ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nikon worth so much more?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Sigma 70-300mm APO - £180-ish

Nikon 70-300mm VR - £390-ish

A massive difference between these to justify the price difference?

I'm using a Nikon D60, am just getting into photography, need it majorly for F1 next month and want to go to other motoring/racing events but also want to try some wildlife photography too.

Have thought about renting, but as I want to use the lens a lot, I think it'd be too expensive an option.

I would imagine, however I dont know as I am not familiar with current Nikons, but that quality of glass in the Nikon would be better. Justifiably more than twice the price? Personal opinion tbh.

I'm a bit Natalie Imbruglia on it atm. I want some zoom and the Sigma is a cracking lens. The Chris' (Clart and Ukaskew) both got great results with theirs.

I have shakey hand syndrome so the VR will be better for me I think, its just extra cost that I'm not sure about.. I should have bought the Sigma one at Christmas but I dithered. It was only £100 then :(

Revels what do you want to use it for? I have terrible shakey hand but I was fine without image stabilization when doing panning shots.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Nikon's suck - Aimed at Revels for his post on the broken Canon....
Its practically the glass\speed of the lens\most importantly the VR.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
£100! Shame I only bought my camera recently, and the route to DSLR was a last minute choice. The VR works impressively, I have the 18-55mm VR and you can notice the difference. But unsure if it will help much when panning.

I'd assume Nikon glass is better, but £200 better? As much as it is about great quality, I'd like value for money too. £200 would go nicely to the new iPhone fund.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Forgot to add - I found panning shots easier without the image stabilization, Low ISO does the job helps that the shutter speed is faster too.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
image stabilisation will have absolutely no effect on panning shots or moving subjects.

Personally I'd go for the sigma and use the price diff to get a prime.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Doh, wonder why it has to fit nikon in the title

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIGMA-70-300m...3|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

This ones fits?

Not APO and not AF-S unfortunately.

lol, who else has just made an offer on that lens?

What did you offer?

Me? I didn't make an offer.

image stabilisation will have absolutely no effect on panning shots or moving subjects.

Personally I'd go for the sigma and use the price diff to get a prime.

Oh I see, so VR would only help with say still shots of animals etc at long zoom?

I'll probably be doing more panning than anything else so, VR doesn't seem justified for the odd few shots, so it seems its the Sigma for me!

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
As far as I am aware, Nikon will have better optics overall. That being said, Sigma's IQ is not that far behind. Im not sure if the VR on that lens can detect horizontal movement and lock the VR for panning.

I would say go with the Sigma for now. When you hit a limit, youll find shopping for primes will come into play.

If you want something longer for a few days, check out lensesforhire.

I would go with Sigma 99.9% of the time if they are directly comparable lens' with a massive price difference. In this instance I would go with the Sigma 70-300 every time, it's a belter. In fact I would save myself more and get the non-APO version (if an AF-S version exists)

In my opinion you don't need a fast lens if you primarily take panning shots anyhow, I've never taken the ISO above 200 when shooting motorsport, in fact I never even think about it. If anything I'm bouncing off the f22 limit, not the other way around.

VR does have an effect on panning if you use the correct mode (usually the second option) as it can correct vertical movement only, which is the main cause of blurry panning shots. That said, I would still switch it off as if you throw any interesting angles or such things at it then it may get confused and try to correct something you don't want it to correct.

TBH I was sucked in to the VR appeal when I was using my D60. but now I am using the Olympus which has no form of stabilistation at all I am finding myself making more use of all the settings and its been great!!

APO version 100% - having to manual focus all the time is not my thing and the APO will AF with the D60.

nikon is the better optic, it has VR and AFS focus motor wither it is actually worth more is down to the person buying it lol.

Sigma 70-300mm APO - £180-ish

Nikon 70-300mm VR - £390-ish

A massive difference between these to justify the price difference?

I'm using a Nikon D60, am just getting into photography, need it majorly for F1 next month and want to go to other motoring/racing events but also want to try some wildlife photography too.

Have thought about renting, but as I want to use the lens a lot, I think it'd be too expensive an option.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Cheers guys. Reviews on here and elsewhere seem very good for both, so I can't justify the extra £200 if it won't make a massive difference. Sigma it is! :)

Cheers for all input! Much appreciated everyone!

^^^ The Siggy APO has a small AFS motor in it - not as quick as Nikon but will AF with the D60.

sigma lens in nikon mount is driven by the internal focus screw on the nikon body. in canon mount it uses a standard micromotor not HSM

^^^^

Not true. The 70-300 APO is motorised (not HSM but a different type of motor), and not by a internal focus screw (the D40/D60 does not have one).

From DP Review:

'Sigma offers Nikon D40 and D60 DSLR owners more reach for less outlay with the launch of two tele zooms with built-in focus motors. The popular 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro lenses in both standard and APO flavors have been motorized for owners of Nikon's D40 and D60 which lack support for tradition screw focusing.'

Last edited: