ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob Lens questions

After actually spending a decent length of time playing with my camera at Trax I need to ask the photography gurus on here a few questions.

I've got a Nikon D3000 with the stock 18-55mm lens, I also borrowed a friends 70-300mm Tamron lens. I've decided I need to at very least pick up a 70-300mm for track/motorsport shots so any recommendations on good sensible priced Nikon fitment lenses would be good.

Also do any of you use the kit lens or bin them off in favour of a 50mm prime with a better f stop?

The kit lens is handy until you want something faster, so keep that until you want to change.

The 50mm f1.8 is nice and cheap for the high aperture, so worth having one anyway.

Not sure on the Nikon lens TBH, I've got the tamron 70-300 but the Sigma equivalent is better IMO, but others can tell you what the Nikkor is like.

www.camerapricebuster.com is the best place to scout new lens, then you have the usual places for second hand. talk photography, mpbphotographic etc...

I do like Bokeh so it does tempt me to get a faster prime but I do also like the ability to take fairly wide shots too so it leaves me thinking I'd like another fast prime around a 10-15mm.

Buying glass isn't a cheap business even for the entry level stuff so I'm worried I'll end up getting carried away.

What do most of you guys on here generally have in your bag in terms of lenses?

Fast primes aren't cheap at all. I want an 85mm, but just don't want to spend the money at the minute.

I'd get a 35mm f1.8 and see how you fair with that, a few on here have it and it seems decent.

I'm currently rocking a 50mm f1.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Tamron 70-300 f4.5, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 (borrowed long term).

I'd like a decent fast prime for the weddings etc I do though.

I have the Sigma 70-300mm. Does me good enough TBH. I'd like something faster but I rarely use the length.

As for kit lens, good for learning, kinda, but that's it. I got body only for my D90. I broke the 18-55mm I had and didn't replace it, just bought the 50mm and coped with that. Did me fine.

My fave lens lately is my Tamron. 17-50 f2.8. Sharp, fast, fairly wide and gives a bit of zoom. I have a 10-20mm Sigma too but I'm considering selling it to fund a Sigma 50-150mm f2.8

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Bear in mind mate that the D3000 doesn't have an in built focus motor (iirc) so if you buy a 'cheap' 50mm f/1.8 you'll have to focus manually. It really doesn't bother me, but can see why it would bother some.

I recently bought a fairly wide prime off ebay (Tamron 24mm f/2.8) which was cheap as it's a fcuking antique. It was a really good lens, for the 3 days it worked. Lol!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Fast primes aren't cheap at all. I want an 85mm, but just don't want to spend the money at the minute.

You heard of Samyang, Greg? IIRC they do a 85mm f/1.4 for a very decent price, but it's MF only.

It's a bit of a pain that ideally I'd need an AFS Equipped lens, I've not properly started comparing prices on anything yet but as a rule how much does it tend to bump the price up?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I've just checked and not as much as I'd thought! About £80 difference on Amazon, I'm tempted myself.

EDIT: That's in regards to the 50mm.

It's a bit of a pain that ideally I'd need an AFS Equipped lens, I've not properly started comparing prices on anything yet but as a rule how much does it tend to bump the price up?

It doesn't really matter as most lenses come with the AF built in.

The notable exception is the 50mm.

Am I being simple or is there any reason I can't see Nikon fitment Sigma and Tamron lenses on the camera price buster site?

I think I'll pick up a 70-300 first then maybe treat myself to a fast prime next year for my birthday.

Any recommendations on 70-300 lenses or decent sites with reviews/comparisons?

Bus w**ker
but I rarely use the length.
*Snigger*.

Anyway, I've got the same Sigma (but Canon fit) and hate it now. Too slow and way too soft at full stretch, plus the aperture range is s**t. So planning to replace it with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, I was thinking about going the extra for the IS but I'll not really benefit from it I don't think so save near enough £800 and go without.

Love my 50mm though and want a nice wide like the 10-22mm but may drop to the Sigma 10-20mm and save some money as I'll rarely use the lens TBH.

I think I'll pick up a 70-300 first then maybe treat myself to a fast prime next year for my birthday.

Any recommendations on 70-300 lenses or decent sites with reviews/comparisons?

Si I tend to find a lens on that camerapricebuster site that is in my price range and then copy the complex name, and google reviews on it.

Glad your camera got another outing!

Good suggestion, will take a look.

Me too, noticed improvement of my shots in the ones I took of the cars out on track when looking through from start to finish. Still plenty more to learn but more shots I take I guess the better I'll get with selecting shutter speeds etc and panning/framing.

*Snigger*.

Anyway, I've got the same Sigma (but Canon fit) and hate it now. Too slow and way too soft at full stretch, plus the aperture range is s**t. So planning to replace it with the Canon 70-200mm f2.8L USM, I was thinking about going the extra for the IS but I'll not really benefit from it I don't think so save near enough £800 and go without.

Love my 50mm though and want a nice wide like the 10-22mm but may drop to the Sigma 10-20mm and save some money as I'll rarely use the lens TBH.

I'm guessing the next step up from the Sigma you'd be talking over £400? If so I'm sure as a starter lens it'll serve its purpose. If I spend a lot of time with a camera to hand or feel my skills have improved enough to justify the cost then I'll look in to a better lens.

At that price So, I'd hit add to basket! With all due respect it won't be a limiting factor in your photography, at least not for a short while:D

Merc A class
The 35mm is a great lens i also use sigma 17-70 and a 70-300

Looking at upgrading to a 300f.4 :D

And in my Canon bag

i use a 18-120 (kit lens)

and 85f1.2 This is the best lens i have used to date!

Nice choice, I would buy that before the zoom but I know we have different photo needs lol!

In honesty I think my Mac will be replaced before either, it really didn't like editing the RAW files so I gave up trying in the end.

I might end up buying the prime and the 70-300 at the same time tbh.

Merc A class
Riad, you have the 85F1.2? That is one magical lump of glass and metal!!

I dont own it but i have the use of it 24/7 yeah its a great bit of kit. Some times it worries me using is seen as its worth so much! haha

Cupra
I borrowed one a while back and treated it with kid gloves. They look ace on the front of a camera too. I can never justify that price tag though. :(

2.2 bar shed.
Thought about the Nikon 80 - 200? Not sure if it'll AF on the D3000 as quite frankly the Nikon lens range confuses me.

The 35 1.8 is a fantastic lens. If there was a Canon equivalent I'd have bought it years ago.

Oil Burner
What i have learnt about buying lenses.... Don't buy cheap glass to tide you over. Defiantly don't buy it new.

Wait until you can afford a lens like a 50mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 80-200 or 70-200. Buy them used. If you buy new your just throwing money away.