ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon D5000, but which lense kit?

Dirty E91
Just looking for a bit of advice from the photography gurus really.

I've pretty much made my mind up that Im going to upgrade from my Pansonic Lumix FZ30 to a Nikon D5000 but was wondering which lense kit is the best to go for, you can get the basic kit which consists fo the 18-55 lense or the twin lense kit which adds the 55-200.

I primarily want the camera for pictures of my kids, missus, etc and the Pani is quite slow to focus especially in doors which frustrates me no end!

Would I be better off with the basic kit and maybe buying an additional lense like a 50mm prime lense as they seem to be quicker to focus and are generally better in the lower light conditions?

Suzuki Ignis
Could you stretch to this...

18-200mm, good all rounder and then get a separate 50mm 1.8 for low light stuff.

Dirty E91
Isn't that the same as the twin lense kit one?

Thing is I'm not really fussed about pics of things far away at the moment, just capturing the kids hence the 50mm lense.

Right, having been through more cameras that hot dinners I can give the following advice!

The 50mm f1.4 AF-S is expensive and I found it way too long on a crop sensor. My advise is to get the 35mm f1.8 AF-S. Its a great compact lens and will be great for indoors and pics of kids etc. Plus its much cheaper than the 50mm.

I would get the 18-55 VR kit lens pack + the 35mm and the 55-200 VR (Not the non VR) when you can afford it.

You will probably get addicted to the 35mm and it will sit on the camera most if the time!

The 18-200 is a nice all round lens that does everything well, but for the same money you can get the 55-200 AND 35mm with money to spare!!