ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Hints

Hi, I am thinking of getting a 182 and am test driving one at at dealer on sat. As a complete Clio novice, what should I go for? Sorry the question is pretty general. Is the 182 noticably better than the 172? What are the cup options to go for? I quite fancy the french racing blue with white stripes (if thats the right description!). Is that good or should I see a doc? How do they depreciate?

BTW I am downgrading from an Evo VIII (theres a good reason but its not a very exciting one). Its 7 months old so has had its big depreciation hit! So if anyone wants to upgrade, it could be quite an economical deal!!

Thanks in advance

Graham

RB182cup&golf gti

both cup packs are a must and yeah you need to see a doc! i got the stripes wasnt sure at first but love em now, real head turner

its racing blue by the way, and the stripes are competiton stripes.

you want cup spoliers and cup suspension

you got a pic of the evo

i had a mk2 172 for 2 & 1/2 years and put 27k miles on it and i now have a 182 which ive put 2.5k miles on so far and i personally along with a few others on here who have changed would say it is definately a noticable improvement.
cup options are the spoiler pack (bigger rear spoiler and a black splitter on the front bumper) and the handling pack (different suspension and wheels/tyres) i would say at very least get the cup suspension pack as it will probably be easier to sell on as a result plus its seen as a must have. I personally would get the spoilers too. they dont hold their value second hand that well but they are so much fun it more than makes up for it. The racing blue needs to be seen in the flesh to make your mind up.
Welcome to the club BTW.

Lee

BMW M2C

Welcome to Cliosport.

I swapped from a 172 to a 182 and was very impressed with the improvements Renault have made.

There are 2 Cup packs. The spoiler and splitter pack which you can see above. Thats the slightly larger rear spoiler and little black strip on the front bumper.

The other Cup pack is the suspension pack, this is slightly lower, stiffer springs, increase in castor, and anthracite alloys. Well worth the money IMO.

They depreciate badly!!! But there are some good deals about if you look hard and push the dealers.

Lee

BTW, loads of pictures of mine in action on my website. http://www.leemather.plus.comClicky

Vee dub

Blimey that 182 really is absolute class

Good luck with your choice mate, go for the cup/or cup packs!

Tom

Quote: Originally posted by benclelland on 26 January 2005

Arent they Gordini stripes?
from renault site

Cup Suspension Pack - lower ride height, stiffer springs and dampers, stiffer tyre sidewalls, anthracite coloured wheels and revised steering geometry

£200.00

Cup Spoiler Pack - additional lower front spoiler, enlarged rear spoiler
£150.00

Satellite Navigation - full colour screen & mapping function (not with Cup Spoiler Pack)
£1,500.00

Metallic Paint
£325.00

i.d. Paint
£1,150.00

Competition Stripes (with Racing Blue)
£295.00

6xCD Multi-changer
£300.00

Pre-telephone Equipment
£100.00

I can get a pic of the Evo, but it looks like an Evo (the gray one thats been on Top Gear a coupla times)! Its 7 months old, done 9k miles. Its an MR FQ 320/340. IE it is the 320 with the 340 ECU upgrade (dealer fitted). Thus its the same as the 340 just without leather seats and sat nav (neither of which are a must for me). It was about 32k new and Ill be putting it up at 25 or close! Its a standard car, been looked after, in good nick.

Someones gonna ask why I am selling it! So here goes...the majority of my miles are commuting journeys with some motorway and whilst its a brilliantly capable car, it never gets to show its capabilities. I wont use it as a track car (where it would really come into its own) as I have other toys for that. So I am looking to liberate some cash to upgrade my track toy capability (thats going from a caterham to a radical).

Your car looks nice! Is it for sale?

Graham

its not really for sale, but im known to to daft things like nip and out to fetch bread and come back with a new car LOL

Vee dub

Graham i drove an FQ340 and they are brilliant, brutal but brilliant!

But somehow i doubt yoll be dissapointed with the 182, they sound so much fun.

I want that car 182blue! lol

Tom

Yep, I hope not to be dissapointed too! I have been sneaking a drive in the latest addition to the fleet...an S1 Pug 106 Rallye (which I have to steel from the wimmin!) which is much more fun in my daily drive than the Evo!!

Thanks for all the hints guys. You should hear more from me!!
Graham

Vee dub

mmmmm, love that 182. Keep it mint!

Id love to drive a 106 rallye, how different to a valver??

dunno, never driven a valver, btw, wots a valver? The Pug is great. Its got 100 bhp (well it would if it hadnt done 107k miles!) and the engine just sings! The car handles brilliantly. Should get it on track sometime soon to see how it is there too.

I will of course join if I get a 182.

LY 200

Dunno about them, how they drive etc!!!

All id say though is INFERNO is the only colour to go for at the mo!!!

Racings nice too though!!!;)

Well, I went for the test drive, bit of a waste of space that! Didnt get out of 3rd gear and above 28mph! Anyway, it was good, so Im on the buying trail. I have posted a wanted (along with my evo fs).

Any hints on how to get the bext price out of a dealer (if I have to go that route) for new or 2nd hand?

My local dealer has a new cup just in, but I really dont want to go down the depreciation route!

BTW if anyone does want to sell me their 182 plus cup packs or 182 cup, I wont be needing to sell the evo first, so am a cash buyer!

Thanks

Graham

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

youll need to give the 182 a bit of stick before buying matey... just to be sure you like it!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Graham, first off, can I just say that its good to see someone who has the cash and buying ability for an Evo 8, considering a 182.

Personally, I would donate half of my anatomy to medical research if it meant I could afford an Evo. Ive been an avid follower of the Evos since the Mk.4 (not sure why in particular, but that was the first version that really caught my eye) and would love a stripped out Evo VI RS-Sprint version. The Evo, in my mind, would only be pushed aside by one car if I had the dosh - a concours Porsche 959!

To be honest, with such a class car to start off with, you may not notice the WOW factor of the handling with the 182. I had a Punto GT before and anything handles better than that around the corners. The 182 just brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it and with mine coming up to the 2,000 mile mark, its loosening up nicely - especially on the gearchange, which had a sticky 5th when I first got it.

I suppose the biggest compliment I can give the 182 is when I took the MD out in it. He owns a fettled 911 Turbo with around 480bhp and thought the 182 handled brilliantly. I suppose the 911 is that good a car, that you really, really have to act stupid in it for things to go really bad - theres always a safety net there. The 182 gives you plenty of notice when its happy, ok or not too sure about the inputs youre giving it. It will probably save you a fortune in petrol and insurance over the Evo too!

Best of luck m8 - to give you some idea of pricing, I got a black gold 182 with the additional Cup packs for £12,200 from Lloyds-TSB CarSelect. Some people have got them cheaper, but the service and price were both more than reasonable.

Have you got a piccie of the Evo, please?! :)

D.