ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gaming laptop?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi am looking to get a laptop to run a game requiring the fallowing spec. Anyone got any ideas.
System Requirements Windows Version (*)
  • Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • 2.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor
  • Nvidia Geforce 7600 Series, ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card or better (min 256 MB VRAM)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 1 GB free hard drive space
  • Soundcard
  • DVD-ROM Drive

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Personally, I wouldn't go there. Gaming and laptops are two words that should never really be mixed. Their very nature (lack of upgrade paths, limited space, small screen, few USB ports, etc) means they are a bit poo for running most games. Universally it's the onboard graphics that let them down, unless you're willing to spend a few pennies?

What game is it you're trying to run, btw?

D.

Octy VRS
Hi am looking to get a laptop to run a game requiring the fallowing spec. Anyone got any ideas.
System Requirements Windows Version (*)
  • Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7
  • 2.0 GHz Intel or equivalent AMD processor
  • Nvidia Geforce 7600 Series, ATI Radeon X1600 graphics card or better (min 256 MB VRAM)
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 1 GB free hard drive space
  • Soundcard
  • DVD-ROM Drive
That's pretty low requirements for a game to be honest, what is it Pac Man? My shonky work laptop could run it.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Can't go wrong with Alien Ware or whatever they're called. My mates got one it's the t*ts!

Nissan 350z
Forgive me for pointing out the obvious but isnt buying a laptop for the purpose of playing 1 game only a little short sighted?

Evo 5 RS
As Darren said, Gaming laptop is an oxymoron. It'll be useless as such before you've even got any use out of it

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Desktop for gaming and everything else. Laptop for surfing and office stuff on the move. Ease of access. IMO.

1eight2
I have a laptop and a desktop similar spec. I use the desktop every time for games, even use my iPhone for stuff I used to do on the laptop. Spend money on a desktop!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Can't go wrong with Alien Ware or whatever they're called. My mates got one it's the t*ts!

You are so wrong, they are absolute shite. But so are gaming laptops.

If it has to be a laptop buy a top spec macbook pro then at least you have a nice usable pc whilst not gaming.

Nissan 350z
But so are gaming laptops.

If it has to be a laptop buy a top spec macbook pro then at least you have a nice usable pc whilst not gaming.

LOL!
Are you seriously implying spending £2000'ish on a "top spec macbook pro" is the only way to achieve a useable laptop?

HP Envy
Samsung Chronos 7
Dell XPS

Are all aluminium finished, equally spec'd laptops and all cost around the £1000 mark!

work for BMW
dont get a gaming laptop, you may think it can kill 2 birds with one stone but its not going to be as good as think and it wont play games half as well as a desktop

Nissan 350z
Anyway there seems to be alot of "gaming laptop" bashing on here by people that have probably never used them so let me add my opinion.

Ive used "gaming laptops" for the past 6yrs now and im currently on my 3rd. It goes something like this: Buy best spec laptop i can afford, use it for 2yrs of warranty, sell it on Ebay, use sale money to fund next purchase. Im not claiming its cheap, and im not claiming they will run all games on max settings but if you use common sense and turn off 8x AA (which isnt needed in 1600x900 anyway) and tweak things like shadows you can play pretty much every game without hassle.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M-SLI.76545.0.html
That website is your best friend. So long as your smart and you spec for the highest class GPU that will allow you maximum life for your purchase.

If you want the maximum hardware for money go for a Clevo reseller:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html#uk

I used to do this to begin with but more recently ive been focusing on Ultrabooks as i was tired of the plastic build quality.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Nothing wrong with gaming laptops if you can afford a top spec one. Best bet for gaming laptops in my opinion is buy 2nd hand off ebay, you can find some right bargains.

My boss got a Alienware i7 spec for £600 because the lights around the case had died.

As already said gaming and laptops do not go together too well, and you'll be left pissed off when its outdated in a year and you're stuck with a crap spec.

Heat is usually an issue with a lot of them after prolonged periods of time.

Just get a desktop, you won't regret it. And sbridgey, you Apple fanboy ;)

Evo 5 RS
Anyway there seems to be alot of "gaming laptop" bashing on here by people that have probably never used them so let me add my opinion.

Ive used "gaming laptops" for the past 6yrs now and im currently on my 3rd. It goes something like this: Buy best spec laptop i can afford, use it for 2yrs of warranty, sell it on Ebay, use sale money to fund next purchase. Im not claiming its cheap, and im not claiming they will run all games on max settings but if you use common sense and turn off 8x AA (which isnt needed in 1600x900 anyway) and tweak things like shadows you can play pretty much every game without hassle.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680M-SLI.76545.0.html
That website is your best friend. So long as your smart and you spec for the highest class GPU that will allow you maximum life for your purchase.

