ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New plate - Illegal is how I roll....

Thought ide have a punt on a new 3/4 plate. Got it from fancyplates.com and used the guide on here.. Ordered it yesterday, arrived this morning!

See how long it is till the rozzers pull me lol

Think it looks alot better than the legal one.

Its held on with ulta-strong halfords Velcro, so if the law pulls me I can switch it back there and then ;)

Before:

IMGP1111.jpg

During:

CIMG0315.jpg

CIMG0312.jpg

And After:

CIMG0316.jpg

CIMG0317.jpg

CIMG0318.jpg

Very nice,

Why are these illegal? Just the top and bottom height or is it letter size, Not allowing the stamp?

Dubmeister made pressed plates legal with a few adjustments, Would like to see similar to this made legal as well by a company..

Although im sure fancyplates have already looked into it?

Megane 265 Cup
The lettering IS smaller, therefore breaking the law. You can get away with it for years, but all it takes is one cop to pull you over and hand you 3 points...looks much nicer, but dunno if it is worth the risk thats all.

Megane 225
Looks great, but as said don't look too shocked when you get 3 points. The velcro thing isn't a good idea either, the cop will look at you and say "so you knew it was illegal then?"!

Looking for 182
The lettering IS smaller, therefore breaking the law. You can get away with it for years, but all it takes is one cop to pull you over and hand you 3 points...looks much nicer, but dunno if it is worth the risk thats all.

If this is the case then it's definitely not worth the risk in my opinion.

Looks good though.

Ime hoping that as the lettering isnt much smaller and it fills the entire recess on the bumper, the law wont notice... :dapprove:

If they do ile say sorry and offer to change it over right away, hoping they let me off lol

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
if the lettering is a different size, you technically can get done,

but since its the usual font, looks normal, and the correct lettering and spacing,

the likelyhood of him getting a tape measure out and checking is extremely low,
and if he did, claim it came with the car and you never thought to measure the letters and reaserch the correct size! (hardly an unreasonable claim lol), then youll most likely to be told to take them off. or VDN at most.

when i bothered getting new plates my fronts going to be a similar kind of thing.

Megane 265 Cup
Ime hoping that as the lettering isnt much smaller and it fills the entire recess on the bumper, the law wont notice... :dapprove:

If they do ile say sorry and offer to change it over right away, hoping they let me off lol

Don't be so sure of that mate, as I said it does look much nicer when I bought mine it had a smaller plate on but I have since have my cherished plate put on and am using the proper size plates, it doesn't look quite as good, but to me it ain't worth 3 penalty points you know. By all means don't let me put you off :) just don't be shocked if you get stopped about it.

Megane 265 Cup
if the lettering is a different size, you technically can get done,

but since its the usual font, looks normal, and the correct lettering and spacing,

the likelyhood of him getting a tape measure out and checking is extremely low,
and if he did, claim it came with the car and you never thought to measure the letters and reaserch them, then youll most likely to be told to take them off. or VDN at most.

when i bothered getting new plates my fronts going to be a similar kind of thing.

Believe me you don't need to get a tape measure out to see the difference it is quite obvious in the flesh that the plate is smaller along with the lettering, if you stick a legal plate beside that one in the pic you would notice pretty easily :)

walker182

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
sure it is , they take a note of the reg put a marker on it and if its not been changed the second time round then you might get a fine ?? , saw this on ROAD WARS so it must be true , chillax.

RB182 FF ASTRA GSI T
these look so much better, unfortunatly though i ahd 2 take mine off after 3 days and also got a £60 fine! the lettering is required to be 75mm tall and the 3/4 plate is only 70mm

Megane 265 Cup
I don't think his is 70mm tall, you can request them to be made to 84mm or maybe up to 90mm to fit the recess, but ok maybe you can't get penalty points, I thought you could, but it isn't really worth a 60 pounds fine either IMO

VRS
i had my 3/4 on for years but finally caught up with me when i was pulled by Traffic, i offered to swap it over straight away as it was velcro'd on but he told me to wait while he took a pic for evidence then he made me swap it over and sent me on a driver improvement course :(

MINI FJCW
i had my 3/4 on for years but finally caught up with me when i was pulled by Traffic, i offered to swap it over straight away as it was velcro'd on but he told me to wait while he took a pic for evidence then he made me swap it over and sent me on a driver improvement course :(

Bar steward!

RB One Eight Two
It looks much better mate, but personally I don't think it is worth the risk...

Forgot to add Silvervisions would finish off the front of your RB lovely mate, such a small mod but make a huge difference imo

Last edited:
  TrackCar & F30 330d

haha no way. Driver improvement course for a slightly smaller numberplate. what a joke.

I've has my smaller number plate on for around 1 year and have never been pulled over. Infact i've been driving for 5 years and have never been pulled over.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Looks mint that, i've been so tempted in the past but dont want the hassle should the police ever notice.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
these look so much better, unfortunatly though i ahd 2 take mine off after 3 days and also got a £60 fine! the lettering is required to be 75mm tall and the 3/4 plate is only 70mm

Ye I got a £60 fine for mine as well, talk about Coppers being anal!

Mini Cooper S sport
Looks a lot better than the really small plates some people have. Shame they're illegal really.