ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Windscreen

1.8 Civic EX
Ok so mine is cracked...whats the deal on getting a new one? Just thinking about the rain sensing wipers and light sensor for the headlights?

Also has like a stange film/tint on my current screen. I'd want one exctly the same but not sure if autoglass etc would do that?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
the tint is to stop UV rays from the sun. autoglass will provide that. The lights and wipers are done by the sensor inside the car (there is a gel between the sensor and the windscreen for the wipers/rain sensitivity).

with regards to getting a new one, if you have windscreen cover it will be free, otherwise its your insurance excess i think!

1.8 Civic EX
cool cheers, will auto glass be alright with sorting the gel sensor aswell then?

i'm pretty sure i've got windscreen cover but I have to pay something like £50 towards it...

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
well new windscreens will be more than 50 pounds and im sure your excess will be aswell! at least its 50 quid for a new windscreen fitted and you wont lose your NCB.

AFAIK yes, they sort everything out for you... that gel stuff is just KY jelly i think lol.

I'm with elephant and had to get mine replaced, the new windscreen they put in had the film on it like the original, and they also sorted out the gel pack for the rain sensor.

Can't remember what company they sent out however, cost me 70 quid :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Just ring your insurance company and tell them, you pay them the excess for the window and arrange an appointment.
I'm with Greenlight, so for £60 Autoglass sorted my window out including the sensor - whole job done in less than 10 minutes I may add :)

C

Cupster

Yep, usually if you don't use the insurance approved suppliers they only pay out up to £150 iirc. Check your ins. doco's matey as I can't see the 172 ws being cheap!?

Black Gold Trophy
Oh Ryan, I have an independent guy who does all my glass work, I'll give you his number if you like. I've known him a few years and I've never heard a bad word about his work.
He used to work for autoglass and has told me some shocking things about the way they do things. I would always use him even if my insurance doesnt cover it.
He refitted my corsa windscreen as it was leaking, and even brought a spare along in case the window broke when he took it out, but he managed to do it without breaking it!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My heated screen was replaced yesterday by autoglass.

They take you reg no. and process it.My insurance is a 60 quid excess for windscreens and is replaced regardless,mine had a heated screen as standard and they will do the same for yours.Its in the policy

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
easy peezy mate they will whip it in and out (no pun intended) in no time.

extreme 04
I also need a new windscreen, but i toffed my old car a while ago and am not massively keen on digging into the insurance! :( how much would it cost to pay for fitting and the windscreen?

1.8 Civic EX
thanks for the offer jack but it's all good, just called autoglass...was quite chuffed with the guy on the phone, he used to own a ph1 172 and is looking at getting a ph2 so he knew all about the seners etc which was good...

£60 it's gonna cost but thats ok cos my dad cracked it so he's paying lol