ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Microsoft Tablet

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Looks interesting but they're giving nothing away with the spec, suggesting it's nothing to shout about. I could probably find a use for a high quality windows tablet next time I need to replace a laptop, but i'm not convinced by this yet

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No spec, no price, no launch date.

Other than that, it looks good. Love the keyboard cover.
Doesn't interest me yet as im firmly iPad/OS X'd up.

But it cant be ruled out, what if everyone that had a windows PC bought one of these next?

Microsoft would be bigger than big.

I quite like that.

They keyboard thing is clever. A lot of people still have the perception that they need a laptop and a tablet won't do what they want, when it will do more than they need. That cover will convert those types of people and then when they've bought it, they can realise they don't need that keyboard anymore.

But it's not really adding any bulk to it and it protects it when not in use. Perfect solution TBH.

Interesting that no one seemed to be able to actually use one properly at yesterdays unveiling.

I can see the lower end one eating up Androids tablet market (dependant on price) fairly quickly unless Google do something to seriously fix the issues Android has around its tablets. Windows 8 really does look like a great OS for a tablet (up there with iOS) but for a desktop it simply doesn't work. The keyboard although a good idea could be bad in reality, take your iPad smart cover and start tapping away on that as if it's a keyboard and I can see it become quite a bad experience.

With the high end one it needs to be priced below things like the Asus Transformer to make it viable, especially at that screen size.

Interesting that no one seemed to be able to actually use one properly at yesterdays unveiling.

I can see the lower end one eating up Androids tablet market (dependant on price) fairly quickly unless Google do something to seriously fix the issues Android has around its tablets. Windows 8 really does look like a great OS for a tablet (up there with iOS) but for a desktop it simply doesn't work. The keyboard although a good idea could be bad in reality, take your iPad smart cover and start tapping away on that as if it's a keyboard and I can see it become quite a bad experience.

With the high end one it needs to be priced below things like the Asus Transformer to make it viable, especially at that screen size.

Microsoft demos are always a failure. It's just their 'thing'

How big is it then? I thought it looked like a 9/10" type size. Doesn't look small. Although there's nothing to really compare it to for size.

Content is what helps these things sell. If Windows can make a big thing of it playing Netflix/Lovefilm/iPlayer and get their own store to a decent standard then they'll do well. That's why the Fire is the only Android powered tablet that sells in decent numbers.

But I do find the lack of info baffling. It's in the news today all over the place. So this is prime marketing potential for people to know what it costs and when it's going to be out. Spec is the least important of those three. But nothing.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So it's £399 for a 32gb version.

Who's buying one?

(Keyboard is extra, os takes up 5gb+ of the 32gb, bit more than 12gb with office installed)

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Who's buying one?

(Keyboard is extra, os takes up 5gb+ of the 32gb, bit more than 12gb with office installed)

For me it depends on what it will run. I'm in the market for replacing one of my laptops pretty soon, but anything I get has to be able to run things like the remap software I use, which I'm unclear on. I came close to getting a Dell Duo earlier this year, but the windows 7 touch interface is shockingly bad

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The spec will be decent as its using ivy bridge chips iirc

Or not.[FONT=Segoe UI, Segoe, Arial, sans-serif].. [/FONT]

Citroen DS3 DSport
If you do not want your apps to be restricted to those available in the Windows Store then you need to await the Pro version. The Pro also uses the i5 processor.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
£399 for the 32GB version; a 32GB version bundled with a black Touch Cover will cost £479. There will also be a 64GB version bundled with a black Touch Cover priced at £559. Touch covers will be available separately for £99.99 each and will come in black, white, magenta, cyan, and red. A black Type cover, which is something more akin to a traditional keyboard, is £109.99.

pricey for the up spec versions, Think they might have this a bit wrong

Who's buying one?

You do have MicroSD and USB for extra storage, while these cannot be used for apps you can stick Music, Photos etc on there.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'm genuinely quite disappointed. Storage is no issue, everything should have microSD anyway. Just want to ditch this old Medion Piece of crap before the Turion64 processor decides running at red hot all day isn't a fun game anymore. Seems the Surface won't come close to requirements. Sad face.

Renault Clio MK3
Was really interested in getting one if these, saw the price, decided to get an iPad instead.

I really think Microsoft will struggle with this, matching the price of the iPad with no current share in the tablet market

I'm genuinely quite disappointed. Storage is no issue, everything should have microSD anyway. Just want to ditch this old Medion Piece of crap before the Turion64 processor decides running at red hot all day isn't a fun game anymore. Seems the Surface won't come close to requirements. Sad face.
Remember the Surface is just a Windows RT hardware offering from Microsoft. There are many other vendors releasing devices.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
yeah I'm aware, I was just hoping the pro version would be about the price they've brought the RT in at

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Definitely getting a Pro... but gutted it doesn't have 3G. Still I guess USB and expandable memory go some way to make up for this!

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
could someone shed some light on thsi for me?

i dont know why but i just dont get it, whats is the difference between the two -

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-GB/surface-with-windows-rt/help-me-choose

is windows RT still windows 8?

RT is the "lite" version of windows 8. Runs on ARM processors such as those used in most tablets. Can't run any software that isn't from their app store on it. Windows 8 Pro is the full version which you can run all normal software on, but this requires different hardware

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
RT is the "lite" version of windows 8. Runs on ARM processors such as those used in most tablets. Can't run any software that isn't from their app store on it. Windows 8 Pro is the full version which you can run all normal software on, but this requires different hardware

ah i see thanks, makes sense now.

sadly no 3g so will give them a miss

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
we are after something at work for work use.

we make lots of site visits so 3g is a must