break time and time again. It really is the worst engine. Funnily enough one of my neighbours has a mini with the same engine which had broken down the weekend.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
TBF a lot of the problems with the engine can now be fixed from fitting the parts from the 208 GTI and the RCZ it just means more cost and more work for me .

The engine is a great little unit but has a lot of small faults on the first gen engines .

At least I will be keep entertained at weekends fixing it LOL

I do still like it tho even with the faults .

Alan

It will break time and time again. It really is the worst engine. Funnily enough one of my neighbours has a mini with the same engine which had broken down the weekend.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you're looking at the bright side matey.

Although you'd likely be the first person to class the engine as great lol.

STICKER TWONK

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf GTi DSG
Looks ok, seats look ace, if its anything like the 1.4 my mrs used to have, ok to drive, handles ok, ok interior, just ok at everything.

Just not sure what sells this car to anyone, isn't there much better offerings for similar money, similar age, similar mileage?

Where I used to live in Sutton in Ashfield, there was a lad up road from me who had a silver one, looked fairly modded. It sounded really good and looked smart but still never looked like it'd be anything other then ok.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Without sounding harsh, I really don't think Peugeot are making exciting/appealing cars at the moment.

TBH they haven't for a long time IMO.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
This is spot on I would say it is good at everything amazing at none .

This was the best car to fit my bill for the moment for price performance mpg age toys etc

Will not excite most people as does not do anything amazing .

Alan

Looks ok, seats look ace, if its anything like the 1.4 my mrs used to have, ok to drive, handles ok, ok interior, just ok at everything.

Just not sure what sells this car to anyone, isn't there much better offerings for similar money, similar age, similar mileage?

Where I used to live in Sutton in Ashfield, there was a lad up road from me who had a silver one, looked fairly modded. It sounded really good and looked smart but still never looked like it'd be anything other then ok.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yes same here as I have had x 2 106 GTI x 2 306 GTI-6 x 1 206 GTI ( not good ) and a few 106 D and 306 HDI .

The 208 GTI is said to be more like it and the RCZR is much more like it LOL

Alan

Without sounding harsh, I really don't think Peugeot are making exciting/appealing cars at the moment.

TBH they haven't for a long time IMO.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Find me a forum for a car that isn't full of people fixing issues. That's just cars for you. French reliability rep needs to die now.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yes this is true .

The build on this is so much better than it was on the older units .

Just has a few problems ( that every car will have ) that are being sorted now .

Alan

Find me a forum for a car that isn't full of people fixing issues. That's just cars for you. French reliability rep needs to die now.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
This is what I am doing at the mo to fix the small faults with the engine .

Direct injection engines, such as the EP6-DT and EP6-DTS by Peugeot/Citroen,
suffer from combustion residue buildup on the intake valves. Because fuel is injected directly into the combustion
chamber, it does not go through the intake manifold to clear the valves - as would happen with an indirect injection engine.
Oil residues on the valve stem builds up and becomes solid over time.
The solid residues cause loss of power because they block air flow through the engine.

Peugeot_1_6_THP_combustion_residues1.jpg

Peugeot_1_6_THP_combustion_residues1b.jpg

The extent of the problem can be easily seen with the valves removed from the engine.
Peugeot_1_6_THP_combustion_residues2.jpg

The valves have change shape because of the residues.
They have now become cones, blocking airflow.
Peugeot_1_6_THP_combustion_residues3.jpg

Exhaust valves have no such problem because exhaust gas flows at very high temperatures.
Peugeot_1_6_THP_combustion_residues4.jpg

Comparing a used valve with a cleaned one.
Peugeot_1_6_THP_combustion_residues5.jpg

Peugeot_1_6_THP_combustion_residues6.jpg

Stopping oil from getting into the intake manifold directly from the crankcase
The latest and greatest modification for getting rid of oil in our intake manifold, which is causing so many problems in the cylinder head and intake valves, comes from Peugeot themselves.

The new RCZ and 308GTI with the THP200 engine have a small difference in their intake manifold compared to the older models.
While the manifold body is the same, there is a very small cap that closes the rear PCV hose in the THP200 engine, which does not exist on the THP150 and 175hp engines.

PCV is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system, which forces blowby gases back (and a lot of oil coming with it) in the intake system.

This cap is very cheap and available from Peugeot (part code 0361S4 ), using it saves the trouble of having to clean your intake from oil and combustion residues.

The difference between the intake manifolds can be seen in the following pictures from Peugeot Servicebox.

intakemanifold_thp150-175.jpg

Part number 8 is the cap that closes the PCV return hose from the engine to the intake manifold.

intakemanifold_thp200.jpg

Installing the cap in THP150 / 175 engines

First remove the rear PCV return hose. Press the clip to release it from the engine cover.
5.jpg

enginebay_pcv_return1.jpg

Intake manifold side
Press the clip on the intake manifold to release the hose again.
enginebay_pcv_return1-intakemanifold.jpg

The cap that solves our problems
tapa_1.jpg

tapa_2.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Remove the hose from the engine bay.
pcv_return_hose.jpg

Install the caps
1.jpg

3.jpg

Both caps installed, no more oil in the intake manifold.

Grier

ClioSport Club Member
  A clio...
does this also mean that the R56 mini issue is solved as it is the same engine iirc ?
if so then there are some good used bargains to be had

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Surely two caps don't sort it? The mini lads have been running catch cans for years and still get problems..

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Well we shall see but this is said to sort the problem out so you don't have to clean the valves and inlet out .

This is the only change on the 208 GTI and the RCZ and I don't think they have any more problems

Alan

Surely two caps don't sort it? The mini lads have been running catch cans for years and still get problems..

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Over the weekend I took the inlet manifold off to clean the valves .

