ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie question on performance brands

182 FF
Hey guys

Iv had mainly jap cars in the past so all iv ever known is HKS, APEXI, BLITZ, SPOON and so on but when it comes to french cars im like :S

Being new to the clio scene I was wondering when it comes to Induction kits what's the preferred brands to go for?
Also any suggestions on what make of exhaust to go for which isnt going to be buzzing in my ears on a long spin!

cheers dudes

big boost cup
you will get millions of opinions for the best induction kit. and the same for the exhaust. imo i would go for the new Ktec air filter. and a yozza/ktec system

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
If you want an open filter then get the new ktec kit. Want an OEM 'upgrade' then go for the V6/ph1 airbox.
As for the exhaust I loved my yozza race, but it may be a bit loud for some. The ktec stealth I had wasn't too bad either

182 FF
Cheers tom! good just to hear some of the brands so I know what to start looking for lol I take it you have the above on yours?

PB Clio 172
Like someone said its a can of worms this

we all have our own makes and types of things that we swear but don't agree on

If this helps I have a Powertec induction kit on mine from k tec and a standard exhaust- both of which I couldn't be happier with :approve:

182 FF
Thanks james! yeah open filter I fancy but my mate on here advises to keep an airbox with an upgraded panel filter, a bit more sound I want really from the front end on the 5K kick :D I'll take a look at those Ktec systems then, Loud stuff isnt for me any more lol had to drive an integra 2 hours home with a full sport exhaust and It drove me nuts lol was epic fun for half an hour but after that my ears were chewed

182 FF
Thanks plymcl172
, its good for me to hear the names and opinions people have on the stuff, I want to do a pile of nerding up first before I buy anything so ill be hammering the forum with these names and youtube for some vids

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Thanks james! yeah open filter I fancy but my mate on here advises to keep an airbox with an upgraded panel filter, a bit more sound I want really from the front end on the 5K kick :D I'll take a look at those Ktec systems then, Loud stuff isnt for me any more lol had to drive an integra 2 hours home with a full sport exhaust and It drove me nuts lol was epic fun for half an hour but after that my ears were chewed

Read up about the v6 airbox then mate. Gives a bit more sound than standard, and keeps an OEM look

I'm running a decatted Milltek & a Green Panel Filter on a 182 and get barely any noise and pretty much zero drone on the motorway @ 80MPH.

Nice and raspy when you kick it's head in, but more subtle than the Yozza's.

182 FF
Cheers ade, did you have any lights coming on when you put the decat on? Have you noticed much in throttle response / power gain with all three mods? I'll be sinking some ££ in to the same setup as you in dec/jan

Anyone have any opinions on the BMC induction kits? I looked at the V6 airbox and I don't fancy having to relocate the battery

Evo 8 MR
Cheers ade, did you have any lights coming on when you put the decat on? Have you noticed much in throttle response / power gain with all three mods? I'll be sinking some ££ in to the same setup as you in dec/jan

Anyone have any opinions on the BMC induction kits? I looked at the V6 airbox and I don't fancy having to relocate the battery

You don't have to re-locate the battery, ph1's had these airboxes as standard.

Decat frees things up a bit but doesn't give much if any power gain.

Lights on the dash are easily avoided.

Best bang for buck engine mod is an rstuner.

182 FF
Ah right! That's good then reading up and people were on about moving the battery so happy days! I hear about the RStuner, where do you get it done? Am I right in saying you dont get a gain in BHP as such just a better power band ?

big boost cup
Ah right! That's good then reading up and people were on about moving the battery so happy days! I hear about the RStuner, where do you get it done? Am I right in saying you dont get a gain in BHP as such just a better power band ?

Its in theory DIY mapping for the rs tuner check the for sale section

When I bought my Clio it already had the Milltek cat-back system & panel filter.

Never noticed any difference whatsoever after I had the decat installed other than it rasp'd more and was a lot louder. I've still got the centre silencer in mine aswell.

Done about 3,000 miles with the decat and have no lights on the dash, although I hear it is hit & miss whether you will get an emission light or not.

182 FF
Maybe I'll leave a decat then if it does nothing ... But saying that iv seen them for like £80 so I guess I may as well in that case lol! I'll be leaving the centre silencer in too, starting to wish I'd chosen a car with a few bits done to it now lol too quiet at the moment, can't wait to get a nice note off it! My mate has a miltek too, sounds nice! Best of all it gets rid of those pea shooter standard pipes lol

182 FF
Oh yeah hah! Well I been getting some info off the dudes above and been checking out vids and prices ready :D looking at sorting something out in jan so I can pay a lump off this car and the cost of the wasted cambelt on the evo lol tamping!
Ill trade you my pea shooters for your broken miltek + a fiver ;)

The Milltek system with a decat is a fairly quiet system when compared to Bryera's decatted Yozza race system on his 172 Cup. Thats over-the-top loud. I wouldn't remove my decat (apart from when sending it for MOT) as I honestly believe the decat lets the rest of the system sing.

With a cat it sounded just like any other car with an uprated cat-back exhaust. The decat lets it give off a noise that turns heads. 2.6K-3K it makes a really hollow sounding noise that I just can't get enough of before the rasp begins to build up.

If you go for a Milltek cat-back then be warned you will need to run a Milltek decat pipe aswell. But you can get the Milltek decat pipes for £50 off eBay so its not like you have broke the bank if you decide you don't like the noise the decat makes.

182 FF
Sounds awesome haha! Decat all the way then! Like you said, I can always stick the cat back on, lucky I know of a garage which are cool with emissions during an MOT :D I'll be ok for a while as its up next month and jan I'll be looking at getting a system (can't wait it's killing me lol)

Say I'm unlucky enough to get an emissions light pop I take it just means a trip to a local Renault dealer to switch it off?