ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Plugs for 172

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

thinking of changing the plugs in my 172, i noticed the cup clios use NGK plugs, and i think i have head a few guys on here say they use them, are these the best?, how much? where from? and how do you actually get to the plugs on the 172 engine?

Many, many thanks in advance.

Gaz

Renault Laguna Coupe

The original plugs cost a fortune, and they dont need changing until 72,000 miles I think. Why change them? A sparks a spark isnt it?

Nippy white cup

I just replaced mine after 17000 hard miles. It has made a world of difference. They are std ones iirc and are NGK platinum tipped

Chris

Nippy white cup

Lol I think that track day didnt help! My m8 reckoned they werent too badly worn, but once they were replaced they made a difference. Maybe there was a dodgy connection...

Chris

Nippy white cup

Lol I think the drop in performance was very gradual. We wouldnt really have noticed but when at York my times were 1/2 second slower and 4mph less! With the new plugs in it is like when I first drove it with Rsport and decat on...Im smiling again!! :D

Chris

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

at the moment i think my car could possibly misfiring on idle, most mornings when i start it and the engine is cold, if i hold the accelerator and rev the engine at 2,000rpm the whole car shakes (stuturing) until the engine warms up, once its warm it is fine, but until then it is an absolute b**ch. So i was hoping that upgrading the plugs would make a difference, any one else experienced this when their engine is cold?

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by Gaz2130 on 28 April 2004

at the moment i think my car could possibly misfiring on idle, most mornings when i start it and the engine is cold, if i hold the accelerator and rev the engine at 2,000rpm the whole car shakes (stuturing) until the engine warms up, once its warm it is fine, but until then it is an absolute b**ch. So i was hoping that upgrading the plugs would make a difference, any one else experienced this when their engine is cold?
Its deliberately like this - the engine runs like a dog until its warmed up because the cat doesnt work properly while its cold. Latest EURO emission regs as I understand it.

Dixon renault in york just quoted me £850 for my 72,000 service on my 172. They reckon that this is £350 for the service and £500 for the timing belt. Apparently they have to take off the inlet manifold to get at the plugs!! Is this true or are they taking the p*ss?

Workmates think its hilarious that Im being quoted more for a major service than the local BMW dealer has quoted for doing my mates M3.