ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What to get? Used Nikon D3s or New D610?

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
I think I have seen so many reviews it's ridiculous!!

I am looking to go full frame (currently shoot Nikon D7000 & D7100 with a D300 as a back up) and wanted something that would be good in low light.

I shoot weddings and press stuff mainly and the occasional music concert/festival.

The obvious one to go for is the D3s, faster FPS (for press), excellent low light performance and better AF. It does however have dual CF cards, I have a few from my D300 but I have had a couple of cards get corrupt which doesn't give me much confidence if I am shooting a wedding. SD cards have never (touch wood) let me down, and I have a lot of them.

The D3s is also a beast and heavy too, its shutter is also a bit clunky which isn't great at the ceremony in a wedding. It is however weather sealed and could probably take a drop or 2 (or be used to whack harry styles if the chance ever arose).

I don't mind the 12mp, I can easily work with that, but the 24mp from the D610 is equally workable too.

I have seen noise tests comparing the D610 and the D3s and only above 6400 ISO does it become a proper test, and not a huge one either.

The D610 is lighter, probably not much different from my D7000 but only does 6fps, which although not much worry with weddings, it is for press work.

Looking on ebay (and every camera shop in the UK) the average good condition used D3s goes between £1800-£2300 Whereas I can buy the body only D610 from Panamoz for £985.15 and the grip from Digital Rev for £179.00 leaving me with a good amount of spare cash left over and a 2 year UK (non Nikon) warranty for the camera (have used Panamoz before for a return and they are excellent).

What do peoples think? I would probably use the D7000 with my Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 lens and the FX camera with my Tamron 70-200mm VC lens The D7100 would then be a back up (due to its shocking buffer).

:S

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Looking at the specs of the d610 I would go for that if you are tied to a budget or I would consider a secondhand d800? save a little extra cash up, its worth the extra ££. I have given mine a pasting this last year and its by far the best move I ever made.

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
The D800 is too low on FPS for me, if it had the same 6FPS on the D610 or higher I would go to it, but 4.5fps is just too low for my work. Also, the file sizes on the D800 are probably huge and my workload on my computer would get very slow, I know you don't have to shoot at the full res, but I don't see much point in buying it if I don't use it to it's full potential.

The only other semi-pro would be the rather old D700.