ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nicks Turbo.

Yes there has been a few other turbo conversions out for the good old valver but none that i really could say that i would be happy with ploughing all that money into, and yes im not going to get half my money back on resale but hey i wont be selling it not now and yes things may go i.e drive shafts but they will be replaced with the best if they go ;) go on Carlos you know you want to take your williams down to BB and have it done, speak to you later Matt.

williams and trophy

hehe nick mate wot can i say???

but by my reckoning in our personal league.............. the scores 2-1 in my favour, with 2 of your runs on the gas and all 3 of mine with same mods.

if you dont beat me convincingly with the turbo i reckon u shud let me av it n take good care of it for you ;)

how did you go on with your idea of welding the sunroof up btw?

Revels Mum & Sister

I got the BB Catalogue today, Looking at the Expected Power figures

250BHP Per Tonne

240 ib/Ft Per Ton

Yes please yummy yummy. HEhe cant wait to see Nicks or anyone else who has it done in action!!!

Clio v6

Like many of us, I too am keen to see Nicks car back on the road. With the turbo, and I trust Nick will give us reliability updates.

My ignorance on the subject naturally leads me to feeling quite skeptical (splg) However Im sure BB are a good company and wouldnt push a load of crap on customers. If the Clio came from the factory including turbo, most of us wouldnt blink. For all I know BB might even be the suppliers to Renault ( someone would be )

More updatres please Nick. Thanks

LOL Jon if I dont take AT LEAST a second off your 14.8 run you can have the whole car, log book and all. Actually Im crossing my fingers just in case I get a flat tyre or something so the bets off.

But anyway it may be 2-1 in terms of separate runs, but in quarter miling you live by your best run mate, thats what youve got to keep in mind. And clean16v, it dont matter how you achieve your time on the dragstrip, if you can make your car fast, however you go about it, then thats all there is to it. Running on nitrous I was banging in 14-and-a-half second times all day long, so its consistent power - but you are very much mistaken if you are one of the crowd who thinks that its just a half hour job setting up and running a reliable nitrous system day in day out. Try installing and using nitrous oxide on your own motor then come and tell me what you think - the effort you need to go to to get it spot on, and to meter and deliver it perfectly for a quarter mile run, makes it all the more irritating when people say its cheating.

Dash as soon as its ready Ill meet you and well go for a burn up and down the new 130 mate!

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by Nick on 21 February 2003

Dash as soon as its ready Ill meet you and well go for a burn up and down the new 130 mate!
Cheers Nick. I havent been on the 130 yet, so please dont race off and leave me , You know I like being behind you.

hehe you should give it a go mate. Some lovely sweeping bends and up and down bits especially where you go under the pylons really close. Chris at Carnoisseur was racing a Ferrari down there in his Cossie last week.

williams and trophy

yeah nick im not taking anything away from your 14.48 run at all mate but it took a long time and a lot of fukkin about for you to get from ur previous runs of 15.9 and18.0 runs against me , to that ,and respect is due for that.

and i should hope for a second over me after the turbo if not more with all the lightening and evrything ur doin too..................... but wen the bodies finally emerge i reckon theyll give u a real run for the money, and still be n/a which is the way i want to go

and as for the log book.... u aint gettin mine lol but id be only too happy to look after yours for a bit hehe

nick, i never said it was cheating, i know exactly the effort needed to set up reliable nitrous as this was a route i was seriously considering. all i am saying is that it is unfair to compare an N/A car to one on nitrous, they are in different leagues. they fall into different classes.

Whats all this serious nitrous talk.....???

im only running 50bhp, admittedly not 100bhp.......but it wasnt hard to setup and it want hard to tune in. And it still providing me with reliable power on teh same setup. ad its on an engine thats almost 50 yrs old!!!!

Nitrous isnt cheapting, but it is easy power.....which is GOOD.

But, no matter what anybody says.....NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING beats a NA motor that its trying to rip itself apart.

Turbos are great, good power, great torque........but in my opinion (and you know what that is nick lol) its a lazy drive.....i like rpm and like working for it. Oh, and must add i really dont like bus valves....oh, sorry dump valves.

lol......;)

BMW 320d Sport

LOL heres another Nick - both are me though. I just reformatted my computer which I do every 6 months or so just to get it running nice and fast again. Only problem was I lost all my cookies and logins and passwords, the lot. Hence the new login.

