ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New valeo alternator faulty?

172 Cup
Just fitted a new 75A valeo alternator to my 172 cup, and it seems to be discharging the battery when the ignition is off.

The battery has discharged from 12v to 3v when parked up for 3 days

The alternator charges at 14.1v but a can hear it humming under the bonnet when the ignition is off.

My meter says the battery has 12.85 volts when off and this discharges to 12.70v within 5 minutes.

The alternator is the only item i can find that appears to be drawing current.

If i disconnect the cable from alternator terminal B+, then the battery does not discharge.

Is the alternator supposed to be totally silent when the ignition is off?

It is as if the alternator is trying to run at a motor, from the battery supply, at 12V but 0Hz.

I assume i have a duff alternator, can anyone here confirm this, or suggest anything else i can do to establish whether it is faulty.

Many thanks.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Should be totally silent, from what I gather?

My duff alternator was much easier to work out due to it seizing and having a wonderful burning rubber smell from the belt :p

D.