ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D50 Offer

R26
Currys are doing the Nikon D50 with a 18-55mm lens kit for £377 is this a good deal? Anywhere doing it cheaper? Any similar DSLR's better around the price?

Advice appreciated cheers

£377 isn't bad, it's generally £399 in the shops so it's a bit of a saving.

And no you won't find another SLR as good for that price, especially with the equivalent of the Nikon kit lens which is excellent in my opinion. The 350D is the other main option but that is about £100 more.

I've recently added the Sigma 70-300mm lens to my D50, for £99 it's steal, got some amazing motorsport shots from it the first and so far only time I used it. So for £500 I have just about 18-300mm and haven't found a fault or annoyance with any of it yet.

Yaris Hybrid
I have been looking at the Canon 400D.

I am a n00b when it comes to DSLR's so can someone explain if you have an 18 to 55mm lens what is the equivalent zoom level to that of a compact digital camera which are always quote as 3x, 4x, 8x etc.

3x optical on a digital compact is generally equivalent to about 35-105mm on a 35mm camera, where as the 18-55mm lens on a DSLR is equivalent to 27-83mm (because the 350D and D50 etc don't have full size sensors, an '18-55mm' lens isn't actually that, it's longer at the tele end but also longer at the wide end, great for distant stuff, not so great for wide angle shots)

Yaris Hybrid
So it would be slightly better at wide angle compared to my 3x optical compact but won't have as much zoom?

The problem is if I get the 400D body with the lens I want I am gonna be paying over £900!!!

The other problem is that compacts are sh*t and I am fed up of their limitations! Ah well can't win!

So it would be slightly better at wide angle compared to my 3x optical compact but won't have as much zoom?

The problem is if I get the 400D body with the lens I want I am gonna be paying over £900!!!

The other problem is that compacts are sh*t and I am fed up of their limitations! Ah well can't win!

Basically yes, not as much zoom but more at the wide angle. Remember you get more scope for cropping with an SLR though, this was with the 18-55mm and in my opinion is pretty reasonable, unless you are getting huge prints done cropping is never a problem.

You really don't need ultra-expensive additional lens' though, I've seen enough images from people with basic DSLR equipment that completely blow £1000+ equipment pics out of the water. It's as much to do with practice and technique as anything.