ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Member Looking to buy Clio RS 172/182.

N/A
Hello Fellows,

I thought I would introduce myself as a new member. I am currently looking for a retirement toy and keeper, an immaculate Clio RS 172/182 with low miles and low owners. I don't mind paying top price for it and I hope I will be guided, advised and informed by other members as I am new to Clio's. I have already had valuable info from Mark (Mbeau) and have been following his posts. Thank you again Mark. Currently, I live in Spain but will be moving back to UK in the near future, back to Sunny Scotland. I look forward to being involved with the forum and would certainly appreciate any leads in tracking down a suitable car. This will be my retirement toy. Mark has already given me invaluable info on his RB Clio 182 Cup that he recently sold and I have requested further info from the seller. I would also appreciate any info on the following 2004 Mondial Blue Clio 172 Cup with 26k and one previous owner also advertised on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224482932356?hash=item344439b684:g:tqMAAOSwW0Bf6hIJ

Thanks in anticipation, Joe.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome! Obviously it's all down to preference, but I'd be wanting a higher mileage trophy (circa. 100k) for the money that 172 Cup you've linked will probably go for. I'd say as long as it's been well maintained, 100k on one of these cars would scare me a lot less then a car that's been off the road for the best part of 10 years.

Stuflac

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
This one isn't it?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Welcome, and as above really, car that's been off the road nearly a decade would scare the hell out of me. Much better off with a well maintained used car

N/A
hopgop1, Luke_Exc,Stuflac & Coops Mk1,

Many thanks for your welcome and replies.
It is the two cars currently advertised on ebay, one is Mark's (Mkbeau) lovely 182 Cup in RB colour which I have made enquiries with the recent owner who lives in Shrewsbury and is now re-selling as he does not want to rack up the miles. It is currently at Birchdown Auto Services in Malpas.
The other is a 172 Cup in Mondial Blue with A/C.

I am favouring a 182 as I think I would prefer ABS and A/C plus I love the RB colour though would also consider others.

Joe

Clio 182
Let us know how you get on finding the new toy. Where in Scotland you moving? See a few newer Clios and Meganes down here but not seen any other 172/182s since I got mine. I know someone has a V6 in Dumfries but don’t think it gets out much.

N/A
Cub, thank you. Hello MalcomScotland. Will be moving back to Levenmouth, Fife where I was brought up. Would like to know more about your search and what you bought. I am currently looking for a storage facility if you know of any.

Regards, Joe

Clio 182
I got a silver 182. Pictures are on the new owners thread below this. Not an expert on cars so probably paid over the odds because I wanted 1 and wasn’t in the mood for waiting. Thought I was going to keep it garaged and covered but can’t stop driving it.

N/A
Hello Fellows,

I am still actively looking for a Clio RS 172/182. I have seen these cars advertised so I thought I would post them for you to look at and would appreciate your comments.

First up is a very clean 2004 Clio RS 182 with the cup spoiler pack (not suspension) with only 32,000 miles up at £9995. This is advertised by KGF Classic Cars at Peterborough. https://www.kgfclassiccars.co.uk/vehicles/24651/

Second up is this clean and tidy looking 2003 Clio RS 172 with 31,750 miles father and son owned from new at £6795 ono. https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1374786

Attachments

• 2004 Clio RS 182 KGF Classic Cars Peterborough 9995.jpg
    2004 Clio RS 182 KGF Classic Cars Peterborough 9995.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 2003 Clio RS 172 Epsom Surrey 6795.jpg
    2003 Clio RS 172 Epsom Surrey 6795.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn’t be interested in the 182 at that price as it doesn’t have both cup packs, not hard to retrofit and you’d never tell, but it sounds like you’re going for originality.
The 172 looks like a better buy and the price seems reasonable, I’d certainly be wary though as it’s flagged as stolen, at least on my car check app.
Bear in mind 182s seem to be a lot more desirable than 172s, the drive is very similar from what I’ve heard, but may impact resale.
8F65493E-2DC8-411D-AB4D-DBC609A5A76F.jpeg

N/A
Hello hopgop1,

Thanks for your early reply and for the heads up on the stolen 172. The 182 advertised with KGF Classic Cars is reserved so waiting to see if the sale goes through. Again, thanks Joe. I have also put this in the cars for sale section.

