ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nexus 7

German V6
starting from 159 thats a bargin for a quad core as well , will fit in just fine with my galaxy nexus :D

Apple won't need to worry, it's Amazon who will be. The thing Amazon has going for it with the fire is the kindle brand and the well known sites and stores selling it.

Also announced was that Nexus Q which is seemingly the most overpriced (and almost useless) gadget ever made.

LY 182
Looks really smart I must admit.

For the price you can't really go wrong there. Looks a good size for reading books and browsing the web should be pretty quick.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I want one. Already spent a s**t load of money in the Google store because of my HTC phones.

Only 16gig though :/

Even my BlackBerry Playbook has 64! (Though it did cost the company a small fortune)

LY 182
Looking forward to seeing some comparisons against the iPad.

At the price it's obviously more of a rival to say the Kindle, but wouldn't this do most things the iPad does?

I assume the iPad has better hardware, is obviously bigger and has loads more stuff to warrant the price difference?

It's not going to compare well with the iPad, but it's not intended to.

It's attempting to latch onto where the Fire is actually selling.

LY 182
I know it won't be considered a direct rival, but at the same time won't it do the majority of what an iPad does?

(No digs intended at the iPad here, I'm an Apple guy, just curious).

Well it doesn't have the power, the software, the screen or range of apps.

So not really, no.

It's also a lot smaller.

It's like saying that a Fiesta does most of the same things that a Ferrari does.

But it does mean that nobody is going to buy any of those other really cheap horrible tablets that are around that price. Good ol Google. Just killed a load of people that use the same software and have backed them.

I'm hoping they bring a 10" out, for the pure fact I want an SD slot and HDMI-out (of some sort), then I'd replace my Xoom with one.

Very nice specs for the money though regardless of how you look at it!

LY 182
Well it doesn't have the power, the software, the screen or range of apps.

So not really, no.

It's also a lot smaller.

It's like saying that a Fiesta does most of the same things that a Ferrari does.

But it does mean that nobody is going to buy any of those other really cheap horrible tablets that are around that price. Good ol Google. Just killed a load of people that use the same software and have backed them.

Makes sense.

Think I'd rather save for the iPad myself. These look good but makes sense to get an iPad to compliment my other Mac devices.

306 GTI-6
Does an ipad actually compliment othet mac products in any way other than being from the same manufacturer?

I always thought ipad connectivity options were limited to say the least?

Yes, with iCloud etc. If I buy a song/app/film/book on my iPhone/iMac/iPad it appears on the others automatically.

All my contacts/bookmarks/notes sync between all devices.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I want one. Already spent a s**t load of money in the Google store because of my HTC phones.

Only 16gig though :/

Even my BlackBerry Playbook has 64! (Though it did cost the company a small fortune)

didn't the playbook have 16, 32 and 64Gb options at different prices?

iPad comparisons are pretty irrelevent really as this is 1/3 the physical size. I don't think it will do much to that market, but it's going to destroy the smaller brands and probably force a few of the bigger brands to rethink pricing

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I've been looking at these too - I held off buying an e-reader because I had the Galaxy S3 on order but after a few weeks the screen is just a touuuuuuuch to small for long term reading.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
If apple brought out a 7 or 8 inch then the competition would be fierce between the 2. But they won't. So it won't be.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
didn't the playbook have 16, 32 and 64Gb options at different prices?

iPad comparisons are pretty irrelevent really as this is 1/3 the physical size. I don't think it will do much to that market, but it's going to destroy the smaller brands and probably force a few of the bigger brands to rethink pricing

Yup. 64 gig is ridiculously expensive too :eek:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty tempted to treat myself for my birthday with on of these. Quite interested to see what Jellybean will actually bring too.

(I thought apple were bringing out a 7inch device? Surely that would be the main rival and not the ipad?)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I doubt apple will move to strike.

You'd harm the experience with another form factor.

Wouldnt surprise me if the 7" iPad rumours came from the ordering and assembly of this device. Large amounts of parts tend to be linked with Apple

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I doubt apple will move to strike.

You'd harm the experience with another form factor.

Wouldnt surprise me if the 7" iPad rumours came from the ordering and assembly of this device. Large amounts of parts tend to be linked with Apple

Possibly. It was a few weeks ago that I heard something from a guy in work who loves Apple. He thinks one will be released in time for Christmas. Don't Samsung have something to do with the Apple screens or did I hear that wrong?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Depends, Apple have a lot of suppliers.

One of them is Samsung.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly. It was a few weeks ago that I heard something from a guy in work who loves Apple. He thinks one will be released in time for Christmas. Don't Samsung have something to do with the Apple screens or did I hear that wrong?

Yep, Samsung make the iPad screens. Samsung supply most of the tech manufacturers with screens tbf

but it's going to destroy the smaller brands and probably force a few of the bigger brands to rethink pricing

100%.

Sony, Samsung, Acer, HTC etc must be pretty pissed right now. Even Motorola that Google now own.

You say rethink pricing? They've obviously sold at whatever RRP for a reason. Costs + Margin = RRP.

Google can sell for no-profit because they don't really care about hardware. They'll make money back via apps/movies etc and via AdWords which is why they give away Android to everyone. More units = More eyes = More ads. Ads is their business so it makes sense to drive that.

But what do the others have? They don't have that choice. If Sony makes a tablet tomorrow that's as good as the Nexus7 and ships it at $199 they won't make any money unless it's a piece of s**t, in which case nobody will buy it anyway. Lol.

The Fire is pretty dire anyway but at least Amazon have a way of making money by selling things in their store. Nobody else has that option. They might as well just give up now.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Seems great for the price!

Too small for what I need one for though... and it's missing a lot of what I'm used to.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Like iOS?

Anyway, looks good fair play. Just shows you what needs to be done to get close to Apple.

Temped to get one of these simply because I want something for the internet use whilst working or out of the house.

I would go for the iPad if there was more money spare, anyone else thinking of buying one?

German V6
Next pay day i'm ordering one of these! Wanted a tablet for a while just been waiting for a decently priced one and good spec.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'm not disappointed with my Aurora II, especially now the bugs are getting ironed out after a week or so of messing about, the hardware spec is still marginally better than this nexus. I'll watch these closely though and see what they're like, i'm sure it'll be fully functioning out the box which is a big plus point over a lot of cheaper android devices.

For the 16gb at £199 it is tempting, at the end of the day if its terrible... thats what Ebay is for ;)

Shame about the lack of SD card slot though.