ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Night shots - Help

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hello, Was just wondering if anyone had any small tips or rough set ups for my Cannon 400D SLR. I'm in New York, And Not had the camera long, I've had a little play but the pics appear very dark on the preview screen, Despite looking awesome through the viewfinder, I cant get them on to the computer to check them, So was just wondering if anyone had any tips?

Thanks

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Pic of people - Get a bigger flash? :p

Pics of places - Use a tripod, long shutter speeds and a low iso. The little exposure meter in the viewfinder display is very useful ;)

VaVa
Tripod, remote or time delay firing of the shutter helps towards eliminating camera movement.

Honeslty stick it in manual or apeture priority (Av) and have a play. Remember what you see in the viewfinder gives you no indication of the images exposure.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Cheers Guys, Off to Times Square later tonight to have a play in AV mode.

Thing is i have left my tripod at home and I have mild cerebal palsy, So shake a little :(

Your probably under exposing, if your in Av, does the number flash at you, this would indicate that your not going to get proper exposure.

If your shooting hand held the best thing you can do is up the ISO to 800-1600, then use the lowest f/number available to you with partial metering providing your subject is central. If you can find something to rest the camera on and your shooting landscape and still objects then drop the ISO and experiment. If your images are to dark in AV something may be confusing the meter, in this case put the same settings into M and adjust as needed, say open the shutter longer for example.

If your willing to buy glass out there, (may not have a valid UK warranty) then something like the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or Canon 28mm f/1.8 could be ideal. On a tighter budget the 50mm f/1.8 II offers a large aperture for low light at a cheap price.