ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Looking For a 172 Cup!!

172 Cup
Hello All,

Decided To Join Up Here to get some more info about a 172 cup & Other Renaultsport 172/182's in General.

I currently have an 8L Audi S3 and it's costing me an arm and a leg so i need to part with it and get something cheaper and preferably normally apsirated!

The S3 is remapped so pushing around 260bhp!!

I used to own (and proudly at that!) a 306 GTI-6 & a Rallye and they're also in my budget of around 3.5k.
I've changed cars constantly from passing my test 7 years ago and had A Saxo VTR,Saxo Vts,Fabia Vrs,Golf mk4 1.8t 180bhp,Bmw 320 & now the current S3.

I actually had the saxo vts and remapped Fabia vrs at the same time,the latter been used by my partner at the time :rolleyes:!!!

But i need something cheaper,fun and to bring me back down to earth abit along the lines of what the 2 306's did years ago!!

The saxo was nippy but i never felt safe in it tbh, not to mention the amount of people who wanted to "race" me.

I had a young un' 3 years ago so went for the Fabia vrs and more grown up cars since then on.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what i'd expect performance wise going from the remapped s3 to the 172 cup?,and how would the 172 cup compare to the likes of my old 306 rallye?

Lionel Richie
if you can drive a cup properly, depending on which track, i would (flame suit on) say the cup would take your audi, twisties and a cup = winner winner, full chicken dinner (yes a williams will have the pair of them, just for you 9lives ;))

do not under estimate the cup though, no ABS, no toys, tin can with a big engine, hundreds have been written off and several people killed (not joking) alot of insurance companies now won't touch them

it IS the fastest modern day RS clio point to point and in a straight line, but it is also the most dangerous

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
But not as fast a Williams :) but that's even more dangerous ;)

RS 172+
I think you will find an RS great fun to drive... I know I do. Not much to match the thrill of whipping around bends on a de-restricted B road - just what, IMHO, the car was made for.

If it's cheap thrills and fun you are after, go for it!

MCS R56
What Fred said. They are awesome fun, if you are looking for that raw hot hatch experience.

As far as dangerous - I would say that's down to the driver.

Insurance shouldn't be too bad, as you are apparently not 21 anymore. Mine was £200 fully comp at age 30.

Do it!

C

Cupster

What Fred said. They are awesome fun, if you are looking for that raw hot hatch experience.

As far as dangerous - I would say that's down to the driver.

Insurance shouldn't be too bad, as you are apparently not 21 anymore. Mine was £200 fully comp at age 30.

Do it!

How the, and, where the fcuk???

Just keep in mind that there is no magic computers that apparently stops you crashing in the cup, lol

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
I used to own a Skip Brown'd 205 GTi and my 172 Cup is the only hot hatch I've owned since that comes close of replicating the feel of an old-skool hot hatch.

It's just like a 205, but without the drawbacks: It's built properly, the gear linkage isn't made of spaghetti and it's not quite as twitchy in the wet.

RE the 306 GTi-6. A mate of mine sold his and bought a 58 plate Civic Type-R, but now wants to go back to the GTi-6. Some people just prefer old-skool hot hatches, myself included. I don't want comfort and lots of kit, I just want something to put a smile on my face and the Cup does that.

Get one!

MCS R56
How the, and, where the fcuk???

Just keep in mind that there is no magic computers that apparently stops you crashing in the cup, lol

No idea how, but it was with Admiral. £7 cheaper on the BMW! That's with a £100 vol excess. Only thing I didn't go for was the breakdown cover.

Yeah, the driver needs to drive the Cup! Amazing car and well worth the money. I'd have another one.