ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie from Canberra, Australia

2004 Clio Sport 172
Greetings this is Damian from Canberra Australia.
I am, for the last two days, the proud owner of a little black 2004 model Clio Sport.
I believe it is the 172 version as it has the 15" wheels. It has the stability control button, but was disappointed that it didn't have the cruise control / speed limitter feature.
I bought the car for $6990 with 125,390kms on the clock.
It has a few car park dents, a beautiful interior and a very good log book service history.
I will be working on the car myself wherever possible.
I previously owned a 1996 Suzuki Baleno GTX 1.8 which was traded for the Clio. Sadly the Baleno was getting long in the tooth and needing a lot of work... Not economically viable.
I have, in the distant past, owned many things including a 2000 model Suzuki Baleno 1.6 with a custom turbo conversion, 2001 Pug 206 GTi and 2002 Pug 307 HDi, several Balenos a Swift GTi a Toyota T-18 and old Alfa 1750 Berlina as a first car many years ago. I am a Suzuki tragic but am new to the Renault.
I intend to buy the special cam and crank locking tools such that I can change the timing belt and pulleys, etc. myself.
This Clio comes just prior to my 40th birthday so it can be viewed as my mid-life crisis car. Hahaha! That is what I tell the Wife.
The car does need new front rotors as they are visibly quite hammered, though pads are good.
My question for the gurus is regarding the timing belt. My books state the timing belt was replaced on 20th April 2009 @ 74,706kms. The car is now at 125,400kms. Should I be worried right away? I intend to replace the timing belt, water pump and such myself but firstly I need to read up on the things and download manuals. I am new to these things but as a tech can do all mechanics myself.

That will do for now... I will try to post some pics in the near future.

Cheers,
Damian

02 Iceberg 172
Hi Damian - congrats on the purchase!

Cliosport is a great source of knowledge on all things Clio but if you haven't already come and say hi on ozrenaultsport.com as well. There's a few Canberra guys on there too :)

As for the timing belt, with 50000kms and almost 4 1/2 years I'd suggest it's due - and if you are in there doing that and the water pump etc you would also be best to do the aux belt at the same time...