ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New knocking noise

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I know the usual problems with clios about the suspention knocking on low speed when you turn a corner or parking but now mine has started making a new knocking after 3 years of having the car.

It only seems to happen when i pull away fast, as soon as i get to 5k revs you can hear the suspention making a knock knock knock as you go between 5k revs upwards and change gear. The best way to discribe it is as if you were pulling away over a load of pot holes and its kind of a uncomfortable knocking noise.

The other time it will do it is if you try and pull away really fast from a stand still, i build the revs up, release the clutch and again as you fly off the line you get the knock knock knock from the suspention.

Never has this before, it started a week or two ago. If i drive at a normal granny speed i will never hear it, its just when you drive it a bit harder. Help!

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
it is probably the engine mounts that are knackered, it probs won't be the suspension knocking it will be the engine or gearbox knocking on the bulkhead or thereabouts.

Peddled device
Had this once on my 172 Cup..l think its the front wheels spinning up and then gripping again when accelerating hard causing the engine mounts or the front shockers to hit the bump stops..only did it in 1st gear.

Does it sound/feel like someone hitting the front underside of the car hard with a large hammer?

http://www.jmstuning.co.uk/

This is what i need then? Anyone used this company? they look quite good.

Im sure its not the wheels just spinning and then gripping again, ive had it for over 3 years and only just started doing it recently.

Should this be fixed asap, is it dangourous or have a got a few months to get some spare cash together?

SQ5
I've just got this, is it on the drivers side? Thinking top engine mount as can move the engine A LOT!

Peddled device
in the dry. Not sure about wet, give me a few days and i should be able 2 find out.

I'm sure its due to the lack of slip from the tyres when accelerating hard which causes an engine mount or the suspension to hit the bump stop.Thats why you only get it in low gears ,when its dry and when gunning the throttle.

This is progressing a bit now as its getting worse so its going into the garage next week. Dont think its the engine mounts.

Its clear now that is is coming from the passengers side front suspention, probally sometime like what mark123 said.

If i am just sitting at lights and turn the wheels back and forth the suspension on that sites just grinds and sounds awful. You can also feel the knocking/pinging sensation coming through the steering wheel. Drive half an hour yesturday and did not feel too good, dont really want to leave it anylonger.

Oh well lets see what it is next week, hopefully its cheap!

rps13
dont take it to any old garage mate, i'd advise popping into the JMS guys if you can dont think they'l charge you just to give an assesment.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Does sound like the engine mounts, if your near staines you can drop into our workshop and will have a quick look, either drop me a Pm or drop us an email, contact info can be found on the webiste www.jmstuning.co.uk :)

Thanks,
James