ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

nikon d40...any views? £207 after £40 cash bak

Mustang, S13, AX GT
yep...
I have 1 and its my 1st SLR, its relatively easy to use and takes some great shots. Lots of functions to play with (I'm still learning new things everytime lol) and at the price is a bit of a bargain.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
i've been thinking about getting a slr, how easy are they to use? and how much better are they than a normal point and squirt 6megapixel?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Just got one for that with a few toys second hand, it's fantastic. Very chuffed.

Ian

Focus TDCi
i've been thinking about getting a slr, how easy are they to use? and how much better are they than a normal point and squirt 6megapixel?

Was just looking at one of these myself. I'm wondering if it's a worthy upgrade for a Fuji S5700, which is more of a bridge camera but does have a slightly greater pixel count? I don't think the pixels are used to as great effect though.

As far as I can tell the only downsides are that the camera body does not contain the motor, so Auto-Focus will only work if you buy a lens with a built in motor and they're not cheap. There is also a lack of Bracketing, only three Focus Points, lacks a Depth of Field preview screen and the manual isn't great. This is what I've read on review sites while I've been looking anyway, so don't take my word as gospel. Other than that it is an excellent camera, scoring around 9/10 consistently.

The Amazon bundle seems to be lacking a memory card (and the camera doesn't have onboard memory afaik) and camera case too, so bear that in mind.

I think personally I'm going to hold off 'til Christmas and see what's around then, still think I've got a seriously long way to go in terms of learning the ways of the photographer!

Mustang, S13, AX GT

Was just looking at one of these myself. I'm wondering if it's a worthy upgrade for a Fuji S5700, which is more of a bridge camera but does have a slightly greater pixel count? I don't think the pixels are used to as great effect though.

As far as I can tell the only downsides are that the camera body does not contain the motor, so Auto-Focus will only work if you buy a lens with a built in motor and they're not cheap. There is also a lack of Bracketing, only three Focus Points, lacks a Depth of Field preview screen and the manual isn't great. This is what I've read on review sites while I've been looking anyway, so don't take my word as gospel. Other than that it is an excellent camera, scoring around 9/10 consistently.

The Amazon bundle seems to be lacking a memory card (and the camera doesn't have onboard memory afaik) and camera case too, so bear that in mind.

I think personally I'm going to hold off 'til Christmas and see what's around then, still think I've got a seriously long way to go in terms of learning the ways of the photographer!
hmmm, the Nikon does lack focus points however the auto focus doesn't really matter so much as most Nikon and Sigma lenses are autofocus. I have an S5700 which for point and shoot photo's or generally non-complex photo's its brilliant, the zoom is very impressive on it which is great when you only have a 55mm lense for the SLR lol.
for example, I went to Rockingham earlier this year for the BTCC and took both camera's a couple of pics to compare:

S5700:
DSCF0812.jpg

Nikon:
DSC_0422.jpg

S5700 using optical zoom maxxed and some digital zoom:
DSCF0881.jpg

Nippy white cup
Hmmm that does look good...I had a quick go with a eos 450d and loved it. My cousin works for canon and can get me the camera with std lens for £400...is it really worth the extra over this one?

chris

Better than yours. C*nt.
If you don't know what you're doing, I'd say no. The D40 is an excellent platform for excellent money to start off with!

is dirty.
I'm a bit dull when it comes to all this. How does the camera take such good photos when it's only 6.1 megapixel. This is obviously down to the lenses yeah?
Also the photos above, like of the cat look absolutely immense, would I be able to take a similar photo to this with the standard package I would receive or was that done with a different lense etc.
Cheers.

I'm a bit dull when it comes to all this. How does the camera take such good photos when it's only 6.1 megapixel. This is obviously down to the lenses yeah?
Also the photos above, like of the cat look absolutely immense, would I be able to take a similar photo to this with the standard package I would receive or was that done with a different lense etc.
Cheers.

Because Mega pickles are a marketing tool, sensor size, pixel densities, noise handling and other boring factors affect the image much more, here's a boring read..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_single_lens_reflex_cameras

Megane Mk4
Cheers.

Because Mega pickles are a marketing tool, sensor size, pixel densities, noise handling and other boring factors affect the image much more, here's a boring read..

Mega pickles? Are they the big ones you get from the chip shop? ;) :p lol

Agreed though, MP size doesn't mean nothing, the cameras are only as good as the people using them. But it is a good stepping stone from point and shoot to the DSLR world for a beginner on a budget. Even though it's the baby Nikon DSLR, it quality is second to none when used right :approve:

is dirty.

Agreed though, MP size doesn't mean nothing, the cameras are only as good as the people using them. But it is a good stepping stone from point and shoot to the DSLR world for a beginner on a budget. Even though it's the baby Nikon DSLR, it quality is second to none when used right :approve:

Cheers guys, kind of understand more now. Will definately be getting a Nikon D40 seens as there's a lot of good reviews about it and it's something good to start off with. Also what type of lens would I need that takes a wide or long type photo. It's hard to explain what I mean but it focuses on the front and the rest is kind of stretched.

Cheers guys, kind of understand more now. Will definately be getting a Nikon D40 seens as there's a lot of good reviews about it and it's something good to start off with. Also what type of lens would I need that takes a wide or long type photo. It's hard to explain what I mean but it focuses on the front and the rest is kind of stretched.

Fisheye?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/fisheye/interesting/

Arctic blue 182ff
BUY IT!! im really happy with mine, is a great begginer dslr, producing brilliant pics!! and and that price...bargain! tbh

Yes!! Are these expensive add ons?

(I'm glad someone knew what I meant!)

You can buy cheap crap off eBay that screws onto the kit lens, then you can look at old Manual focus Russian fish eyes that will probably set you back 100+, then Sigma has some new HSM fish-eyes that will auto focus at 250+ and then the Tokina 10-17mm for 250+, all guestimates, not clued up on Nikon gear... Yes cameras are the cheap part in DSLR world :clown:

Ian

Focus TDCi
Good photos rednax, just shows what can be done with it. Even if I do get the D40 I'll definitely be keeping the S5700, it's a good camera. At £90 now too, you can't go wrong!

Clio on SL 2118s
looks a good buy.
was going to buy one not long back.
am i missing something about the £40 cash back?
wheres it say that?