ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No power surge

Since fitting my Supersprint 70mm race system on my mk1 172 which does away with the cat ive noticed that i no longer get the power surge that you get at about 4500rpm.It definetley sees to pick up alot faster from lower down the rev range but you dont get the boost at 4500.Im not saying its slower im just wondering what the difference is,maybe its because its givin it more lowdown power that the change at 4.5k is not as noticable.I have since put a r-sport ecu and Hillpower IK on it but its not made the 4.5 surge come back.

Dogmaul did you notice this when you had the exhaust on your car?

Cheers for any help.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Thats probably because theres less back pressure and the car is making more power & torque low down now, so no sudden step change as the car comes on cam at higher revs...

Be interesting to see/hear what other Supersprint users have experienced!

woo hoo :) basically it just changes the torque and power curve there is a huge flatspot in the 172 for about 500 rpm at about 4500 rpm i found the exhaust flaterns it out a bit

So i take it you used to feel the change at 4.5 and when you had the exhaust on this disappeared?I know you had it on the rolling road and i take it this showed this,ill need to get mine on a RR soon to see the difference.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 03 March 2004

there is a huge flatspot in the 172 for about 500 rpm at about 4500 rpm i found the exhaust flaterns it out a bit
For power, torque, or both?!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 03 March 2004

look at any 172s rr graph.

its pretty obvious
Theyre all bloody different though...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

but they all have the surge. well the std ones do.

my f**king car does it twice

once at 4k and again at 6k (not that i have ever been past 4k cos im running it in but imagine i would)

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, I know they all have the surge, but some more than others...

My point was that the RR graphs are all over the place and can look very different, so no two graphs are the same!

VaVa

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 03 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 03 March 2004

only surge i get is at 4500 rpm
Mine doesnt surge until around 5000rpm

Nor mine... seems to go flat for a few hundred rpm, then..... you know the rest!!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i bet the supersprint has just improved low down torque so reducing the power kick you feel at about 4500>5000rpm.mines seems to pick up at 4500 but it really kicks in at 5000rpm.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

sorry to be off topic but dogmaul i forgot them prices will let you know tomorrow,sos bud.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

i normally get 40% off parts like brakes so well have to see.let you know tomorrow anyway.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 03 March 2004

i bet the supersprint has just improved low down torque so reducing the power kick
Well if it has improved the low down torque then its still got less low/mid range power & torque than my Cup (which is standard apart from Viper) and still I do a strong surge at 500rpm!!!

Me vs Dogmaul >>>

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076097523__Dogmaul_vs_Rich-D_RR_Graph_01.jpg

You can clearly see that the Supersprint on Dogmauls car allows the power to keep on going, wheras myt standard exhaust is restrictive at higher revs!

Definately to do with back pressures IMO