ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on buying a cheap-ish D-SLR?

Freetrack&Monaco 172
Guys,Looking at buying myself a Digital SLR on a budget as got a 'little one' on the way in the summer and want to be able to take nice pics but not spend too much.Used to be an art/photography student before I got into electronics/IT/access control so I know my way round a camera. Currently very happy with the Panasonic Lumix TZ-10 I have, but would like to get into SLR world. I like to do a lot of long exposure photography, macro arty stuff, wide angle etc etc and my job takes me all over the world, so on my time off I end up wandering and taking 'arty' city shots (unless I can get out into countrysides depending where I am).I'm looking at a budget of about £280 - £300 ish, but no more really, and have so far been looking at Nikon D60's and Canon 350d's (both with the stock 18-55mm lens setups) which seem to be around my budget but I dont know if there are any other good options available to me........? Any advice would be great or anyone who is selling something in my budget please PM me the details!Anything with a flip out LCD panel would be good as I regulary take shots at some pretty strange angles (with 'usually' good results).....Will add some TZ-10 pics this evening at home so you can get an idea of what my current stuff looks like. I will probably still be using my Panasonic so its not a replacement camera I'm looking to get.Regards,Rob

The deciding factor between the entry models will probably be how it feels to hold/use.

First things first, go into Jessops or a local camera shop and try the Nikon/Canon.

How it feels is the most important thing. I don't like the way Canons handle/menus etc but many people are the opposite and don't like the Nikon. Hold it. Take a few shots. Play with the settings.

Go into a shop and play with what you can afford from Nikon/Canon and buy the one you prefer.

Freetrack&Monaco 172
I spend up to about 20 weeks of the year away so get to see a lot of places......which has good and bad implications, some places good and some bad.I got the impression compact systems were all out of my budget.....as being relatively new...?

There is a lot of choice, some of the new exciting ones like the pro 1 and em5 are pricey but have a look around for something like a nex 3 or 5, Olympus pen or Panasonic gf1,2,3.