ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No Claims question

Clio MK 4
I currently have 8 years no claims. If i were to sell my car and have no car for say 3 years, will i then, come that 3 years still be able to say i have 8 years no claims when i buy a new car?

is1

Integra Type R DC2
I was told by Aviva that the maximum "gap" they will accept is 2 years.
I left my company car scheme and bought my own car because I did not want my no claims bonus to lapse, as it were.

Clio MK 4
cool so probably depends on insurances. Basically want to sell my car and save up loads for a new car. but really don't want to start from scratch with no claims.

05 clio dynamique
Seeing as you must be over 21, get an old banger of a golf. Put it on classic car insurance, you can get it for literally like £10 a month.

MR2 Mk1.5
2 years with most, 3 years with a small minority of insurers.

From an insurers perspective, someone with a 2 year gap in NCB is more of a risk than someone with continuous NCB, this is obviously statistically driven.

ITB BG 182
As people have suggested, get a banger of a car or say its a classic that will only be driven to and from 4/5 car shows a year but garage it or bomb it on the back yard if possible.

My sister does this for her mk1 xr2 that is completly box standard, her insurance costs some thing silly like £100 to £150 per year, still then shes only allowed to go out to some thing classed as a car show or Ford event. Shes done this for around 4 years now and has maximum no claims still available.

MR2 Mk1.5
My sister does this for her mk1 xr2 that is completly box standard, her insurance costs some thing silly like £100 to £150 per year, still then shes only allowed to go out to some thing classed as a car show or Ford event. Shes done this for around 4 years now and has maximum no claims still available.

I'd tell her to check that, it sounds like a classic car policy which is unlikely to accrue NCB

Clio 182
Do you actually have to buy a car? Always wondered about that. Can't you just go TPFT on your missus' car? (not as a named driver obviously) Or can you only have one policy per car?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
3 year gap you also only needed to insure something for a single year in the middle!!

ie, no insurance for one year, insure something (anything) for a year, then no insurance for the next!!

if you have a gf or someone you share a car with, just alternate who the main driver on the policy is! they might potentially loose 2 years NCB but many companies only accept up to 5 anyways (then it just becomes 5+ NCB)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It's 2 years with all the names I've heard of. Technically you don't even need to buy a banger, just find a registration plate for a car that's no longer on the road (just look in a scrap yard or think of a car you've written off) and take a policy out for it just to ensure you keep your NCD. Probably not the most honest way round it but it would get the job done for the smallest outlay.

ITB BG 182
I'd tell her to check that, it sounds like a classic car policy which is unlikely to accrue NCB

Its just normal car insurance so she keeps the NCB rolling and topped up, was offered 'classic' car or well 'show car' insurance but was told it was more restrictive and NCB might be affected.