ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New guy who needs advice

Saab 9-3 Aero
Hi all,

My name's Ian and I'm from Gloucestershire way. I'm in my 30's now so I have a lot of experience in cars of all types and I've always been a lover of French cars. My favourite that I have owned was a 306gti-6 which was a really good car and fun to drive.

My current steed is a Saab 9-3 Aero which although is a very powerful beast (240bhp turbo) I am trying to sell it as my new job requires a little bit better fuel consumption.

Saab004.gif

I apologise for the large photo, I will figure out resizing at some point.

Some of my other cars have included:

205 gti 1.9
Rover 220 gti
Rover Coupe turbo
Alfa 156
Citroen Saxo VTS
306 gti-6
BMW 323ci

Now it's time to return to the French hot hatch. As I want a car that is fun to drive and gives me a fair return on mpg I thought the Clio Sport would be ideal. As soon as the Saab is gone I will have £2500 to spend and although I ideally want a 182, a late 172 will be fine.

Before I start looking I want to get as much info as I can on these models and then I can hopefully source a good car so all help and advice on what to look for would be very much appreciated.

Ideally I'm hoping to get one in blue to match the Megane that we also have but that's not too important, just my love of uniformity (ex soldier thing ;) )

Thanks for reading all.

Saab 9-3 Aero
Welcome to the club. I wouldn't say the clio is great on mpg.... but its not bad either.

Thanks Scott. The Saab is averaging 27mpg with a mixture of motorway and town. It's just too much for me especially as it needs super unleaded. Anything in the mid 30's is a big bonus.

Fiesta ST-3
Thanks Scott. The Saab is averaging 27mpg with a mixture of motorway and town. It's just too much for me especially as it needs super unleaded. Anything in the mid 30's is a big bonus.

In that case the clio will be just fine lol. Although there are alot of members that on feed their clios super/v power.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Hi Ian-
welcome-

Looking at the budget there 2.5k isnt sufficient to bring home a 'great' 172 ( other than a mint phase 1)-

If your looking for a late 172 PH2 03 or 53 especially in black or blue sub say 60k miles you will need the thick end of 3k, possibly up to 3.4k-

at 3.5k you can crossover to an early 182- but it will be silver-
Again 4250 feels like the base price for a 50k black 182 with cups packs in good nick-

Decide what you want & budget accordingly- if that were me I wouldnt go for an early 182 with igh miles- I would get to 3k & buy a monaco blue 172-
make sure the cambelt & aux belt service has been done as it is due at 5 years- if the steering wheel is knackered budget £150 for a wheel refurb to tidy it up-

Also I would say pay your £10 membership & then you have access to the classifieds- lots of cherished 172's generally packing out that area-

regards
Steve

Saab 9-3 Aero
Thanks Steve, that gives me some pointers. Looks like I will have to add some money then. Hopefully my car will sell soon enough and I can get looking properly.

I think it will be a Monaco blue 172 that I will be looking for.