ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Photography Equipment!

Mental 172 Cup
Im looking at getting some new photography equipment in the near future just want some opinions on the stuff I have my eye on and also recommendations on what people have had before.

At the moment I have a Nikon D3000 with a kit lense 18-55mm VR and I purchased a 55-200mm VR lense. This at the moment is a good setup for me but I find it a hassle all the time to be changing lenses as the 55mm isnt good for wide angle and everyday use.

So my first lens choice I am looking at is the Nikon 18-200mm lens as an everyday lense so then I get the best of both worlds and will sort of combine 2 lenses into one.

I am also looking at the Sigma 70-300mm for trackdays and that extra bit of zoom at a good price. £160

I tryed and tested quite a few macro lenses when I was away on holiday and im most impressed with the Nikon 60mm AF-S Macro Lens as it gives you enough zoom to be able to get some good photos and the clarity of the photos is amazing.

Also the Sigma 105mm macro lens but I cant remember if it would auto-focus with the D3000

I am looking to purchase a decent external flash, I was looking at the Speedlight but will these work with my camera?? it has to be a swivel flash so I can position it where ever I need it and do the speedlights have the capability to be remotely triggered??

1.4x teleconvertor as I think this is the better option to go for to retain image clarity.

ND Filters, 4 & 8 any others?? Good makes and prices please :)

Also a 2nd camera body but a more professional one. Ive been looking at the D90 and also the D300, D700.

I really like the Nikon gear because its relatively easy to use and I just like it :)

Any recommendations on all of that stuff and can point me in the right direction to the best prices etc.

Sorry for the essay

Thanks

Luke

Firstly, stick with the lenses you have or change them, but don't combine them into one. 18-200mm isn't a great lens. It's a pain changing, but you're better with what you have.

70-300mm isn't the best lens in the world but it does for a big of zoom for a cheap price. But you won't be able to stick a converter on there I don't think, well you might be able to but it makes your max aperture awful. It will have nothing to do with image clarity, unless you're cropping massively.

SB600 is a good flash. You can get wireless triggers on eBay for less than £20.

Mental 172 Cup
will the SB600 work with the D3000?? I sometimes find it a pain to change from 18-55mm or if you leave 55-200mm on then its zoomed in to far at minimum zoom!

not sure if I would be bothered about teleconvertor on a 70-300mm because I could use it on the 55-200mm but 70-300mm will be good for shooting Macro at 200-300mm and for the extra zoom!

Also a 2nd camera body but a more professional one. Ive been looking at the D90 and also the D300, D700.

Quite a variation in those bodies! What would you want it for?

And for the filters...again....want would you want them for? We cant tell you to get a filter without knowing what you would do with it.

Mental 172 Cup
I feel the D3000 doesnt have all the 'toys' on it! being an entry level DSLR! I am really liking the D90 just to get better photos and have better options avaliable to me! BKT button etc! I dont have any of that on my D3000!

Shooting in the day! Waterfalls, Streams etc! Long exposure shots in the day! Basically :) I know your the man to talk to!

You won't get 'better' photos really with a D90. Obviously compared to some point and shoot you should, but there isn't going to be a noticeable improvement purely because you've got a different body.

Concentrate on lenses for now.

Mental 172 Cup
Okay will do! dont have enough money to play around with different bodies just now!

do you have a link to the wireless triggers??