I think the best way to settle this one will be as dash said, once mines on the road, Ill be posting regular updates on it, but at this stage Im certain its gonna be a solid conversion. If I didnt think so I wouldnt do it.

Anyway, regarding turbo vs NA power...a lot of you remember when I first blew the thing up and was thinking of all kinds of crazy schemes as the next stage of Clio power, something to better my times from this year. Id pretty much decided on a fully rebuilt, lightened and balanced bottom end, a pair of 285 Willy cams (as far as I could go without resorting to solid lifters)in my already-worked 1.8 head with verniers, all running through Weber Alpha throttle bodies and management. Now I have no doubt this would have got me the power I wanted, but the more I thought about it the more a turbo made sense - instead of say a 185bhp peak at 7000-7500 revs and not a whacking great difference anywhere else in the revs , a turbo gives huge increases in torque AND power from low down and doesnt stop pulling all the way to the top of the revs. Now I cant speak for other kinds of turbos in other motors, but the readouts from BBs turbo F7P looked like the exact sort of power I wanted. To be honest I think youd have to be mental to want to stick to lumpy idling NA power *in a road car* when you could have something that will breeze through an MOT emissions test and idle like a factory valver one minute and then go out and run 0-60 in well under 6 seconds without even breaking a sweat.

Now Im not one to go on just graphs and hearsay, I try things out before commenting on them, and I have driven the BB turbo myself and it is quick - damn quick. I honestly cant see any downsides to the turbo, if you want big power you cant complain and say oh itll wear everything out quicker...if youre worried about that then get something slower. If you want to wait all day for the power at the top of the revs in a narrow band, and have to lug it the rest of the time, stirring the gearbox like youre rowing a boat, just to keep it on the boil, then thats your call - Ive done that for years and its fun but there comes a time when youve got to move onto the next thing. The only thing that is a bummer is the price. But then Ive always found that you really do get what you pay for. It was time to put a stop to piecemeal pocket money mods and get serious. :)

BMW 320d Sport

BTW Im not caning NA power you understand...its nice to really hammer a motor and the sound of an F7 lump screaming away at the kind of revs where most other hatches of the era would have thrown a rod, is an unforgettable sound. But considering I only have one decent car that I throw all my money and time at, that is used for everyday commuting to and from work, cruising, track days and last but definitely not least quarter miling, I need something flexible. If I could tune up the lump to say 200bhp and it was running a 2000 rpm idle just to stop it from stalling, I could just about live with that if I knew there was more to come. But that state of tune is getting close to the most you can practically get out of the F7 lump before its no longer streetable. With my turbo conversion running at 240bhp its not even gonna be getting started. Look at the world of the Cossies and Scoobies, the way you can tune those up to the nuts. I dont wanna find that Ive hit a power brick wall at 200bhp, Im thinking eventually of drag strip tune of 300bhp+. And I dont care if anyone thinks I cant run that through front wheel drive either!:p

damn straight!!!!

you get what you pay for!!! well said.

But a turbo is still lazy power...:p

gimmie a 10,000rpm arse of a motor anyday.

Well said Nick, not long now and i will have mine back (yes!) got to run it in though for a 1000 miles as the engine has been totally stripped down and all new componants added with gaskets etc well worth doing though, Matt.

williams and trophy

yeah nick i hear wot ur saying ................

but ....hehe

ur speaking in terms of 1800 power where we all know that that engine is dead under 4k

im comin from 2000 power which again as we all know starts picking up at 2500 rpm and redlines at 6500.

so the turbo route isnt the way to go for me because at 2500 rpm and again at 4500rpm its already like having a little turbo on now lol, imagine how itll be with t/bs easily get through emissions test would prob be more economical than it is now and produce more power all the way thru the rev range, not just at peak points, granted getting this spot on will take some serious r/r set ups but the end result i think will be worth it. like urself mine is a daily driver and needs to be practical too , but unlike you i have to leave the back seats in for the 2 baby seats etc lol(recaros of course)

jon

BMW 320d Sport

Well said Jon - anyway time will tell, me and you will definitely have to have it sometime this year up the quarter mile or perhaps Ill doss at Craggys again this year if hell have me, we can go for a cruise round Donny and see what the racings like...I wanna see what this motor of yours will do once its finished. When you think itll be ready mate?

williams and trophy

lol judgin by the amount of time its takin me to save for the shox its gunna be next year mate lol

at the mo ive got my sons b/day my mrs b/day tax test ins. 4 tyres n refurb wheels and a susp setup to sort b4 the end of the month lol