Also I changed the spark plugs , coil packs BOV , boost control valve , Canister Depollution system eletro valve and the BOV and cut and crimped the wires .

Also put a K & N panel filter in along with an oil and filter change .

some pic

The problem after 75 K miles with direct injection

2012-07-24%252013.33.32.jpg

2012-07-24%252013.48.46.jpg

50% cleaned
2012-07-24%252015.06.11.jpg

99% cleaned
2012-07-24%252016.02.16.jpg

The old with solder bodge

WP_20140730_0011_zps51e49425.jpg

New

WP_20140812_0011_zps9fa62a47.jpg

The car drives so much better and pick up is so much moor .

I have been told that cleaning the valves can give the car back around 20 BHP :)

Next up will be to fit new discs and DS2500 pads and then look at a remap .

Alan

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Inlet manifold off turn crank to get first 2 valves closed then sea foam brush dentist tools and other bits .

Took a long time but was worth doing by the looks of the state the valves were in .

Car drives much better now im guessing to the increased air flow .

Alan

Good work on the valves. How did you clean it though?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
How do you know your car is direct injection? Just curious for future purchases.

LY R26 #288
LOL yes I seem to be the only one who likes it :)

I can tell you are keen but I will not swap for your R26 and cash my way no matter how nice you ask :)

Alan

Lol. What I can't work out is you buy a car spend loads of money on it then sell it within months lol.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Inlet manifold off turn crank to get first 2 valves closed then sea foam brush dentist tools and other bits .

Took a long time but was worth doing by the looks of the state the valves were in .

Car drives much better now im guessing to the increased air flow .

Alan

Ah I see. God knows what mine will be like. Would have been worth some beer tokens if you weren't so far! lol

Fiesta ST Stage 3
3 days of cleaning the Fu*kers so not a fun job but worth it .

All of the spray in stuff does bugger all so it really is a inlet manifold off job FYI

Ah I see. God knows what mine will be like. Would have been worth some beer tokens if you weren't so far! lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Looks an ok car tbh - just a shame they have those issues with the engine.

Will be interesting to see if your clean-up and new caps help keep it running free of build-up :)

D.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
+ I have ordered a oil catch can for the front PCV so we shall see .

Alan

Looks an ok car tbh - just a shame they have those issues with the engine.

Will be interesting to see if your clean-up and new caps help keep it running free of build-up :)

D.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
A few pic of the fresh wax job ( no tyre shine )

WP_20140821_0021_zpsf9ca1111.jpg

WP_20140817_0011_zpsb400fde1.jpg

WP_20140816_0021_zps2ecd407c.jpg

WP_20140816_0011_zps24092dd4.jpg

Also thought I would post my thoughts on the car as a whole after 5 weeks odd of living with it for people who may be looking at them now they are a good price .

Cost

The car £ 3500 and is a 2007 with 74K on it with FPSH and has the Octane pack so I would say they are GVFM on this account .

The MPG is 39.2 on the book but on the trip computer on my run to work its 44.7 MPG ( pic below ) and £ 20.00 will do me 165 miles of mixed driving .

WP_20140822_0011_zps08a7ebe8.jpg

Most of the parts can be got from Eurocarparts or other places and are not to expensive ( a set of x 4 Bosh coil packs was £ 58.70 )

Tax is £ 200 for the year and insurance is £ 201 for me at 31 years of age .

Toys

The cars with the octane packs come with below as std
Dual zone C/C
Auto wipers lights
ESP + EBD
Power folding mirrors
Direction sidelights
tinted back window
cruse control
rear parking sensors
trip computer

Looks

Each to there own but not so in your face as say a CTR .

Small front splitter side skirts rear boot spoiler 17" pit lane alloys Rear tints and a dual exhaust .

The front is not so good but I don't mind this or the badging on the side .

Handling / Feel

T
he grip and body roll are very good and with 1325 KG it handles well and does not feel to light and un planted . It has lots of grip from the 205/45/R17 tyres .

The bad points for keen drivers will be the numb and light steering . As this is EPS it will all ways suffer and in some ways feels like my old CTR so this will anoy some people

Gearbox

Better than some of the ones I have used in the 206 GTI / 106 GTI etc but nothing amazing the movement is short but not amazing feel TBH

Breaks

Big calipers
and 304 mm front discs it does stop very well . Some better pads would help as well .
Might be a touch over servo for track driving but at stopping the car they are very good .

Engine

This is the best / worst past of the car .

The engine is a cracker in term of what it can do on paper .
1.6 VVT with direct injection and a twin scroll turbocharger 175 BHP and 195 LB/FT and can return 39.2 MPG .

Can be remapped to 205 BHP and 240 LB/FT with ease .

As this is a first gen engine it suffers from a few niggles shall we say LOL

Oil / Carbon build up on the valves , Timing chain stretching knocking out the timing , oil consumption , BOV problems , HPFP problems .

Most of the problems can now be fixed with the upgraded parts from Peugeot and some suffer more that others .

Overview

The best way I could sum up the car for me is it is a jack of all trades master of none . It does every thing well but nothing amazing .

As a day to day car it is very good IMHO it is not as focused as say the other hot hatch of the CTR or Clio cup but then it is not trying to be .

Build quality of the car is much better than old Peugeots and every thing feels solid not amazing in quality but solid .

As an overall package it works well for me at the moment and there is not lots of them on the road as well ( due to knackered engines :) ) .

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Small update I put in some Ring Xeon bulbs and some Cree LED side lights along with the oil catch can at the weekend .

WP_20140823_0051_zps0e0e4722.jpg

WP_20140823_0101_zps53bfe37e.jpg

WP_20140823_0091_zpsac3ec319.jpg