ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Golf GTD Mk7
Hi guys,

I'm looking at purchasing a digital SLR as i'm wanted to get back into photography. Used to use the old film SLR's for my college course, but not got a clue about the new digital ones. I want it for general use, and racing shots.

Price range i'm looking at is no more than £300.

I'd get a second hand one so long as the condition is mint.

New wise, i've been looking at the Nikon D40

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KJQ1DG/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Jonny

I got a D60 a week or so ago and would highly recommend it mate, very easy to get started even for someone like me who'd never touched a DSLR before!

new they may be slightly out your price range but definately worth looking out for good 2nd hand example.

Golf GTD Mk7
I wouldn't bother with a D60.

Get yourself a D40 and put the extra towards another lens.

Is the standard lense ok with this camera mate? What lense would you recommend. Like I've said it's mainly for motorsport shots and scenery. Maybe a few cheeky clio pics too ;)

Standard lens is fine to start with. See how you get on with it and what you're taking pics of etc. If you find you want wider/longer or whatever.

Other lenses to consider..

Sigma 10-20mm - £400ish
Sigma 70-300 - £150ish
Nikon 50mm f1.8 - £90ish

Nikon D700
10 - 20mm is wider yeah?

whats the difference with the f1.8?

10-20 is about as wide as most people will need...
f1.8 refers to the aperture, the lower the number, the more light the lens lets in. this creates a monsterously amazing depth of field.
f1.8 is about as low as most go, usually with the 50mm.

Golf GTD Mk7
thanks. need to relearn all this stuff.

Presumably for the D40 you'll need to buy lenses with built in AF?