ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newcomer advice please

Hello all,

Just to briefly introduce myself my name is Jon i am soon to be 19, from nottingham and i have just signed up becuase i am thinking of buying a 172 in a couple of months and want be able to talk the talk before i walk the walk so to speak.

I currently have a 2000 Golf GT TDI 150 and will be selling this when the insurance runs out and i want something differant, hence looking at 172's,

I am really interested in a phase 1 i think ? the earliest shape 172 (with the rounded headlamps) on a Y plate, so one of the last.

What i would like to know is what do i have to be sure to look out for when viewing and driving the cars and what extra costs may there be if/when i get one ?

Should i buy one i will be servicing it fully and fitting a new cambelt just for my own piece of mind as i tend not to trust anyone but myself on my own vehicle, i am a fully trained tech by trade so am not scared of getting involved.

My aim is to get a relatively standard car and add a few of my own touches just to enhance it but without going to far, i am thinking upgrade the brakes to grooved high carbon discs, ferodo ds25's, S/S brake hoses, S/S exhaust system which i will probably custom build myself, an induction kit which again i will build up myself to save money and possibly a suspension upgrade but i dont know if i want to shell out for coilovers, oh and good tyres.

I aim to do some track days and currently do sprints and hillclimbs in a 106 gti so i would like it to be a fast road and track vehicle but still work as a daily driver.

I hope i have come across ok, i know its a long thread but lets get off to a good start,

Many thanks

Jonny :)

welcome chap , i think you covered the main mods of everyone really , but yes good service history and cambelt change seems to be a must , defo good mechanically minded ppl on here , also recommend the cleaning guru's too , so get a decent car and the ppl on here can point you in the right direction ...

good luck and enjoy , you will feel a little quicker than your golf :D

RenaultSport 197
How do you get insurance mate? I struggle to get insured on a 1.4 and Ive got guys younger then me driving these big cars around and im like WTF!?

Is it your dads insurance or something?

.. Ok so I stacked my last car in a field, but that doesn't make it as harsh as getting points on yer licence under 25!!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome.

Save money on the suspension...for trackdays a standard set-up is fine.

As you stated, brakes and tyres upgrades are where it's at along with some light breathing mods, that should see it capable of hanging onto the back of all but the most exclusive exotica :evil:

That's exactly what I've done to mine...numerous trackdays/sprints and a daily driver too - 77k miles in just over 3 years :)

Ph1 172
Just make sure it has a good history and don't pay over the odds mine was well overpriced but it was the only one close to home at the time. I came from a 106 1.6 rallye to buy this car and it has not disapointed!

Thanks for the welcomes guys, just quickly can someone confirm that these cars are fairly reliable ?, someone at work said they are good but break down alot ??? i have never heard this myself TBH

Insurance wise i am covered on a trade policy that allows anything upto a 2.0 N/A at my age,

I have looked around and i am hoping to pay a max of 3.5k for a nice one with good milage, i could well be lucky and find one in the trade for less though although its uncommon with cars like these.

Another one, how difficult is it to change the cambelt ? As i say i am a tech by trade so dont mind doing it myself, just curious

Thanks

Jonny

Thanks for the welcomes guys, just quickly can someone confirm that these cars are fairly reliable ?, someone at work said they are good but break down alot ??? i have never heard this myself TBH

Another one, how difficult is it to change the cambelt ? As i say i am a tech by trade so dont mind doing it myself, just curious

There a pain to do big engine small bay 5.1 hours work.

Make sure you have the correct tools to do it.

They are reliable just electrics etc can often be problem coil packs etc. There very good though realy compared with laods of other supposed good reliable cars.