ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to Clio Sport

Clio 172
Hi guys

Recently joined up!! Thought id post on here

I currently own a 1.6 vti CRX but am looking to sell it and purchase a Clio Sport 172 Ph2 model in the next couple of weeks

Is there anything i should look out for??

Thanks

Lee

Merc
Is there anything i should look out for??

On a used car of that age and it being French, loads lol. Do a search for whatever concerns you have. When viewing a vehicle take someone with mechanical knowledge. A guy recently on here bought his car went to view it with out his father who was a mechanic and on the roadtrip back from buying it the bonnet flew open and smashed the windscreen...

Welcome though. :D

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
TBF I doubt a mechanic would spot a faulty Bonnet catch without doing a completely thorough inspection of the whole car.

182 Turbo Project
The main thing I would want to see would be service history, when were the belts done etc

I didn't check this when I bought mine as I hadn't done enough research!

So take your time and don't by a nail!

Another thing, if you post up any adverts that you have been looking at, if it hasn't been owned by a member on here, there are members that would be able to offer sound advice!

:D

Clio 172
Yea i heard about that bonnet incident! the lad is a friend of mine. That was very unfortunate, this is why im asking if there is any thing else to watch out for when buying one! i generally no things like S/H Mots etc just thinks i may not no like a re-call on bonnet catches etc

Clio 172
The the 'Cheese Wedge' as people like to suggest!! Its an awsome car absolutely love driving it but its just too old now.

Are the ph1's better than the ph2's then?

Listerine & Poledo
Even the oldest of CRX will be far, far, FAR more reliable than the newest of Renault.

If it's one of the air-con and leather ones, I'd suggest you just keep it and maybe get any rust / issues fixed instead. If anything it's only going to go up in value from here on in anyway (like Mk.1 MR2's are starting too, anything from that era in good nick is appreciating)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've had both mk2 phases, and driven a friend's wedge CRX too !

Ph2 has a nicer interior... thats it on plus point for me. Xenons are nice, but decent bulbs on a Ph1 is no problem (and cheaper to replace when they go pop!). That's where it ends in my opinion. Engines are basically the same. Brakes, size of car etc.... all the same. Some Ph2's have TC and ESP which in a RenaultSport is ridiculous and not needed. It's a Clio, not a Koniegseggegegabbavikingbus. 172 Cup has no ABS and can be tricky to insure depending on personal circumstances and insurer preference.

Ph1 has cable throttle and different gear ratios (Ph2 is slightly heavier) so its better on fuel, nicer to drive (if you're a 'driver', not a person with a driving licence), and looks much meaner, again IMO. They're older, so to the general public must be sh*t, so therefore they're cheaper to buy than the Ph2 now !

Go drive both, and see what YOU think. :)