ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New suspension needed - maybe ???

Monaco 172 Ph2
iM a newbie so dont shoot me down :)

Im new to having a sport model and when i first took it on the motorway it seemed to pull off to the left everytime i went over the smallest of bumps, since then i have had the wheels re-alligned as a new ball joint was fitted and the guy previous didnt get it alligned again, it seems to have made the problem better but doest appear to have stopped it, is it me just being stupid or is it because the car is so small and light that the power in the wheels causes this to happen :s im confused lol

Also on the standard suspension the car seems a bit hardon the road and can nearly feel every bump, can you suggest what suspension kit i can look to maybe make it a smoother and softer ride,

and on the first point, could a strut being on its way out cause the car to shift to the side when over bumps ??

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help :)

Changes to often
you wont need an alignment after a balljoint is replaced. as for the pulling to the left, all cars do it, unless its really pulling then somthings is defo wrong, but when you let the wheel go slightly it should drift left, you get quite alot of feed back through the steering in a 172 so may seem more severe than in other cars

WRX
Think you'll struggle to get softer than standard suspension. Take it you didn't have a sporty car before this then because I don't think the ride is hard for a hot hatch at all. Maybe your shocks are on the way out which may explain your harsh ride and questionable handling. For the record I'm 39 and had about 30 cars so I know the difference between soft and hard suspension feel. Mines also on Sportlines and I use mine everyday and wouldn't say it was too hard at all. Yes I feel the bumps etc. but it's more than acceptable and would still describe it as reasonably comfortable.

Monaco 172 Ph2
First sporty car i had was an M reg ford fiesta 1.6 si lol and cant remember what it was like tbh, more recently the 1.6 16v dynamique+ cliowhich apparently has a more sportier suspension than the smaller engine models, the ride doesnt bother me tbh,

Its more the fact i'll be doing 80mph down the motorway and go over a bump or spacing in the road and the car feels like it moves and tbh a few times i have s**t myself :$

But it seems to do this at around 40 and above obviously the faster i get the worse it feels ???

WRX
I really don't feel like mine tramlines or anything that can be associated with hot hatches/low profile tyres so my guess is that there is an underlying problem somewhere. Mine is far more comfortable than I thought it would be before I drove one.

Any change of steering or suspension components should ideally be followed by an alignment check!!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Get your rear dampers checked for leaks/fluid...dodgy shocks can lead to vagueness over the rear end which will make car step out when going round bends!

Monaco 172 Ph2
Get your rear dampers checked for leaks/fluid...dodgy shocks can lead to vagueness over the rear end which will make car step out when going round bends!

Would this be the case when going down a straight road and over a bump/hole in the road aswell ??

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Would this be the case when going down a straight road and over a bump/hole in the road aswell ??

It can do on occasions. I noticed significant 'squirm' when one of my shocks had gone pop on white lines when changing lanes on a Dual Carriageway.

Jack up the rear corner and see if there is any significant liquid around the shock area.

Monaco 172 Ph2
It can do on occasions. I noticed significant 'squirm' when one of my shocks had gone pop on white lines when changing lanes on a Dual Carriageway.

Jack up the rear corner and see if there is any significant liquid around the shock area.

Yeah sounds familiar lol - and i think i remember the guy in the garage where i ot my wheels aligned saying there was a bit of damp on a rear shocker :eek:

Anyone know of the best place to find a cheap rear shock ?? All my local motor factors dont seem to list anything !!!

Monaco 172 Ph2
Would this feeling of the car stepping out/squirming also be possible if the front top strut mount was knackered ???

Cup In bits
No I very much doubt it. Its not going to help, top mounts usually just cause knocking depending on design. Im a mechanic to trade and could 99% say that your issue is shocker related, vagueness of steering, rough ride, suspension crashing, tramlining etc etc.

Quick test for you push down on each corner of the car one corner at a time and keep an eye on what it does, if it settles quickly or continues to move. Can be hard to tell sometimes, easier if someone pushes it and you watch or vice versa or just look for fluid knackered shocks don't always leak tho.

Replace your shocks or save yourself some money in the long run and get some coilover's if you plan to modify.

Monaco 172 Ph2
No I very much doubt it. Its not going to help, top mounts usually just cause knocking depending on design. Im a mechanic to trade and could 99% say that your issue is shocker related, vagueness of steering, rough ride, suspension crashing, tramlining etc etc..

So when you say shocker related is that 99% that its the rear or could it possibly be the fronts ??

Ta.

Cup In bits
I can't tell you that without you going to look at it like I have said. Rear shockers typically would give more of a tendency to make the car wonder.

Monaco 172 Ph2
I can't tell you that without you going to look at it like I have said. Rear shockers typically would give more of a tendency to make the car wonder.

From having a quick glance on my break at work, the offside rear doesnt seem to move much when pushing down on the back where as the nearside has alot more bounce,

And im assuming that the tyres should be roughly the same distance in height from the arches as the back offside seems to sit lower than the nearside :s