ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No lambda sensors (effect performance??? )

Renault Clio 172
Hi, I've got a decat pipe on my ph2 172 and both my lambda sensors were welded into my old cat pipe, obviously since then my engine management light has been on, and my car stinks of pure petrol because there is no information been sent to the ecu as sensors missing. Dose this effect performance without sensors????

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Hi, I've got a decat pipe on my ph2 172 and both my lambda sensors were welded into my old cat pipe, obviously since then my engine management light has been on, and my car stinks of pure petrol because there is no information been sent to the ecu as sensors missing. Dose this effect performance without sensors????

Wont be helping at all not having em on, car is being constantly overfulled, running to rich. yes will affect performance greatly.

Renault Clio 172
Thought so, it's been running like a bag of old bullocks, cheers mike glad iv got some on the way

Changes to often
I think it will just run at a default setting, but yes im sure performance and MPG's will be effected slightly

Renault Clio 172
Whats default settings richd???? And yer mpg has defo gone down. Just doesn't feel as responsive as it used too.

Your ECU will run a "closed loop system." This means that it takes a "best guess" at the amount of fuel to inject given the amount of air ingested. It then looks at the value given by the o2 (aka "lambda") sensor and works out a "lambda value" from your exhaust gases to see whether there was too much or too little fuel injected. It then adjusts the amount of fuel injected in the near future to try to correct the error. This repeats in a "closed" and never-ending "loop."

Without a lambda sensor it can't constantly check the amount of fuel burnt, meaning it can't adjust as well to (for example) cold weather or throttle position changes.

As you've already noticed, poor MPG and the smell of fuel is annoying. I suppose long/medium/short (don't know - ask a mechanic?) term you risk carbonising your injectors/spark plugs by running too rich.

Last edited: