ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D40

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Basically im looking at getting into photography and buying a nice/decent camera and iv narrowed it down to the above as i like the look of it and is reccomended by people off here.

My questions are:

1. Where is the cheepest place to buy these atm? Cheepest i have found is tesco.com
  2. These are only 6.6 Megapixel - I have a phone with better mp than that - Will this affect photo quality? EG will they still look proffesional?
  3. Is the standard lense that comes with it adequate as i wont be able to afford anything flash untill I get used to photography/the camera
  4. Finally what is the best place to look for guuides/explinations on photography basics and things you can do? I will be an utter noob so it will be a case of farting about with it and not really knowing what im doing.
I appreciate some of this has been covered but couldn't really find anything on google/searching here and just wanted to condense my points into one thread :)

Thank you guys/gals.

Luke!

Get a D50 instead, thats what most people off here will tell you, I shoot Canon so don't know much about N*****

FF RB 182
Gaz has a D40. Only problem he's having now is a lack of affordable lenses, and down on a few modes etc.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
cant really buy from ebay/off someone privately mate as i am buying it on my credit card to take advantage of my 0% interest. Thought i would treat myself!

I would rather buy new too as i know exactly what i am getting and a warrenty etc.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
  mk5 fiesta zetec s
yeah that book is best 10 quid i spent. tells you loads and loads in their.

i wouldnt worry about the features mate, it has loads on that will keep you busy.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
cant really buy from ebay/off someone privately mate as i am buying it on my credit card to take advantage of my 0% interest. Thought i would treat myself!

I would rather buy new too as i know exactly what i am getting and a warrenty etc.

i buy off ebay with my credit card ;) just use paypal ;)

Fiat Panda 100hp
D40 is awesome. The lens thing is a minor issue, the better lenses all have built in motors anyway bar the nifty fifty.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
D40 is awesome. The lens thing is a minor issue, the better lenses all have built in motors anyway bar the nifty fifty.
was hoping you would post as i have seen your photos and if it has your seal of approval im in :cool: :D

i will tackle the lense when i learn how to use it and what is wrong with the current lense :)

Better than yours. C*nt.
WTF is that top one for!? taking pictures of space/boobies from far away.

the second one looks good - Lets see how much i get into it before i buy a lense that expensive.
Cheers, Mike :)

At 55cm long and weighing in at 6kg, I suspect it's for giving you back problems later in life.

And taking pictures of London from Inverness.

Better than yours. C*nt.
cheers mate. They are all so expensive :(

TBH the bottom lens I posted seems too good to be true - anyone had any experience of them? As I'm not sure whether to keep my D40 or go for something a bit better as I do miss my old 30D.

Fiat Panda 100hp
was hoping you would post as i have seen your photos and if it has your seal of approval im in :cool: :D

i will tackle the lense when i learn how to use it and what is wrong with the current lense :)

Lol. Thanks :eek:

I had the D40 with the standard kit lens for 1 1/2 years. I stopped myself from buying anything else until I knew the camera and the settings inside and out. Then I bought the ultra wide 10-20mm then a 50-150mm and then a 50mm.

TBH the bottom lens I posted seems too good to be true - anyone had any experience of them? As I'm not sure whether to keep my D40 or go for something a bit better as I do miss my old 30D.

It's a cracking lens. Chris on here used one for a while for his motorsport. Amazing glass for the price.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
cheers ben. When people add boarders etc and watermarks to their photography - i gather it is done in photoshop but do you have to do it for everyphoto or is there a way to batch process them?

Fiat Panda 100hp
cheers ben. When people add boarders etc and watermarks to their photography - i gather it is done in photoshop but do you have to do it for everyphoto or is there a way to batch process them?

Yes it's done in PS. You record a macro while doing one, and then batch the others from that macro. That's how I would do it, but I don't add borders and watermarks.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Go for it Luke, I love mine and learnt so much from just playing around with the settings. Although the kit lens is good, I would recommend trying to get a zoom lens too, I know you can get the body + 18-55 + 55-200 in some bundle deals. I think I lasted three days before I bought my 55-200mm lol!

Megane Mk4
My questions are:

1. Where is the cheepest place to buy these atm? Cheepest i have found is tesco.com
  2. These are only 6.6 Megapixel - I have a phone with better mp than that - Will this affect photo quality? EG will they still look proffesional?
  3. Is the standard lense that comes with it adequate as i wont be able to afford anything flash untill I get used to photography/the camera
  4. Finally what is the best place to look for guuides/explinations on photography basics and things you can do? I will be an utter noob so it will be a case of farting about with it and not really knowing what im doing.
1. Cheapest places will vary over time, best suggestion would be to look at a few as most place are now competing with each other to get your custom, Amazon/Ebay etc are like this all the time.
2. Forget megapixel size, it isn't what it has, it's how you use it that counts. I've had some excellent shots from a 2.1 MP point and shoot camera before now ;)
3. These vary again from make and model of camera. Again, depends on what your application will be, but as said your a beginner so shouldn't make much difference at this stage, although I will say that just because people have Nikon/Canon that those options are definitive and conclusive, there are other makes out there, best suggestion would be to go into any camera shop and play with different models. (don't let the salesperson walk you into a sale of a camera your not sure of either)
All camera's behave and work differently, you need to find one that suits you. Forget the "you need this" quotes. Playing with them personally before buying is a must! :)
4. Google is your best friend in this instance, they'll be loads of guides out there.

I have a D40, had it nearly 2 years. Over that time I've learnt how to use it and I am considering upgrading this year at some point, it's a great beginners camera and is so straightforward to use, it's childs play.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thankyou dudes.

out of curiosity - do bundle/pack lenses vary as every bundle i have found comes with a 18-55 lense?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Thankyou dudes.

out of curiosity - do bundle/pack lenses vary as every bundle i have found comes with a 18-55 lense?

Thats the standard kit lens dude that Nikon issue as almost a 'starter pack' if you like.

Bundles with other lens's are generally put together by the shops rather than the suppliers AFAIK.

I'm pretty sure Amazon used to do a bundle containing the 18-55 & 55-200.

LoW clio Sh*t...&..
Just bought a D40 mate.. Its just class and is really good.. highly recommend it to u as ur a beginner as well like me.. No point buying an expense camera as after all its not about the camera but its about the quality u posses in taking it.. ;)

bought mine from amazon as well..

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Cheers mate- is it easy to use etc? I think i am buying a nikon as i have had a play with a friends (about 4 mins to be preceise) and really liked it

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
I got a D40 a few months ago, still got alot to learn, but you can take some really good pics with it.