If you want the maximum hardware for money go for a Clevo reseller:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html#uk

I used to do this to begin with but more recently ive been focusing on Ultrabooks as i was tired of the plastic build quality.

I worked with them day in day out, for the money they're awful. Unless being mobile is totally essential for you they are POINTLESS. A top spec one will be capable but it's just a complete waste of money. £650 will get you almost identical performance to 1,600. Where is the logic.

You are so wrong, they are absolute s**te. But so are gaming laptops.

Why are Alienware s**te exactly?

Last edited:
  Nissan 350z
I worked with them day in day out, for the money they're awful. Unless being mobile is totally essential for you they are POINTLESS. A top spec one will be capable but it's just a complete waste of money. £650 will get you almost identical performance to 1,600. Where is the logic.

Work with what mate, Clevo laptops? I need the mobility while im sent away with work.

Evo 5 RS
In all honesty no, mainly Alienware / XPS. But I've worked on a few Clevos. It makes no difference though, it's always a compromise. As I say, being mobile is different - it's ideal.

If you want one just to sit in your armchair you're throwing money away.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
In all honesty no, mainly Alienware / XPS. But I've worked on a few Clevos. It makes no difference though, it's always a compromise. As I say, being mobile is different - it's ideal.

If you want one just to sit in your armchair you're throwing money away.

Spot on. For such a small 'benefit' - they really aren't worth it. And for the weight of a (hot) medium family dog to be sat on your lap all that time too? I'd buy one for a gimmick - say a decent i5/i7 for something daft like £120. But other than that - not a chance.

D.

Evo 5 RS
One of the i7 XPS models I was tampering with a few months back before I sold it on, I couldn't actually keep it on my lap, had to use the cushion table. Got so warm

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
LOL!
Are you seriously implying spending £2000'ish on a "top spec macbook pro" is the only way to achieve a useable laptop?

HP Envy
Samsung Chronos 7
Dell XPS

Are all aluminium finished, equally spec'd laptops and all cost around the £1000 mark!

Of course not, but majority of "gaming" laptops are awful, they are bulky and cumbersome, a macbook pro is a well sized laptop with very good performance that you can use all day and not worry about it running out of charge. Why have a laptop when you have to have it plugged in constantly?

Why are Alienware s**te exactly?

At uni many people buy Alienware gaming laptops, everyone I see is HUGE, they always look really awful and when people try to play modern games in lectures on battery power they just fail and become incredibly laggy.

Evo 5 RS
That's just high powered lappys in general. Alienware/DELL have made some decent kit tbh. Their desktops are tasty, just overpriced.

Macbooks are just turning into their own complete formfactor now. It's b****cks, I don't understand why they can't just follow the industry standards like everyone else. They're there for a reason. You can't even upgrade the RAM on the new ones, it's on the PCB. Total arse ache, and for what benefit? urgh.

Last edited:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Macbook Pro specs aren't even that high tbh, you're paying for the name, you can get a similarly specced laptop for at least 1/4-1/2 less.

With a stupidly high res screen and 7 hour battery?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That's just high powered lappys in general. Alienware/DELL have made some decent kit tbh. Their desktops are tasty, just overpriced

Dell's XPS range are better than their alienware range IMO, much more subtle and just a nicer product. But I dislike Dell so would never buy one of their laptops.

Nissan 350z
With a stupidly high res screen and 7 hour battery?

Whats the point in a stupidly high res screen with such an underwhelming GPU that cant run modern games at its native resolution though? This is a topic about gaming afterall, not just general laptops. I doubt anyone would be gaming disconnected from the mains for the battery life to be a deciding factor.

Evo 5 RS
flol, that's a good point really. Most modern PC's struggle with 2560x with games. Wouldn't fancy trying to run them on a lappy. Of course Apple don't really think about these things and just think that if you can condense the size more with retina you simply must have it. Yeah, no. Even with editing it's batty. You just don't need it at all

172 Cup
The XPS15 & XPS17 on Dell outlet are fantastic value IMO.

£700 for an i7 with blueray, seperate gfx card, 8gb ram.

Cant go wrong for 700notes.

172 Cup
^ yep

Had my XPS 15" for 4 years now, still flawless. I for one think they do decent laptops, and common sense dictates I'd never buy a prebuilt desktop anyway!

My little brother bought an XPS15 l502x or whatever its called. They are impressive for the cash. So much so I bought my mum one. She reckons its brilliant too. The mothers was about £400inc vat and delivery when they had a refurb offer on.

This Is the settings I run gta4.
No lag at all, even in 3d

naryna7y.jpg