ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New plate - Illegal is how I roll....

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I had a plate that size on my car when I was last pulled over (random stop wasn't speeding). The police officer looked all round the car and didn't notice or comment on the small plate. Maybe I was lucky but it's probably because it fills the recess and the font is only a fraction smaller.

LOL at everyone in here defending an illegal mod, but when it comes to speeding nobody will admit it.

That said I do think these make such a difference to the front end, but as I'm sitting on 3 points already, I ain't risking my license for one (Still on my probation period).

Think its something to do with the police cameras can't read the number plate properly if the spacing/font size/font type has been altered

a burnt one
LOL at everyone in here defending an illegal mod, but when it comes to speeding nobody will admit it.

That said I do think these make such a difference to the front end, but as I'm sitting on 3 points already, I ain't risking my license for one (Still on my probation period).

Think its something to do with the police cameras can't read the number plate properly if the spacing/font size/font type has been altered

You won't be risking your license.

Astra Twintop
I got pulled for mine.

£30 fine and i had the original in the boot.
He wasn't having none of it.

Its going on for show ground use only now!!

a burnt one
Traffic Cops are all knobs round here and will pull you for anything. I got pulled for accelerating away from a roundabout "too quickly" because it was icy

Yeah they will pull you but at the worst they will fine you, despite what's written here you do not get points.

Audi TT 3.2
mine went through an MOT and i always go past coppers and nothing!

so i say deffently worth it!

Megane 265 Cup
To sum up, it looks great but keep it on at your own risk :) £30 or £60 fine etc your choice.

/end

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
£30 fine only, there is no way they can give you points.

If its a personal plate you can have it removed by the DVLA and permanently lose it. They will then stick you back on a normal plate...Or possibly a Q plate but never seen that done.

The plates are easily readable, most coppers i know are happy as long as its clearly legible and can be read by speed cameras etc.

DVLA get tougher on non-conforming number plates display

We had heard rumours of changes in DVLA procedure for reporting and dealing with display of non-compliant number plates, which meant de-registration of the vehicle for first offence if not dealt with promptly and without warning for a second offence.
The owner of the offending vehicle would receive a letter giving 28 days to have a set of complying plates fitted and a confirmation photo to be sent back. If this were not received within 28 days the vehicle would automatically be deregistered on the 29th day.
In the case of a cherished / personal plate the right to display would be lost. When you purchase a cherished / personal plate you only receive the right to display that plate, it always remains the property of the Secretary for State, as does every registration number, and can be removed at their discretion at any time.

De-registration means removal of the number currently displayed and having to have a new different number issued by the local DVLA office. This would entail updating tax disc, MOT and insurance to reflect the new number and possibly inspection of the vehicle as well.
Previously the Police needed to complete a long winded form to notify DVLA and consequently most offences were dealt with by a statutory fine system and it was hit and miss whether DVLA were informed.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Its not £30 anymore. It went up last year. Its now £60. I put mine on a few week's back and not had any greif yet touch wood.

Clio 182
To be honest I dont think they would be an issue under normal circumstances. It's only if you get stopped for doing something naughty that they will then look for every reason they can to give you grief. Moral of the story - if you have illegal plates; drive sensibly!

VRS
To be honest I dont think they would be an issue under normal circumstances. It's only if you get stopped for doing something naughty that they will then look for every reason they can to give you grief. Moral of the story - if you have illegal plates; drive sensibly!

imo it just depends on the police man, i quote when i got pulled in the rb he said:

"wat do u expect in a car like this" :( lol

BG182FF
not worth it in my eyes, they do look ace but its not worth the hassle. been pulled over twice and had £60 fine each time, the traffic cops have it on record and can even come round your house to see if it has been removed. They said if i get caught again, they will issue section 59 and next time take the car off me and impound it. It might look like a small difference in plate size but you can definately notice it when you drive past someone else. Its usually traffic cops that look, not normal police cars

a burnt one
not worth it in my eyes, they do look ace but its not worth the hassle. been pulled over twice and had £60 fine each time, the traffic cops have it on record and can even come round your house to see if it has been removed. They said if i get caught again, they will issue section 59 and next time take the car off me and impound it. It might look like a small difference in plate size but you can definately notice it when you drive past someone else. Its usually traffic cops that look, not normal police cars

At last, someone recognises that traffic cops and your normal copper are not one and the same.

Gaz85

ClioSport Club Member
  330e, golf r, EP3 s4
Had mine on for ages although i aint ever been pulled by traffic, if i get pulled fair play I run the risk as I like how it looks.

Da

Less
Mine -

CanonCarPics012-1.jpg

CanonCarPics020-2.jpg

About as legal as you can get without adding all the BS rubbish, even passes the MOT :)

BG182FF
daz, yours dont look half as noticeble as the font seems to be normal. But the 3/4 plate ones, the font is a lot smaller and is a lot more noticeable.

Not gary, the normal police around here dont do anything apart from crime really. But traffic cops go out looking for things like number plates, tints, speedin, racing etc. Like i said, they look ace, but Im not risking it no more after two times with £60 fines and a section 59.

Da

Less
can you buy 3/4 plates with standard font and spacing?

No, that's like a double negative.

You'd have to measure the minimum space required for your registration number to be spaced legally in the correct font etc. Then add 22mm to the length and 22mm to the height as you have to have an 11mm border all the way round.

If you had, for example, D 1 then the plate would be tiny and still legal.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I actually think std size plates look better, somehow these smaller ones look a little wrong to my eyes.

Megane r26
i've had mine on for 5 months bin pulled twice an never had oat said but they are illegal either way or at least mine is got it from fancy plates has no stamps or postcode of where it was made an lettering is smaller but i know that an if i ever get a fine i can't really argue but in my opinion looks better but each to there own

S4 Avant
Had my plate for 2 years now, never caused any issues with MOT/police.

Aslong as it's subtle, and on the front, you're not going to get hassled

DSC00059-1.jpg