ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member’s 182 engine seized

Clio 182
Hi all, I joined the Clio sport family yesterday buying a one owner 182 from the private seller. Drove it home after checking oil etc and it was fine. Took it out in the evening and it broke down. I was unable to start it, it was making a clicking noise when turning the key like the starter motor or battery had gone. Garage picked it up today and said that they took the starter off but the engine won’t move manually. Seller understandably doesn’t want to know. Anyone have any idea since as to what to do now?? I’m tempted to sell it as spares repairs and recoup some cash or is it worth getting the engine rebuilt.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 77336279-D03A-40AC-9317-D7CC30189F39.jpeg
    77336279-D03A-40AC-9317-D7CC30189F39.jpeg
    902.4 KB · Views: 154

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
Replacement engine would be the cheapest solution i wouldnt entertain the thought of getting the current one rebuilt.

Im not a mechanic but im not sure i understand why a garage would take the starter motor off the car? having said that i guess you have to start to diagnose a problem from somewhere maybe the starter made sense.

Where are you based?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hi all, I joined the Clio sport family yesterday buying a one owner 182 from the private seller. Drove it home after checking oil etc and it was fine. Took it out in the evening and it broke down. I was unable to start it, it was making a clicking noise when turning the key like the starter motor or battery had gone. Garage picked it up today and said that they took the starter off but the engine won’t move manually. Seller understandably doesn’t want to know. Anyone have any idea since as to what to do now?? I’m tempted to sell it as spares repairs and recoup some cash or is it worth getting the engine rebuilt.
Thanks in advance.
That's unlucky. I'd also take whatever the garage have said at face value, no doubt theyd offer to buy it off you...

clio 182 2005
Starter removed to try and turn the flywheel. If you try with the crank bolt you can break it . Common practice to see if it engine is sized or the starter stuck .
Fit another engine with new belts etc ,strip the old one and find out what happened.
Sell any parts that are usable to recoup some money would be my suggestion.

I’d try and bump it first to see if you can turn the engine over for yourself if it’s already seized you won’t be hurting anything

Then just chuck a second hand block in

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
How much did you pay for it?

If it was cheap I’d sell it for parts and just buy another would probably work out cheaper than paying for an engine swap.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Has the cambelt gone?

That would be the first thing to check.

Not sure why they didn't try and turn it over by hand via the crank pulley bolt, it's easy enough with the spark plugs out.

When you say it broke down, how do you mean? Just cut out or went with a bit of a noise?

Clio 182
Hi all. Just a quick update, and thanks for taking the time to read and reply. Took the spark plugs out to see if there were any clues and it seems that one has broken whilst in situ, so I guess there’s major damage to the piston etc.
With this in mind is it worth getting the engine repaired??

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Hi all. Just a quick update, and thanks for taking the time to read and reply. Took the spark plugs out to see if there were any clues and it seems that one has broken whilst in situ, so I guess there’s major damage to the piston etc.
With this in mind is it worth getting the engine repaired??

If everything about the car was mint, bodywork and mechanical, i would probably get it repaired.

But if it's just average then you may as well just buy another car.

Clio 182
It isn’t mint bodywork wise but it’s a one owner from new car with good interior and Renault history so I was planning to keep it!! Engine damage has ruined my plans though! 😫

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
It isn’t mint bodywork wise but it’s a one owner from new car with good interior and Renault history so I was planning to keep it!! Engine damage has ruined my plans though! 😫

If you can find an engine that's had belts done recently, it shouldn't be too costly to swap over.

Even i can get an engine out of these in half a day.

Clio 182
ok so I’m on the look out for a new engine but my inlet manifold is the gappy one rather than the solid type. Some 182 engines appear to have the solid type manifold, would anyone know if this type would go straight in to my 182 with no fettling?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
ok so I’m on the look out for a new engine but my inlet manifold is the gappy one rather than the solid type. Some 182 engines appear to have the solid type manifold, would anyone know if this type would go straight in to my 182 with no fettling?

Not too sure what you mean? Have you got a picture? A 172 or 182 engine will fit. The top inlet manifold is slightly different between the two due to breather system, but easy enough to get the right inlet manifold.