ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New toy (XR2 inside)

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Cool as F*ck!!

Exactly the sort of thing I'd love. Planned on doing it last year until the mrs fell pregnant.

Once I've bought the next house I'd love to do it!

Lots of sprints/hill climbs that I could have a bit of fun in.

172, Tiguan
I'm old enough to remember Cars & Car Conversions magazine building an old XR2 stock hatch car way back when.

Enjoy!

tiTTy & SV650
Very good wee man, will easily out pace a 1*2 round a track!

You reckon?! The zetec s' are quicker in the fiesta challenge races and they aint as fast as a 1*2, my mates cousins and uncle build and race xr2's at Knockhill

Cooksport Fleet
Very good wee man, will easily out pace a 1*2 round a track!

no they wont, class A isnt far off one tho. Depends what track obviously.

See you out there buddy, car looks good :)

My car isnt far of finishing!

cage went in on the weekend :)

172, Tiguan
Depends on the track I guess, though the XR2's were only 90 brake iirc. Somewhere like Silverstone I'd put money on the Clio. Last time I checked XR2's were old hat in stock hatch and everyone had moved onto Saxo's. I maybe wrong though!

172, Tiguan
Wiki, that famed reliable source says 96ps. Though 24 years of use later, it's a lottery i'd guess.

Cooksport Fleet
well my clio was quicker than my mate in a stock hatch car, around brands hatch. Everyone did move to saxos. But i have just develoved a C2 Vts, see how that goes :)

Wiki, that famed reliable source says 96ps. Though 24 years of use later, it's a lottery i'd guess.

Yeah, this one's RR'd at 94bhp (atw) when the engine was fully rebuilt (& blueprinted/balanced) in May 2009 - it's done approximately 150 miles on the new engine (from my maths). Weighs ~830kg with driver in. In context it's got more power and is a tiny bit lighter than the Nova that won the Class B championship last year.

I looked at this car back end of last year, but it was above what I wanted to spend, especially as I'd have to have bought a trailer too. Was really on the look out for a 205 - but when this re-advertised (few hundred quid cheaper) and there was a bargain trailer on the go too, I snapped it up!

Scrubbed up quite well today and got myself a list of things to be getting on with - mainly tidying up a bit of paintwork and changing fluids/checking brake wear etc - it'll be all ready to go on track in four weeks time for a trackday at Teesside. Not the world's greatest circuit - but good enough to learn to drive and check everything's bolted together ;)

Last edited:
  E90
I had one of these when i was 19 (long time ago) LOL Epic fun, zero suspension as std, proper car.

Oh and your avatar is a Mk1, get it sorted

172 sport
Love the old XR2's,I had one too,back in 1986,a black C reg,it was brand new then,24 years ago,god I feel old :(

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
You'll have to bring it down south sometime. I'll let you do abit of testing for your next champ.;)

ado

ClioSport Club Member
  기아 &#4
Not sure I'll go to croft tbh. It just costs so much money for a WE.

Meet halfway at Oulton? lol

JDM Dc2
You reckon?! The zetec s' are quicker in the fiesta challenge races and they aint as fast as a 1*2, my mates cousins and uncle build and race xr2's at Knockhill

just seen this... they aint zetec s' in the fiesta challenge, there mk4 fiesta's with mk5 front ends (well some of them are anyways), and they're a 1400cc zetec engine not a 1600.

love the old xr2's :approve: mum used to have a e reg black one when i was at school, wanted that car so much. then she traded it in for a brand new nissan micra.......

keep us updated mate. subscribed.

Just a little update, not too much has happened lately, mainly due to ££££s.

Dropped the car off at the local garage on Friday morning in the freezing cold, driving rain, managed to beach the car on the trailer for a good twenty minutes and got a decent crowd watching - fail.

It was in for a front wheel bearing change which he said should take him an hour or so... phone rang at 4pm (seven hours later) and he was bleating on about having to do some welding and cutting :S Went to pick it up and he said that the struts were welded to the hubs and he had to cut them apart and reweld after, in order to refit the bearing. Mint. Charged the grand total of £60 for the privilege.

Stalled the car on the first attempt to get it back on the trailer - flooded at the second attempt, so took another 20 mins to re-load. Fantastic.

Trackday at Teesside booked for Friday (12th) - £99 open pit, only 9 other cars booked in at the mo - another XR2, Capri, couple of Scoobs, couple of minis, couple of 106s. People keep asking me how the preparation is going for it - it's got oil, it's got brakes, the windows are clean - that's about all I've done. Still plenty of work to be done on the paintwork and needs a good mechanic to check it all over for anything I've missed, so Hutchie will be getting that job in a few weeks.

Pics/Vids from trackday to follow next weekend.

Trackday. Done.

Went pretty well all things considered, noticed a rather small problem in the lunch break.

23798_380113433003_48424763003_3951197_5084480_n.jpg

Moved it onto the back and forgot about it. Will replace in time for the racing. Turning a blind eye to a potential blowout is ftw.

Only other problems all day were that the steering wheel is off centre and the oil pressure display was always on, but it had oil in, there wasn't any in the coolant and it wasn't leaking so I presumed it was fine.

Few more pics. Vids to follow.

23798_380121503003_48424763003_3951296_7163976_n.jpg

23798_380121508003_48424763003_3951297_2596992_n.jpg

23798_380121513003_48424763003_3951298_2554484_n.jpg

23798_380121518003_48424763003_3951299_279527_n.jpg

Plus, tripod-tastic. Apex-hmm.

23798_380119208003_48424763003_3951261_5117521_n.jpg