ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Night Shots - Tips ??

White Sti Hatch
Some one give me some tips on taking night shots or low light shots....Ive tryed taking a few in the likes of what id say are well lit tunnels at night but they always turn out dark as hell or blurry even with the flash, Im guessing a tri Pod is essential for these shots but what settings should i be looking to use ??

tripod and shutter priority, experiment with long shutter speeds to let more light in

I used a wall (as no tripod lol) and 25 seconds shutter.

Untitled-1-3.gif

Tripod is a must, and in most cases dont use flash.

Apperture priority and Tripod
f/3.5, 1.6 seconds, ISO100
Clio_II_by_StuMac1985.jpg

This was Apperture Priority aswell
F/3.5 1second ISO100
P_O_T_Y__II___Bridge_by_StuMac1985.jpg

This was one was shutter priority
5 seconds, f/8 iso100
flying_light_by_StuMac1985.jpg

White Sti Hatch
I upload some of the shots i took the other night that went wrong later....Anyone recommend a good Tripod to get then ?? as its a must

depends how much you want to spend, theres a lot of decent midrange tripods around the 50/60 price mark.

Cupra
I upload some of the shots i took the other night that went wrong later....Anyone recommend a good Tripod to get then ?? as its a must

It really depends on what camera/ lenses you will be using on it. A cheep one is fine for a lightweight bridge camera but not so good for an SLR.. my old Jessops one did a great job with my old Sony but shakes, wobbles and creaks as soon as my 40D gets anywhere near it.

imo for quality night shots you want to use Low ISO and large apertures and long exposure times, gives nicer results imo.

Think only I time i used a high iso I was shooting in almost complete darkness. ISO3200, F/1.4 and a 60 second exposure lol

lol, it was almost complete darkness. Was to see what results I could get, came out pretty well tbh, noisy obviously, but good, worked well in B&W

BMW E92/Audi S3
Do you have the pic now? To upload i mean? I find very dark shots a pain in the backside as i tend to kick the tripod..

get yourself a remote shutter release then ;)

Pretty sure that it was backed up before the laptop went tits up, will check later

Fiat Panda 100hp
get a remote. set up camera in pitch black looking at the sky.. open shutter, leave for 1/2hour come back and close shutter and you'll see the stars spin.

get a remote. set up camera in pitch black looking at the sky.. open shutter, leave for 1/2hour come back and close shutter and you'll see the stars spin.

not many cameras allow you to do 1/2hour exposures. So you have to do multiple 5 minute exposures and merge them, end result is excellent though

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i did a shoot in uni on top of a massive hill of stars with a large format camera i did a 2 hour exposure to get the light trails, but had to keep sliding the plate in the film because the lens kept freezing over!! made a good picture though...

These were my first attempts at night shots.. Just played with the shutter speed, nothing else. Was freezing aswell!

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

White Sti Hatch
My hands just arnt steady enough when its cold out to get good shots....One i took at night one turned out pritty good but i was using Twilight setting on my D60 for the bridge shots and tryed Shutter Pri on the tunnel....

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

I think its more i really need a Tripod.

LY 182 FF CUPPED
I have 2 Gitzo G1548's for sale if interested £250 each...probably the sturdiest Tripod made for everyday use.

1.8 Civic EX
gorilla pod is where it's at ;) awesome little things....

for my main tipod i use a £30 job from argos. fine with the kit lens, a bit dodge with my 70-300 on tho lol