ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Rig Spec

I'm looking at getting a new PC, which I 'm looking at playing some intense gaming on and want it to last me a few years, below is a spec I have put together. What do you guys think of the spec and are their any recommendations you can suggest and if it will all work together, lol.

• Antec P182 Black
  • Antec TruePower Quattro 850W Modular PSU - 2x 8pin PCI-E, 2x 6pin PCI-E, 4x 12V Rails 80PLUS Energy Efficiency
  • ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP AiLifestyle Series P35 Socket 775 Socket eSATA 8 channel Audio ATX Motherboard
  • OCZ 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 (OCZ2N1066SR2GK) Dual Channel SLI Ready Edition
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair)) Retail Boxed Processor
  • Western Digital Raptor 150GB S150 16mb 10000rpm
  • Western Digital Raptor 150GB S150 16mb 10000rpm
  • Extra Value Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 Dual DVI PCI E Graphics Card OEM
  • Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM
  • NEC Optiarc AD-7170S-0B 18x DVD±RW/DL/RAM Serial ATA Black - OEM
  • Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Socket 775 CPU Cooler

Comes to a total of £1230.

R

rich[182]

Quality case & psu there
Personally I'd go for one of the Gigabyte P35 boards, only because theres a lot of threads on various forums with problems on recent batches of Asus boards
Memory - I'd use Corsair XMS2 or Crucial Ballistix, also get 4Gb for your 64 bit Vista
Don't bother on the Quad core yet, for now just get a E4300 for £75 and o/c to 3.3GHz as the new Quad's are out in Jan so the Q6600 is rumoured to come down 50% in price
Save some money and replace the raptors with Western Digital's AAKS drives
Re. 8800GTX, theres still no evidence that even the 8800GTX/Ultra will cut it with the likes of Crysis at very high res with all the bells and whistles switched on
Theres new 8800GTS640 cards out in 4 weeks which are specced halfway between current GTS640 and GTX so maybe theres some good deals to be had with old stock of current GTS's shortly, or a new GTS640 o/c will be 80-90% performance of a GTX and much cheaper
For spending in excess of £300 on a GPU I'd wait till the next gen cards are out, not the 1st gen DX10 cards

1.2 16v Dynamique
tbh, id say that is a really good rig youve made their, but maybe try a fatality motherboard? they are almost perfect for gaming and have everything youll need, also like rich said: I'd use Corsair XMS2 - that would be your best bet in terms of RAM, primarily because corsair offer the top-end RAM in the market aswell as giving you a lifetime warranty - nice choice of gfx card there also, but surely if your spending that kinda money, just SLI the 8800's? - a possibility for that money :D

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'll have another look at the options after your advise.

The reason I didn't bother SLIing the GTXs is because I didn't think they performed a great deal better than a single GTX card.

There seems to be loads of motherboard with Crossfire support, but not many with SLi support, am I missing something?

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
im purchasing this very soon:

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket LGA775)

Lian-Li PC-7 PLUS II Aluminium Midi-Tower Case - Black

Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz Dual Channel Kit (BL2KIT12864AA804)

Abit IP35 Pro (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

Corsair HX 520W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-520HXUK)

OcUK GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - OEM

Western Digital Caviar SE16 400GB SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

Comes to £900 all in

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
dont get a corsair psu!...

there are better out there for the monies.

other than that adam its a good spec... also the pc case's by LianLi tend to be very pricey but, if its what you want!!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
whats wrong with the psu's matey? I got that recommendation from the overclockers forum, everyone was rating them highly? any recommendations?

The case is £55 I think. I fancy a nice looking but practical one if im building a beast :D

I see you have the Abit IP35, guessing that reviews quite well from what I can see, does anyone actually have that board here?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
the psu's are ok, heard good and both bad reviews about them. enermax all the way! or thermaltake, not heard a bad word said yet.

how much is the corsair?

Better than yours. C*nt.
650-700w off the top of my head, probably get away with a bit less but it'll be tight then.

R

rich[182]

The Antec Trio 650W is a quality PSU at reasonable price, it's not simply a case of getting so many watts either, some of the cheaper PSU's that claim peak power of 650W are a shower of s***e and are nowhere near 650W, one factor to take serious are the number of 12v rails and the current they can run. The Antec has 3 x 12v rails and loadshares between them, total draw upto something like 60A, dedicated rail for PCI-E connections and the like, also got a damn good fan too
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-063-AN&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=