ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New PC monitor 28" 4K Dell

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You'll end up wanting to use display scaling for 4K with 28". Most people use software on Windows that doesn't play nice with scaling.

Could always buy it and return it if you don't like it.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I'm not sure I'd be wanting to run a 4K monitor on a Mac Mini. They haven't been updated in over 2 years.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
As above really... have you got the grunt to drive a 4K resolution without compromising? It's a heck of a lot of pixels to push around if you're thinking of gaming at 4K (something that is still very much enthusiast / extreme PC level). I run a really beefy home PC but still use a combination of 1200p and 1080p monitors. My newest monitor arrives soon and is an ultrawide 1080p resolution.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If it's just for desktop work you don't need anything too spicy. It just makes Windows look nicer etc.

Gaming agreed, but it's probably not for gaming if it's on a Mac Mini :p

@SharkyUK surprised you're not even on QHD dude, it's not like a 1080 isn't more than adequate for getting 100fps at that resolution

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Thanks for the comments guys. Currently I've got a 8 year old pc but looking to get a custom build one on Chillblast website or looking at the Mac Mini. I've gone of the idea now for the Mac and just stick with windows. I'll be looking to spend around £700 - £800 . Not for gaming just for streaming and watching videos and films and general surfing the net.
I thought the idea of getting a 4K it will be for long term. My old 22'' 1920x1080i dell lasted me for around 7 or 8 years. And still going but would like a newer bigger screen. And keep up with the times so to speak.

What other really good brands out there for monitors? 27'' area 1080i ?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If it's not for gaming then get the 4K mate. It makes everything look stunning.

If it's just for general stuff I'd get nice accessories, wouldn't even bother with a graphics card either. Onboard Intel graphics will be more than enough for non-gaming duties at any resolution.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
surprised you're not even on QHD dude, it's not like a 1080 isn't more than adequate for getting 100fps at that resolution
It's tempting but I've still come across titles that can struggle at 1440p on high-end cards (when all the settings are turned up to 11). If I have the headroom then I tend to use DSR on some game titles (i.e. rendering at higher than screen resolution internally then scaling down to the resolution of the display monitor). The problem is I'm a graphics whore and, whilst I do love crisp, high-res visuals, I much prefer layers and layers of eye-candy! For serious design work and movies, etc. I'll hook up and watch through the Retina display on my Mac or use the 1200p Asus ProArt monitor. For gaming I'll be using the [hopefully soon to arrive!] Acer Z35 Predator. As recommended by @Silent_Scone :)

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dell-s2715h?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs
this one looks canny for the price ans spec
this is the spec on the pc i did yesterday
img_0039-png.png

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Not sure why there's a separate gpu in there, for what you want the intel graphics would be fine.

Also, do you need all of those extra USB ports?

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Not sure why there's a separate gpu in there, for what you want the intel graphics would be fine.

Also, do you need all of those extra USB ports?
Sorry what do you mean GPU? if it's the Procrssor, i'd thought and upgrade it so long term purposes and the same for GFX card.
For the USB ports, not really but it's mainly with it been 3.0 rather than the 2.0. The USB ports on the front will be i presume 2.0. Best having 3.0 for the future.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
The GPU is the GFX card.

I just wondered why you put one on the list when you won't be using it for gaming, the one chosen is actually worse than using intels built in graphics on the processor.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
The links not working properly with the options. Use these and see what you think.

IMG_0683.PNG
IMG_0684.PNG

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It can be done for about £100 cheaper if you look through some of the other deals they have. Have a look at the Primo Micro Desktop.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
The GPU is the GFX card.

I just wondered why you put one on the list when you won't be using it for gaming, the one chosen is actually worse than using intels built in graphics on the processor.
There was 2 options apart from the built in one. I presumed the higher the price the better gfx? I also presumed the gfx card will be better for like watching films and videos? If that gfx is worse then why is it giving me the option to upgrade?

thanks for the links and screen shots. I'm off today and tomorrow so i'll have another look at the websites. As i say i know nothing about pc's and specs and what the individual parts does

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
For just watching films and browsing the internet then you shouldn't need anything more than the built in graphics.

Of course if you was feeling brave you could always build your own, better spec for the same money.