ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie!!!

172 cup
So Im new to detailing, normally dont even wash the cup just take it to the car wash.

I want it to look mint for FCS and at the moment its covered in swirls.

Just wondered how to acheive this on a budget. I have some meggy stuff already wax and wheel spray so im after something that will get the swirls out really

330i. E30 Touring.
Get it PC'd by someone who knows what they're doing, then keep on top of it yourself.

With £25-50's worth of bits from Halfords (which you buy over time if needed), you can keep it looking mint.

172 cup
Get it PC'd by someone who knows what they're doing, then keep on top of it yourself.

With £25-50's worth of bits from Halfords (which you buy over time if needed), you can keep it looking mint.

I didnt want to have to pay someone to PC it, its not cheap and I cant afford it before FCS really, plus if im paying all that Id rather just use that cash to buy some stuff and have a go myself. The swirls are really bad so even if I could manage to take the edge off id be happy

Clio MK 4
wash with some decent car shampoo like duragloss 901 and once you dried it get some polish (AG SRP) and then a sealant like (AG EGP) or some chemical guys blitz spray (easier to use) and then get some wax on it. If you can be bothered you could even clay it before the polish stage.

Hyundai i40
wash with some decent car shampoo like duragloss 901 and once you dried it get some polish (AG SRP) and then a sealant like (AG EGP) or some chemical guys blitz spray (easier to use) and then get some wax on it. If you can be bothered you could even clay it before the polish stage.

i agree with Chris

there isnt an awful lot you can do without PCing it and stop putting it through the car wash as that will cause more swirls

Bumder With A Buffer
Super resin polish will be your best bet.

Wont do much correction work but will help fill/hide the swirls.

Id stay away from Autoglym EGP and buy the Chemical guys blitz stuff. Mainly because of the time it takes to leave on. You dont wanna leave that on out in the sun for ages and have a birdy go poo, poo :)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/chemical-guys-blitz-spray-sealant/prod_227.html

Wont get that off the shelf anywhere though.

My advice would be buy this lot

For applying polish and might help with a "very little" bit of correction (probably wont but)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/accessories/ultimate-german-applicator/prod_280.html

Blitz as your sealant

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/chemical-guys-blitz-spray-sealant/prod_227.html

Only other thing id get would some decent microfibre cloths

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/microfibre-cloths/eurow-shag-pile-double-density-towels/prod_436.html

What wax you got already?? Id recommend "nattys Blue paste wax" from the above. Cheap and very easy to apply.

172 cup
Woah, a lot there.

I have Meggys wax at the moment its in a purple bottle, might try having a go at the weekend to see if I can get more out

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
A polish full of fillers is what you need to disguise the swirls. Only way to remove them is via a machine.

Car wash - Use anything, you don't seem to be too serious about it anyway and as your on a budget i'm trying to keep it to the basics.

Polish get some Autoglym super resin polish
Wax get some collinite 472 or just use your meguires wax.
Sealent get some Extra Gloss Protection.

Then all you need to do is spend hours getting it sorted. I wouldn't bother claying it without a machine as you will more than likely induce marring.

172 cup
Can anyone just lend me a machine LOL.

Ok luke, I think im gunna get some stuff youve suggested at the weekend

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You can lend my machine but the car will probably end up looking worse than when you first started it with your skills.:p

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Wax wise it doesn't last as long as collonite but beads just as well and smells really nice.
Its also a piece of piss to apply, where as with collonite I have always found it a real effort to remove, no matter how thin you apply it.

Polish wise I have only ever used Lime Prime and IMO its awesome. Use it on its own to prep the paint for wax (which is why you would use it). Also use it via machine to get minimal cut but remove quiet a bit of crap.

When that fails you can use it along side abrahsive polishes to increase play time. Worth having IMO if you are getting into it seriously.

If i was you however I would just stick to the basic AG products until you can afford to get into it properly (as imo once you start you will need deep pockets as its quiet addictive lol)

Black Clio GT
if you hant machine polished a car before then i wouldnt recomend jumping in the deep end, get some wings from the scrap yard to practice on first.....

you can get some decent results from off the shelf stuff and build up the polish layers will help with swirls before you seal it.

get yourself two buckets £2
noodle wash mit £8
couple of applicator pads £5
drying towl £5
some ag/meg gold class shampoo £10
ag super resin polish £10
ag gloss protection£10/ the nxt liqid wax i think you alrady have.
couple of micro fibre cloths £5

so theres £50 to start off with then maybe think about a clay bar kit and get someone to machine polish it for you when you have the dosh....

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
A polish full of fillers is what you need to disguise the swirls. Only way to remove them is via a machine.

Car wash - Use anything, you don't seem to be too serious about it anyway and as your on a budget i'm trying to keep it to the basics.

Polish get some Autoglym super resin polish
Wax get some collinite 472 or just use your meguires wax.
Sealent get some Extra Gloss Protection.

Then all you need to do is spend hours getting it sorted. I wouldn't bother claying it without a machine as you will more than likely induce marring.

If you try to use EGP sealent over Collinites, it wont bond. Top the Collinites over the EGP :)

My ten pence, SRP and EGP is all you'll need on a Cup. Works very well on the Mondial.

My old one,

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

Last edited: