ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New PC time

Right, PC is due for an upgrade, only buying components as I already have a case etc.

Initially I was looking at an i7, but due to the price/performance I think I'd be better off sticking with an AMD 965 or i5, unsure on which yet.

The PC is going to be used 90% for games as I have a laptop and computer at work for other shiz. Looking at some benchmarks the i7 seems to pull away more on encoding movies and memory benchmarks etc, which I don't care about tbh. Games wise there doesn't seem to be much difference from what I've seen.

Gfx card wise I'm swaying towards an ATI 5850 as it has DX11 support and seems a good performer for the price I'm willing to pay.

With regards to a HD, I only have a SATA1 HD, so this will be upgraded. Is it worth looking at a small SSD/raptor for the OS, and a standard larger drive for games, apps etc, or will a standard partitioned drive suffice? Can't be bothered with raid 0.

Final thing, my PSU is currently 550w, will this need upgrading also?

Any suggestions or comments appriciated, looking to spend around £700

Thanks