ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Virgin Platform

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Speaking to someone today at some point in march 20mb broadband customers are being switched over to a new platform which will allow 50mb broadband speeds

4mb customers will be upgraded to 20mb

20mb and 50mb customers will be on the new platform and other customers will stay on the old platform

It should reduce the strain on the exchanges.

Citroen DS3 DSport
4mb customers are to be upgraded to 10mb according to the VM advert in yesterday's Metro.

172 Cup
Apparently Elvis works in their call centre too..

Not sure what Virgin cable has to do with strain on exchanges lol

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Im glad i didnt switch to Be* though i hear their dns servers are proper ropey and people cant get access to a lot of websites using them

172 Cup
Im glad i didnt switch to Be* though i hear their dns servers are proper ropey and people cant get access to a lot of websites using them

Wrong.

Be* changed their DNS servers a couple of weeks ago as "some" people were having problems. Of course anyone with any common sense would just use an alternative like OpenDNS or Treewalk anyway.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
some people recently changed to open dns and couldnt reach some webpages such as google

172 Cup
some people recently changed to open dns and couldnt reach some webpages such as google

Mate where do you get all this crap from? I'm not sure if you read something and then put your interpretation on it but your coming out with some rubbish.

There was a single day a couple of weeks ago where some Be* customers on the old Be* DNS servers couldn't access Google.

If you understood what DNS did and how OpenDNS works you'd realise what you'd said was totally inaccurate.

172 Cup
I'm sure Virgin never mentioned anything at all about "strain" and "exchanges".

The rest of your post was fairly accurate if a little outdated.

When you say accurate Griff . Do you mean that 4mb is going to be upgraded to 20mb ? Afaik it's only being upgraded to 10mb .

I meant accurate in the sense Virgin are increasing speeds but that's about as close to reality as The_one's post got. As for 4mbps I think you're correct in saying it's going to 10mbps.

Evo 8 Jap Crap

Mate where do you get all this crap from? I'm not sure if you read something and then put your interpretation on it but your coming out with some rubbish.

There was a single day a couple of weeks ago where some Be* customers on the old Be* DNS servers couldn't access Google.

If you understood what DNS did and how OpenDNS works you'd realise what you'd said was totally inaccurate.

I posted what other people have said not me so dont go accusing people of making up bullshit fella

I quote....

Yep me too, anyone got OpenDNS's IPs to hand?

smile.gif

I have been trying to get the opendns servers to work with no luck
frown.gif

I’ve just tried those under the IPv4 settings in Vista, but they don’t seem to solve the problem loading certain sites, is there a way to change the DNS settings in the Be Speedtouch box?

172 Cup
Take a deep breath, read what I typed again and then point out where I accused you of making anything up..

With respect to the people you are quoting just because some people have less intelligence than a womble and can't get their heads round DNS servers (or the internet as a whole) doesn't mean they are correct.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Oh as for the single day people were still having problems yesterday (18th)

18th Feb 2008, 09:48 PM #1 [ hyper_piper45 vbmenu_register("postmenu_11130193", true);
Wise Guy

Be* being slow!
Is anyone on be* finding that web pages are taking a long time to respond. Some sites like google and ocuk forums are quick but others just seem to take ages. When they do start to load they are quick, its just the time to respond initially.

Also www.bethere.co.uk will not load at all. It just stuck on the loading screen. I'm in manchester by the way.
18th Feb 2008, 09:55 PM #2 Brain vbmenu_register("postmenu_11130241", true);
Hitman

Same here - also with BE.

Its been gradually getting worse as the evening progresses. I cant get to most web-sites now....cant even get to BE's website like you to check for network status (although I did manage to check earlier and there were no alerts...)
18th Feb 2008, 09:58 PM #3 RJC vbmenu_register("postmenu_11130259", true);
Wise Guy

It's not just me then, I'm in kent and getting the same.

Rob

172 Cup
Wow a few people from OCUK are having problems with Be*.

Mate I can go on a variety of forums, quote a few people moaning about every single ISP in the UK and then come out with some bold statement that they are all crap. I could even follow your lead and provide quotes but it wouldn't make the statement any more correct or accurate.

Jesus wept..

Evo 8 Jap Crap
So its purely coincidence that people from different areas are still having problems with be*??

Problems that you say were sorted weeks ago yet an ocuk member who works for be* acknowledged that their are still problems??

I've had a tech visit from a Virgin engineer tonight.

He said himself there is no way the existing network will take 50Mbit connections without massive financial investment and he sees no sign of this coming.

I'm at a crossroads, I don't want to change the telephone number I've had for over 10 years and I've just bought a new cable router. (I also don't pay the bill ;) )

All I can do is but prey that Branson dips his hand in his wallet...

Big numbers sell internet connections unfortunately.

No way will they be able to come even close to the connection speeds they are offering, charging what they do, without going out of business. (which is why it's much slower than they advertise ;))

Indeed they do

Currently crawling along with a download of 0.27Mbps and a upload of 0.78Mbps...

Helpful eh?

Anyone want some mp3's ;)

Mito Sportiva 135
I think you all underestimate the B Man and Virgin...they have always (tried to) be the best and for the lowest price, thats how they have done so well in so many different industries. I have VM at home and can only remember one evening in the many years we have had it (and NTL before it) where I couldn't access the net and always seem fairly rapido.

As for all this DNS, I have no idea what this means...a brief explanation please someone? Ta!

Citroen DS3 DSport
My VM connection was dead when I got home yesterday, a engineer is booked for tomorrow morning. The upstream is constantly ranging.

The data connection to the V+ box is also offline so it must be the line into the house that is causing the problem.