ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New top mounts - WOW

Ive had the top mounts replaced this week, and i cant believe how much difference its made to the handling.

The front end feels a lot more stable and composed, there is less understeer and - to my great suprise, the car can now be sent completely sideways with a bit of lift off oversteer.

I was coming off a small, slightly damp roundabout last night and i lifted slightly to tighten my line and wham, the back end suddenly started coming round like it used to on my old 205GTi, it took me completely by suprise and i didnt floor it like i used to, but controlled it on a trailing throttle (like an idiot).

This morning, similar situation (damp roundabout) but this time it was a big motorway junction with no traffic lights. Its a two lane entry, single lane exit affair and there was a truck in the left lane going the same way as me, so since it was early i decided to take to the right and get past. As i pass him, i lift off a bit to take to the exit and wham, again. This time im going a lot faster, but i floor it. the front tyres lose grip too, and im travelling completely sideways coming off this roundabout, it was a real tv show moment, great fun.

I have to say im loving my car at the moment, i just wish i didnt have to drive it to work everyday.

Im looking forward to seeing how much difference the new steering rack will make....

Quote: Originally posted by SteveJJH on 11 April 2003

Im looking forward to seeing how much difference the new steering rack will make....

As i said in your thread im worried it could end in tears, on a track it wouldnt matter if you over corrected oversteer, you have space to make up for it. On road you could over correct, spin... It would only be worthwile if you could get a rack like in the latest sports cars which adjust to what speed youre going, but you cant so dont bother, please!

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Your not wrong mate, when i had one replaced last year the difference was quite considerable. Made me smile when i threw it into a corner and it just flew round it, when it would have normally wobbled a bit !!

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 11 April 2003

Quote: Originally posted by SteveJJH on 11 April 2003

As i said in your thread im worried it could end in tears, on a track it wouldnt matter if you over corrected oversteer, you have space to make up for it. On road you could over correct, spin... It would only be worthwile if you could get a rack like in the latest sports cars which adjust to what speed youre going, but you cant so dont bother, please!
NOWAY!!!! HAMMER IT!! SIDEWAYS IS COOL!!!

Rob - Ive decided on the standard rack. The one ive got at the moment is quite worn, so thats the difference im looking forward to. it should make it a bit easier to correct cos theres not that slack there.

Aaron - I dont have the receipt on me, so i dont know the breakdown, but it cost me £100 in all.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

When i got my steering rack changed the difference was unbelievable. Well worth it.

Make sure you get original Renualt part. Just over £100 for the part.

Errr where did you get the parts fitted mate ??......... were the mounts used genuine renault ??....... coz i enquired @ Renault about the two side mounts about a month ago... & was told the side mounts were £60.00 each !!......... so £100.00 for the lot sounds bloddy cheap !!

Unless im totally in the wrong ball room & your talkin about strut mounts & im thinkin your chattin about engine mounts !!!

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, Where have I gone wrong? Then a voice says to me, This is going to take more than one night. "

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 15 April 2003

yup, hes talking suspension strut tops

When you say top mounts do you mean the cup like tops that you can see from inside the engine bay, basically the last thing that bolts on to the top of the strutt??

Yeah, i think youve got the right idea. Basically the bits that would be at either end of a strut brace.

Ive had the steering rack done now and its handling nicely, i really needed to get rid of the dead spot, especially with the big wheels on, it just needs more power and better brakes now.