I think a 182 at 10 grand would have to be as near as dammit to a brand new car for me to consider. The 172 "sounds" good but is extremely pricey also. Id definitely be interested to hear what the current owners say about what hopgop has dug up on the car. Of course you should be HPI'ing any potential purchase yourself, especially when looking to spend the amount of cash you are.

Personally, with your budget, I'd be going for a 182 Trophy or probably a newer 200.

Good luck, keep us up to date with what you find.

PS posting in the cars for sale section wont get you many comments.

Possibly a cheeky suggestion but if you are looking to spend 10k why not make @Mbeau an very healthy offer for his Cup? Or have you seen the Cup AM Performance are selling? It looks worth a second look.

N/A
Hello dave120, Thanks for the early reply and input. I will be having the HPI done as a matter of due process on any potential cars and will be looking for someone to inspect it for me so if there is anyone on the forum that can offer this service that would be ideal. Again, thanks for the input. Joe.
Possibly a cheeky suggestion but if you are looking to spend 10k why not make @Mbeau an very healthy offer for his Cup? Or have you seen the Cup AM Performance are selling? It looks worth a second look.
Hello dave120,

N/A
Hello Fellows,

Is there anyone in the club that would conduct a paid vehicle inspection for me that lives near Epsom, Surrey?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
What are your plans for the car? Just keep standard and enjoy? Modify lightly or modify significantly for track?

If one of the first two, as others have said, for that budget I’d be hunting a higher mile, good condition Trophy.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Hello Fellows,

Is there anyone in the club that would conduct a paid vehicle inspection for me that lives near Epsom, Surrey?

It’s not too far from me when I’m at work in Guildford. I can have a look, but don’t want paying for it and also I’m not a mechanic so other than the knowledge I have, I can’t guarantee anything, so to speak.

N/A
Hello Cub, The plan is to lightly modify and perhaps take it to a Clubsport spec later. But in general, buy it, fix it, drive it. I really admire what iyrix built with his 172 Clubsport https://cliosport.net/threads/clio-172-clubsport.807132/ and the other threads the chaps have done.

As some have suggested I could buy a Trophy, however, I don't like red and would be always looking out for it getting a stone chip, scratched, stolen etc etc. Years back I owned a 2006 Mini Cooper Works GP and though the car was great, however, the ownership experience was spoiled by constantly worrying about, where to park it, stone chips, damaged, nicked etc, Never again. Having a Clio RS 1*2 as a nice tidy sleeper sounds good to me.

Last edited:
I think that if something is your pride and joy, you will always worry about it getting damaged, regardless of how much it cost or how it looks.

I bought my 172 Cup as a daily run about, something that I could park anywhere and not care about. Unfortunately, as soon as you start tidying the car up and inevitably spending way more on the car than you planned, all of that goes out the window!

I'm genuinely interested to see what you end up with. Regardless of what car you buy, having relationships with good garages like SWR are key for me. They basically know Clios inside out and all of the silly issues you see people asking about on Facebook etc, SWR can fix them in fairly short order.

PS if Jon Wright's BG Clio is still for sale, that is another car I'd be paying top dollar for.

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
PS if Jon Wright's BG Clio is still for sale, that is another car I'd be paying top dollar for.
Thanks Dave. As you know, b***s deep into engine now.

It's funny how i see my own car in terms of its value and yet other people, who know the car and follow it's progress, see something entirely different.

I value it based on the things i know it needs, to be near perfect that is, and yet everybody else seems to value it much higher than me. I had that car sold 4 times and yet i took it off sale as i know the small oil leak needs sorting. I'm a strange one 😂