ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New laptop and SSD

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im looking at buying a dell insprion, rough spec -

- intel core 2 duo T9600 2.80ghz 1066mhz 6mb
- vista 64bit
- 8gb 800mhz ddr2 ram
- 512mb ATI mobility radeon HD4330

the question is, with the above spec would it be worth getting an SSD hard drive?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I just got a new Dell E6500 with all the options including SSD Drive..

It's totally worth it.. boots Ubuntu in 7 seconds with a standard install (no tweaking)

Absolutely, but as I have now learnt from the other thread, worth gettig windows 7

nice spec lappie btw!

I just got a new Dell E6500 with all the options including SSD Drive..

It's totally worth it.. boots Ubuntu in 7 seconds with a standard install (no tweaking)

Nice Spec

I have the E6500 at work as well and it's a good laptop with great battery life.
I highly recommend getting an SSD. Massive speed difference and it feels odd when you don't have to wait for the drive to spin up for something to launch.

Windows 7 FTW!!

SLK250 CDI
Definitely worth it! I have an XPS M1330 with the T9300 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista x64 and the Samsung 120GB SSD - things load pretty much instantly.

Once I've got properly backed up then I'm going to install 7 on it.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
excellent, the dell web site says free upgrades to 7.

are there any different spec SSD's or are they all pretty much the same.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
ssd's vary GREATLY, read and write speeds change the price of for exmaple a 64g drive from £100 to £300.

i have the offical dell 64 ssd for sale on here actually, it's pretty medium range, but is good value for what it is, priced around the £100 mark. I have in my gaming pc a higher spec one for £200 and yes, the difference is quite noticeable. You hsould do more research i would say.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
thanks for that info, could you give me some clues as to what spec i should be looking for, for a fast one?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
ssd's vary GREATLY, read and write speeds change the price of for exmaple a 64g drive from £100 to £300.

i have the offical dell 64 ssd for sale on here actually, it's pretty medium range, but is good value for what it is, priced around the £100 mark. I have in my gaming pc a higher spec one for £200 and yes, the difference is quite noticeable. You hsould do more research i would say.

I would agree with that. Dell SSD's are mid range speed wise.

Definitely faster out there if you have the cash.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
well as my plan is to buy a basic model to start with and upgrade as i go along, i will be aiming for a fast SSD