ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Hi All,
I brought a Black Clio 172 a week ago, Been lurking on these forums ever since, so finely decided to say HI!. The car seems in really good condition, Part Service History but Lots of receipts and full MOT history to show lots of work done, £2000 spent in the last 12 months. Only 57k on the clock too. So looks well looked after.

I had a few niggles to sort out initially, however £80 lighter to adjust the engine mounts and replace an exhaust mount. The 172 is running a lot smoother and a lot more solid under hard acceleration (was getting a rattling noise where the exhaust was hitting the subframe).

Still some bits to sort but nothing that affects performance. Really hoping to keep the car as standard as possible. There are no modifications on the car. All I would like to do is sort the sound system out, get Bluetooth fitted and replace the standard speakers.

I live in the small town of Horsham so if you see a black 172 around that's probably me! Will provide some photos soon as the weather clears up!

Cheers

Chris

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Welcome to ClioSport Chris!

Any idea of the sound system you're going to use?

Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Welcome to ClioSport Chris!

Any idea of the sound system you're going to use?

Looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Thanks! Will try and get some Pics up this weekend (hoping for some nicer weather after a good clean).

I still need to do some research as I've never upgraded a sound system before. My main goal however is to either change the head unit for a Bluetooth one with hands free calling and wire a mic in, or I will buy a Bluetooth module which connects on to the standard head unit cd changer port. I will then CD slot mount my phone for Sat Nav, MP3/spotify streaming etc. There's a nice app called "Car Dashdroid" (on an android phone) which is nice interface for easily launching apps while driving a car!
After that I will then replace the standard speakers, this is where I will need research as I haven't a clue :smile:.
I think it's best if I find my budget then shop around and read reviews.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Thanks! Will try and get some Pics up this weekend (hoping for some nicer weather after a good clean).

I still need to do some research as I've never upgraded a sound system before. My main goal however is to either change the head unit for a Bluetooth one with hands free calling and wire a mic in, or I will buy a Bluetooth module which connects on to the standard head unit cd changer port. I will then CD slot mount my phone for Sat Nav, MP3/spotify streaming etc. There's a nice app called "Car Dashdroid" (on an android phone) which is nice interface for easily launching apps while driving a car!
After that I will then replace the standard speakers, this is where I will need research as I haven't a clue :smile:.
I think it's best if I find my budget then shop around and read reviews.
One thing to bear in mind is getting a standalone microphone. The ones built in to the unit aren't that clear and the noise cancellation is awful.
This is my one;
http://www.handtec.co.uk/pioneer-de...eceiver.html?gclid=CLO_yoSzsMgCFeVz2wodIm8PXQ
Can't fault it tbh!

Listerine & Poledo
Welcome aboard Chris.

RE: your stereo plans.
A decent headunit and a subwoofer is all you need. Changing the speakers on a 172 will be a whole world of bugger-about which, unless you're going to give those speakers a 'proper' amplifier to run off, will yield very little improvement.
CD-Slot mounting is the single quickest way to ruin the mechanism though, so look into dash-mount brackets instead.

I wouldn't get too concerned about launching Apps on the move either, given how so much as looking at a phone is instant jail-rape (ok, a fine). Most Bluetooth streaming headunits will support media commands from the headunit (and, in turn, your steering wheel controls).

If I may, here's some ideas.

CHEAP
Head Unit (NO CD)
Sub woofer
LESS CHEAP
Head Unit
Sub woofer (for the boot)

Also, either solution would do well to include
THIS LEAD
and
THIS LEAD

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Thanks both, really good replies, will bear in mind the microphone @Typhoon!
@Goodj Thanks for the recommendations, looks really good. Love the idea of an under seat sub-woofer. I won't need crazy loud so your recommendation of not changing the speakers is noted.

Listerine & Poledo
If the phone is in a fixed holder it's not a traffic offence afaik.
It's contentious, but you dont need to give police any more reasons than possible to haul over a 172 clio with a young lad behind the wheel.

Ultimately, OP wont need to be anywhere near the phone anyway, all the audio can be controlled from the head unit and stalks.

OK, they may need to do NAV stuff..... soooo.......

GET ONE OF THESE
And attach a phone holder to it.

I had a TOMTOM hanging off of one for years, worked a treat

Clio 172, Abarth 500
It's contentious, but you dont need to give police any more reasons than possible to haul over a 172 clio with a young lad behind the wheel.

Thanks, you just made my day calling me a young lad! (Turned 30 10 months ago lol)
Again cheers for the mount idea. I hate dash mounts so this looks like the next best thing.

Listerine & Poledo
I got pulled over in my Clio when I was 30.
Changed my driving habits immediately

Last edited:
  Clio 172, Abarth 500
I'm generally pretty good. Due to having a small boy, I won't and will not tolerate speeding in residential areas and will stick to 30. Kids have no idea about roads, you can tell them 100 times not to run near a road but they will because there kids!

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Yea been meaning to post these! Still havnt had chance to wash it properly. I need to detail it, but needs to not be p1ssing it down :smile:.
172 Back.jpg
172 ClioSport.jpg
172 Front.jpg

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Welcome to ClioSport Chris. Looks like you've picked up a well looked after 172 there :)

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Love that 172, cant believe how low the mileage is! would also recommend getting a stalk adapter if you do change your headunit to retain the volume controls etc on the stalk.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
gotta love your profile pic :smile:
Love that 172, cant believe how low the mileage is! would also recommend getting a stalk adapter if you do change your headunit to retain the volume controls etc on the stalk.
Thanks - I think it's more shocking is that it's got low miles and is completely standard, no mods. Just needs some tlc on the body work, headlights and dashboard.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

Ultimately, OP wont need to be anywhere near the phone anyway, all the audio can be controlled from the head unit and stalks.

OK, they may need to do NAV stuff..... soooo.......

GET ONE OF THESE
And attach a phone holder to it.

I had a TOMTOM hanging off of one for years, worked a treat
@Goodj - Really good tip on the phone holder. I want to get one of those but have just about given up on trying to find a phone holder to stick to it, have you got any ideas - I have a sony Z4 compact which is the same size as most phones ie Iphone 5s etc. Just needs to hold the phone really, dont need it to charge. Really appreciate any help

Listerine & Poledo
@optical
Tough to say. If it were an iPhone I'd say look at brodit active holders, but I don't recall ever seeing holders specific for Sonys. Could be wrong though.

Your first port of call will be to get a dash-mount bracket like those found HERE
Then, screw some kind of universal-bracket to that
Ideally, you then want to find a way to trail a charge-lead into it, without looking really pikey. Maybe run a micro-USB through the air vents and down into the loom for the 12v.

but now we're talking eletrics, and I get scared, so you want someone else with ideas for that

EDIT: SONY Z Active cradle?

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Thats perfect,

Im going to get the active cradle and screw it to that mount. I will use the usb that comes out from my pioneer headunit to power the phone, will be nice to be able to stream music from the phone via usb rather than bluetooth too. I find bluetooth is aweosme but you lose quite a bit of quality.

Thanks again !!

@optical
Tough to say. If it were an iPhone I'd say look at brodit active holders, but I don't recall ever seeing holders specific for Sonys. Could be wrong though.

Your first port of call will be to get a dash-mount bracket like those found HERE
Then, screw some kind of universal-bracket to that
Ideally, you then want to find a way to trail a charge-lead into it, without looking really pikey. Maybe run a micro-USB through the air vents and down into the loom for the 12v.

but now we're talking eletrics, and I get scared, so you want someone else with ideas for that

EDIT: SONY Z Active cradle?